Mexican steak with homemade refried beans. Topped with homemade red enchilada sauce, avocado & cheese. Please accept cookies for optimal performance. Cover the refried beans with a layer of the Daiya cheddar cheese. (1) Wipe out the skillet and set over medium-high heat, then cook quesadillas one at a time until lightly browned and crisp on the outside and melty on the inside, flipping once, about 5 minutes per side. Easy Spanish Rice Recipe; Refried Bean … I also think it is key to cook the quesadilla in butter, but this is not necessary. Happy weeknight dinner or game day party. Sign up for the Veg Out newsletter to get vegan recipes and nutrition content from a Registered Dietitian! Mince the garlic. The three most important ingredients in a refried bean quesadilla are tortillas, vegan refried beans, and non-dairy cheese. One issue that needs to be solved with vegan or dairy free quesadillas is they tend to fall apart. Luckily, there’s plenty of ways to spice up a plant-based quesadilla because herbs and spices that flavour our food come from plants! Good! Spread refried beans on half of each tortilla, and top with red pepper cream cheese, sliced avocado, and chopped baby spinach. August 12, 2010 by Tiffany King 14 Comments. Filed Under: Vegan Dinner Recipes, Vegan Recipes Tagged With: Avocado, Cilantro, Herbs and spices, Legumes, Mexican, Plant-based protein, Taco Seasoning, Vegetables, Whole grains, Your email address will not be published. Why hoard happiness, right? Cheesy Tuna and Olive Quesadilla's with Homemade Refried Beans In this house we like eating fish twice a week. I love, too, that you can awesome these guys up a little bit with pickled onions and cilantro sauce, both of which have been big winners around here for years and can be made in advance. This is one of those times. It started with a crockpot full of refried beans. Refried Bean Quesadillas – 5 Minute Meal. Featured More Recipes! We're brimming with real talk about the things that matter most — family, food, home, and adventure — and I hope you'll love digging in. So. Fold the quesadillas and gently press to seal. Along with avocado and. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. With refried bean quesadillas! Tag us on Instagram at @umamgirl and use the hashtag #umamigirl. I consider a nutritionally balanced meal one that contains protein, carbs (including fibre), healthy fats and vegetables! Optional to flip halfway through. Stir in taco seasoning to coat the veggies. WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGGIE QUESADILLAS. Check out these black bean quesadillas and ground turkey quesadillas! Add the quesadillas to the skillet without … Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Mix in … Fold the tortilla over to form a half circle. These vegetarian enchiladas are gluten free too. Well, hello there. Build the quesadillas Lay the whole wheat flour tortillas on a flat surface. Use oil or oil spray to prevent sticking and ensure a crispy, golden brown quesadilla. Take a tortilla and lay it flat. Sign Up for Email ... (and fast) quesadillas are filled with creamy refried beans, scrambled eggs, cheese and avocado. Vegetarian. Spray the baking tray (covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper) with oil spray. UG is a lifestyle site for curious, thoughtful people who seek to make every day a little special and have a great time doing it. Lay the vegetables out on a baking sheet and place into a hot oven to cook. This post contains affiliate links (including Amazon Associates) and I earn from qualifying purchases. This blend of spices is perfect for any Mexican recipe you are making. Smoky Cashew Cheese (recipe below) Refried Beans (recipe below) Sautéed Onions (recipe below) Recipe Notes Pumpkin Leek Risotto Recipe | Vegan & Gluten Free, Vegan Apple Turnovers Recipe with Phyllo Pastry (Dairy Free), Vegan Shortcrust Pastry Recipe for Pie or Tarts (Dairy Free, Eggless). 315 shares. As a vegan Registered Dietitian, I empower vegans to live a balanced life and gain confidence in the kitchen. … Read More, The Difference between a Dietitian vs Nutritionist, These vegan quesadillas hold together for easy flipping due to the tasty spiced refried beans! Spread each with 1/4 of the refried beans and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 of the cheese, leaving about a 1/4-inch border around the edge to account for melting. Or (2) Preheat oven and two sheet pans to 400°F. Top each with 1/4 cup chicken and 1/4 cup cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. So. Without using cheese, this dairy free quesadilla holds together well and is a great addition to your taco Tuesday rotation! Vegan Quesadillas with Smoky Cheese and Refried Beans. Things don’t have to be fancy to be good. Ingredients . I love these recipes that are equally at home as a quick family dinner and a game-day appetizer. But sometimes they have to be NOT fancy to be good. I’ve lately taken to serving an herb vinaigrette on the side as a dipping sauce. I have never used canned refried beans because eeew, so usually when I need refried beans I do a weird half-hearted stovetop thing with canned pinto or black beans and then sort of mush them up and, well, they aren’t very good. Place one tortilla on each sheet pan (or two if you have very large pans and can fit them) and bake for 5 minutes, then flip and bake about 5 minutes more. Place one of the four remaining tortillas on top of each quesadilla. Stir the lime juice into the mashed avocado. Add garlic and cook, … But it also makes use of some seriously easy ingredients. But we had these quesadillas over the weekend, and Sunday is the Super Bowl, and it just seems crazy not to share this easy vegetarian happiness right this minute. 10 Minutes Prep 20 Minutes Total 2 Servings Expert Tips. UG is a lifestyle site for curious, thoughtful people who seek to make every day a little special and have a great time doing it. Fan of quesadillas? Fold the other half of the tortilla over the top of the filling and lightly press down to seal. First, you will need to prepare the sweet potato. Therefore I'm always looking for new ways to use different types of fish in my meals. Flavour is the most important factor to me when creating recipes because there’s no point eating bland or boring food. This vegan quesadilla recipe is made with refried beans and avocado for a delicious and healthy dinner! Vegan Mediterranean Salad with Couscous and Chickpeas. You can use a store bought sour cream or make your own! Instead, I like to use a can of refried beans to hold all the tasty vegetables in the filling together. Spray hot pans with cooking spray. Drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat all the veggies. If you don’t like cilantro, parsley, or another herb you enjoy, works as well (oregano is a nice choice). If you can’t find vegan refried beans that meet your criteria, you can take some cooked or canned (rinse and drain if using a can) pinto or black beans, and mash them up yourself. May the peace of the Superb Owl be with you always. In a 12-inch skillet (nonstick or cast iron), warm the olive oil over medium heat. Canned refried beans and shredded Mexican cheese blend, anyone? We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can certainly use a vegan or dairy free cheese alternative but these ingredients aren’t always easy to find and can be pricey. Welcome to Lettuce Veg Out, a vegan recipe and nutrition website created by Nicole Stevens, MSc, RD. Stir in the refried beans, corn and cilantro and heat through. Normally fish nights are Mondays and Fridays most of the time. Okay, here’s the base recipe: Ingredients (1 serving): 6 – 8 in. Not that. Besides the mandatory cheese, vegetarian refried beans also go into these quesadillas; this is a great way to use up that can lurking in your pantry. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bean-cheese-quesadillas Read More…, Your email address will not be published. Place your second tortilla on top of the existing tortilla on the skillet. Ingredients. It adds a ton of flavour, and however much spice you like! Otherwise, they're great with sour cream and your favorite jarred salsa. Add the cumin and cook … Finely dice the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms. These are seriously easy and so good! This easy and satisfying vegetarian quesadilla recipe is equally at home as a family dinner or a party appetizer. I think that home made refried beans are the #1 reason to buy a crockpot. Place the quesadillas onto the tray and lightly spray the tops of the quesadillas. Preheat the refried beans before assembling the quesadillas, this step cuts down on cooking time. Optional to pan fry the quesadillas in a large pan or griddle. Makes 3 quesadillas, serves 3-4. Sprinkle with some cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas with refried beans & vegetables like zucchini, sweet corn makes a quick mexican meal. This vegetarian quesadilla recipe is packed with satisfying flavor, not to mention a nice hearty dose of fiber from refried beans and sautéed spinach. These refried bean and cheese quesadillas, are filled with refried beans, and cheese and can be made with unlimited vegetarian filling and toppings, including poblano peppers, salsa, black olives, pickled jalapenos, black olives, and extra cheese… If you share your creation on social media be sure to tag me @lettucevegout because I’d love to see what you make! That’s not how it works. 4 to 5 ounces arugula or baby spinach; One 15-to 16-ounce can refried beans (any vegan variety) Four 12-inch flour tortillas or wraps Using a potato masher or fork, mash the potatoes. Home » Recipes » Mexican » Vegetarian Quesadilla Recipe with Refried Beans, January 30, 2018 / Updated Jun 08, 2020 / by Carolyn Gratzer Cope / 1 Comment. This Epic Vegetarian taco formula gives chilled pinto beans, velvety avocado sauce, quick-pickled onions, and fresh garnishes. I hope you enjoy this recipe for vegan quesadillas with avocado and refried beans. That’s DEFINITELY not what the Superb Owl would do. Vegan Quesadillas with Refried Beans, Balsamic Red Peppers and Avocado By Heather • February 16, 2013 • Avocado, Balsamic vinegar, Brunch, Kidney beans, Peppers, Sandwiches, Wraps & Rolls, Savoury, Tacos & Burritos, Tomatoes. The other week I was nosing about in my… Preheat the oven to 400 °F and prep a baking tray by covering it with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. 1 tablespoon sunflower oil; 1 small yellow onion, diced; 4 cloves garlic, pressed; 1/2 red bell pepper, diced; 1/2 green bell pepper, diced; 9 white button mushrooms, diced; 2 large handfuls fresh spinach, … Using tongs add some of the roasted veggies to half of the tortilla. This casual meat-free main is a cheap and cheerful way to fill up your friends 30 mins . Ingredients. Spread 1/3 cup bean mixture over half of each tortilla. How to Make Spicy Mayo Even Better (For Sushi and Beyond), Easy Side Dish: The Best Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe, Spinach Tortellini Soup: An Easy Tortellini Soup Recipe, Easy Vegetarian Ramen with Rich, Savory Broth, Best Lobster Roll Recipe: How to Make a Lobster Roll, Cilantro Sauce Recipe for Tacos, Nachos, and More, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling, Boeuf Bourguignon: A Recipe to Welcome Fall, Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soup with Navy Beans, Shredded Chicken Tacos (Quick & Easy for Weeknights), Strawberry Agua Fresca // Strawberry Water, Chicken Poblano Soup with Corn, Black Beans, and Potatoes, Chicken Enchiladas + Black Bean-Zucchini Enchiladas, 8 12-inch flour tortillas (burrito-sized), 32 ounces canned vegetarian refried beans. Advertisement. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tortilla is crispy. These Vegetarian Quesadillas are ready in less than 30 minutes and made in one pan for easy clean up . Welcome! A delicious vegetable quesadilla made with spinach, peppers, mushrooms and refried beans. Stir in the refried beans, corn and cilantro and heat through. To assemble quesadillas: Evenly spread a layer of refried black beans on a tortilla. Place four of the tortillas on work surface. Your email address will not be published. Divide the cooked Refried Beans evenly between the Burrito Wraps, spreading evenly across the surface leaving a half inch border round the edges. How to Make Quesadillas with Refried Beans Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut into wedges, top with pickled onions, cilantro sauce, sliced avocado and sour cream if you want to go nuts like I always do. Learn more, Vegetarian Quesadilla Recipe with Refried Beans, « Greek Scrambled Eggs and Veggies with Savory Roasted Potatoes. • In quesadillas, fill your quesadillas with delicious beans and cheese • Pair it with super easy Mexican Rice, for a fast and affordable dinner • Plus I have a soup coming out soon that uses refried beans … We’re also using onion, garlic and cilantro for lots of delicious flavour. Cover half of one tortilla with ¼ of the mashed avocado (1/2 of an avocado) and ¼ of the prepared filling. Wash the cilantro, remove large stems and chop the remaining leaves (discard stems). Meatless (Vegetarian) 15 Minute Meal; Slow Cooker; Easy Side Dish Recipes; Freezer Cooking; Desserts; Instant Pot; Weekly Meal Plans; Member Login; Facebook; Pinterest; Instagram ; Everyday Food for Busy People. Note: Accuracy of nutrition information cannot be guaranteed (certain ingredients may not have all nutrients listed in the database); amounts may vary (and will vary depending on brands of ingredients used); all nutrition fact values rounded to the nearest whole number. This veggie lover taco formula highlights refried pinto beans, rich avocado sauce, brisk salted onions, and new trimmings. If you are vegan or plant-based, be aware that many refried bean options contain lard (animal fat) so aren’t vegetarian or vegan friendly. These meatless tacos will please even basically the most resolved carnivores throughout your life. There’s no cheese to hold the filling together. For the quesadilla, place one tortilla in a heated frying pan, spread over half of the refried beans and scatter over half of the chargrilled pepper and mushrooms. Add in a bit of tomato paste, and proceed with the recipe below! Repeat for the other 3 wraps. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *. This recipe checks off all those boxes with protein from the beans (and corn), carbs from the tortilla wrap and refried beans, fibre in the tortilla and veggies plus healthy fat from the avocado. Cook the onion, pepper, mushrooms and garlic in a pan with the 1 tbsp oil on medium heat for 5 minutes or until the veggies have softened. Subscribe to our email updates, and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube. This recipe uses my homemade vegan taco seasoning recipe. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 4 to 8 flour tortillas, or tortillas of choice* Oil of choice for frying/baking the quesadillas . Or you can just break out your favorite jarred salsa and some sour cream and expect a lot of happy campers without a minute’s additional work. I like to bake quesadillas because I find it to be the easiest method but you can pan fry these plant-based quesadillas with some oil (or oil spray) for extra flavour and crunch. Onto one half of it, spread about one sixth of the refried … Fill your vegan quesadillas. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Open your refried beans and paint a generous portion onto the tortilla. 21 ratings 5.0 out of 5 star rating. Vegetable and Refried Bean Quesadillas. You’ve got two great options for topping this vegetarian quesadilla: awesome it up with pickled onions and cilantro sauce, or make it super easy with jarred salsa and some sour cream. Remove the kale from the pot and set aside. I’m Carolyn Gratzer Cope, and Umami Girl is your guide to a life well-lived. Serves 4. Stir together refried beans and drained tomatoes in medium bowl. Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. I spread 1/4 of that mixture over soft flour tortillas, and again topped it generously with shredded cheese. Add the Refried Beans to a large pan and heat through as per the packet guidelines. Yes, this black bean and avocado veggie quesadilla recipe really is as quick and easy as it sounds. Psst...I don't often bother with this, but if you're the type of cook who likes top-secret pro-tip lifehacks, you can bake your quesadillas between two sheet pans to crisp both sides at the same tine and not have to flip them. Divide the diced vegetables and Serrano Green Chillies evenly between the Burrito Wraps, covering one half of each. This trick works really well! Look for refried beans that use oil instead. Required fields are marked *, Welcome! WWTSOD? 69 ratings 4.7 out of 5 star rating. It’s Tuesday, and Tuesdays are not usually new recipe days on Umami Girl. If you’re looking to round out the meal with a little extra sustenance, you can’t go wrong with Spanish Rice, Charro Beans, or a hearty avocado dip. Stir in taco seasoning to coat the veggies. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2 mins. We'd love to see! Sure to please even the pickiest breakfast eater. My 2nd refried bean quesadillas are a vegetarian version. Vegetarian . We'll reshare our favorites. Next, add in the refried beans, salsa, kale and vegan cheese. Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges would also pair nicely with the flavor profile of these Veggie Quesadillas! Crockpot refried beans… Filling Prep. Substitute cheese with vegan cheese for a hearty vegan fare. Easy . Cook the onion, pepper, mushrooms and garlic in a pan with the 1 tbsp oil on medium heat for 5 minutes or until the veggies have softened. This vegetarian quesadilla recipe is chock-full of hearty refried beans, three types of cheese, corn and crunchy corn chips for good measure. Refried bean quesadillas. Black or pinto refried beans will work — they actually help anchor the shredded cheese when you’re putting them together. This is an updated post: Original post date March 2017. I mixed a can of fat free vegetarian refried beans with 1/2 cup of whole kernel corn, sliced green onions (I used 2 onions), and 1/4 tsp ground cumin. Set your skillet to medium and place your tortilla on the skillet to warm. I’m Carolyn Gratzer Cope, and Umami Girl is your guide to a life well-lived. Don’t forget to serve your vegan quesadillas with salsa and vegan sour cream as well! All the flavours of a good beef chilli con carne in a fraction of the time, cook it in a frying pan or on the bbq 40 mins . Also think it is key to cook the quesadilla in butter, but this is an updated post: post... Half circle spread 1/4 of that mixture over half of the four remaining tortillas on vegetarian quesadilla with refried beans the. 12, 2010 by Tiffany King 14 Comments otherwise, they 're great with sour cream or your... These meatless tacos will please even basically the most important factor to me when creating recipes because there ’ no. To taste and toss to coat all the tasty vegetables in the filling and spray. Delicious flavour our email updates, and YouTube there ’ s Tuesday, and YouTube refried! Avocado, and non-dairy cheese, 2010 by Tiffany King 14 Comments i spread 1/4 of mixture... Next time i comment for frying/baking the quesadillas substitute cheese with vegan or dairy free quesadillas is tend. Down to seal fresh garnishes learn more, Vegetarian quesadilla recipe really is as and! Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and new trimmings sauce, quick-pickled onions, and with! Nutrition content vegetarian quesadilla with refried beans a Registered Dietitian, i empower vegans to live a balanced and. Spray the baking tray by covering it with parchment paper ) with oil spray to prevent sticking and a. ( covered with a layer of refried beans to a life well-lived per the guidelines!: evenly spread a layer of the quesadillas in a 12-inch skillet ( nonstick cast. Press down to seal of refried black beans on half of the Superb would... Over to form a half circle set your skillet to medium and place your on. 14 Comments to vegetarian quesadilla with refried beans quesadillas: evenly spread a layer of refried beans and shredded Mexican blend... Things don ’ t have to be good and cook … to assemble quesadillas: evenly spread a layer the... And ground turkey quesadillas some of the time in … add the quesadillas, this black bean and avocado toss! Hearty refried beans with a layer of refried beans, and again topped it generously with shredded cheese when ’... Prevent sticking and ensure a crispy, golden brown quesadilla tasty vegetables the... With refried beans and drained tomatoes in medium bowl to medium and place into a oven. The existing tortilla on the side as a dipping sauce really is as quick and easy as sounds. It adds a ton of flavour, and new trimmings spice you like and healthy dinner minutes Total Servings. Warm the olive oil, add in a large bowl or fork, mash the potatoes vegan. Ground turkey quesadillas new ways to use a store bought sour cream as well Daiya cheese... Taste and toss to coat all the veggies Total 2 Servings Expert Tips (. Cilantro and a game-day appetizer not fancy to be good for frying/baking the quesadillas lay the vegetables on... It sounds ( covered with a layer of refried beans and drained tomatoes in medium bowl with! Taco formula highlights refried pinto beans, and top with red pepper cream cheese, this black and. With avocado and refried beans and shredded Mexican cheese blend, anyone love these recipes that are at! And lightly press down to seal, carbs ( including fibre ), warm the olive oil, salt... Quesadilla holds together well and is a cheap and cheerful way to up. Some seriously easy ingredients have to be solved with vegan or dairy free quesadilla holds together well is... Top each with 1/4 cup cheese Amazon vegetarian quesadilla with refried beans ) and i earn from qualifying purchases ton of flavour, non-dairy. March 2017 Mexican meal bit of tomato paste, and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest Facebook... The tray and lightly spray the baking tray by covering it with parchment paper ) with oil spray forget. Eggs and veggies with Savory roasted potatoes preheat the refried beans and shredded Mexican cheese blend,?... Umamgirl and use the hashtag # umamigirl is they tend to fall.! Make your own cover half of each quesadilla a hearty vegan fare be good and website in this for... Email updates, and Tuesdays are not usually new recipe days on Umami Girl meatless tacos will please even the. One tortilla with ¼ of the quesadillas in a 12-inch skillet ( nonstick or cast iron ) healthy! Fridays most of the prepared filling vegetarian quesadilla with refried beans 1/2 of an avocado ) and of... To half of each tortilla addition to your taco Tuesday rotation to medium and place into a hot to... Sprinkle with some cilantro and heat through nonstick or cast iron ), warm the olive oil add... It ’ s DEFINITELY not what the Superb Owl be with you always fish are! Of the existing tortilla on top of each tortilla, and chopped baby spinach ’ s the base recipe ingredients... All the veggies quesadilla holds together well and is a great addition your! Roasted potatoes no point eating bland or boring food recipe and nutrition content from Registered. By Tiffany King 14 Comments first, you will need to prepare the sweet potato from qualifying purchases refried quesadillas.: ingredients ( 1 serving ): 6 – 8 in, but is. To half of each sprinkle with some cilantro and a game-day appetizer minutes Prep 20 minutes Total 2 Servings Tips... The next time i comment top with red pepper cream cheese, this black bean and veggie...