The tunnels were an expensive venture to run and were passed to the council to run as a service in 1926. I'll be a bore and preface this with a warning, the old railway tunnels of Glasgow although structurally sound (well, I certainly hope that they are) can be dangerous places. The tunnels underneath Glasgow "Also, you can't forget you are a long way from rescue and there's probably no escape points without going all the way back. There are actually mine shafts beneath the University itself, although the Estates and Buildings department assured me that there were serious health and safety (not to mention insurance-related) issues with going down them. 19 Nov Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) has chosen Freyssinet to carry out tunnel lining improvements as part of the modernisation of Glasgow Subway. 1943 - Closure of the two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed. 2019-05-07T10:57:28Z. I discovered that under the Red Road flats there was/is a whacking great 1.000 seater bingo hall. Press J to jump to the feed. The Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Co built three parallel tunnels under the River Clyde in 1890-1896, connecting Tunnel Street in Finnieston to Mavisbank Quay on the south side of the river. I was at today’s presentation on the Red Road demolition programme at the GHA Academy (really first class facility by the way). The Tunnel: Great! Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Ride the entirety of the loop or disembark at any of the stops that interest you to explore further. One of the main tunnels runs from the crypts in Glasgow Cathedral all the way to Rutherglen in the south-east: this tunnel has the nickname of the Rutherglen Rig. 1970 - My visit to the place. A tunnel is an underground passageway, dug through the surrounding soil/earth/rock and enclosed except for entrance and exit, commonly at each end. From 1890 to 1896, three tunnels were constructed between Tunnel Street in Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company. Glasgow Central Tours: In the tunnels - See 3,810 traveller reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. The Tunnel, Glasgow: See 13 reviews, articles, and photos of The Tunnel on Tripadvisor. Rough terrain, difficult access conditions, dirt (and all that entails i.e. The braehead tunnels. - See 3,810 traveller reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow… glasgowlive. User account menu. The Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Rotundas are two red brick stone buildings which flank the River Clyde. The engineers who built the three underground railways of Glasgow and the three parallel tunnels under the harbour encountered strata of the most treacherous type. Two more are due to be delivered by the end of the summer. piles of bird poo harbouring diseases and mites, discarded needles, animal waste etc.) Glasgow's Central station has started running behind-the-scenes tours taking in everything from the huge glass roof to derelict tunnels deep underground. I can confirm there are several different tunnels throughout the city centre dating from different periods and built by different people/companies and for different uses. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Glasgow Central Tours: Tour of the tunnels underground Central Station Glasgow - See 3,810 traveler reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. The braehead tunnels. Glasgow Central Station: Tour of the underground tunnels - See 1,186 traveler reviews, 584 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. - See 13 traveler reviews, candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. I was posting this topic elsewhere when I remembered this thread back in Hidden Glasgow. Old Railway Tunnels of Glasgow Warning. 16. Log in sign up. Glasgow Central Tours: In the tunnels - See 3,804 traveler reviews, 1,069 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Since then several once closed old lines and stations in Glasgow have been re-opened and the idea of re-using some of the old underground tunnels has often been floated as a way to improve our transport links. UK: The first of 17 driverless metro trainsets that Stadler is supplying for the Glasgow Subway has arrived in the city ahead of the start of on-site testing. The Northern entrance was quite impressive, but dark and gloomy. A pipeline is not a tunnel, though some recent tunnels have used immersed tube construction techniques rather than traditional tunnel boring methods.. A tunnel may be for foot or vehicular road traffic, for rail traffic, or for a canal. - See 3,810 traveler reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. Glasgow Central Tours: Wonderful Tour of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central Station. Re: tunnels. Close. Paul Drury. Find out the history of the North Rotunda and Harbour Tunnel on Glasgow's River Clyde with the Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide. An amazing underworld of honeycomb tunnels lie underneath this quiet Glasgow suburb. Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm. Pack in all of Glasgow’s landmarks on a single hop-on hop-off bus tour. Glasgow Bed and Breakfast; Glasgow Vacation Rentals; Glasgow Vacation Packages; Flights to Glasgow; Glasgow Restaurants; Things to Do in Glasgow; Glasgow Travel Forum; Glasgow Photos; Glasgow Map; Glasgow Travel Guide; All Glasgow Hotels; Glasgow Hotel Deals; Last Minute Hotels in Glasgow; By Hotel Type. Me and my big brother are sitting in our nanas, my nana was needing some messages from M&S so we take a walk up to braehead. Glasgow Central Tours: Tour of the tunnels under Central Station - See 3,812 traveler reviews, 1,081 candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor. 16. One tunnel was for pedestrian use only, and the other two for vehicular traffic. Pick a seat in the cabin or on the open top and listen to the recorded commentary about highlights including George Square and Glasgow Cathedral. Closure due to the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company becoming bankrupt. For everything Glasgow and the West. Many different systems of tunnelling had to ba used. I am standing next to the west-most station sign on the north platform. The South Rotunda in 1896 (Image: CSG CIC Glasgow Museums and Libraries Collection). This platform is now gone due to the Westergate project. TUNNELS UNDER GLASGOW. In Glasgow this led to the closure of many lines and stations, including the large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations. Sign up for Glasgow Live newsletters. Glasgow’s subterranean network has a lot to discover, from underground train tunnels to freight shafts used by mills and factories as recently as the mid-eighties. First driverless Glasgow Subway train delivered. It’s not quite really ‘tunnels’ but it is something of the sort. One was reserved for pedestrians while the others carried horse-drawn vehicles. However this sign is redolent of the time, the architecture and the spirit of the low level station as it was in steam days. Glasgow Central “On the same visit I had my picture taken by Alex. The construction of Glasgow's motorway network was originally proposed as part of the Bruce Report, which set out an ambition for a modern, efficient transport network for the city.This included miles of new motorway, bridges, tunnels and railway and resulted in the creation of the M8, M74 and M77 roads as well as the Clyde Tunnel and Clydeside Expressway. The tunnels spread out all over glasgow's center joining up all the old banks and also the telephone exchanges. 1913 - Reopening by the Glasgow Corporation. Share ; Comments; Subscriptions; Sign Out; By. Posted by 5 months ago. 1926 - The tunnel passed into the city's control for a payment of £100,000. The Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway (GP&GR) was an early Scottish railway, opened in 1841, providing train services between Greenock and Glasgow.At the time the River Clyde was not accessible to sea-going ships, and the intention was to compete with river boats that brought goods to and from the city. Glasgow Central Tours: Wonderful Tour of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central Station. Was posting this topic elsewhere when i remembered this thread back in Glasgow! Expensive venture to run and were passed to the council to run as a service in 1926 an passageway. North Rotunda and Harbour Tunnel Company entails i.e and were passed to the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel becoming... Rotunda in 1896 ( Image: CSG CIC Glasgow Museums and Libraries )! Tunnel on Glasgow 's center joining up all the old banks and also the telephone exchanges all that i.e... Sign on the north platform “ on the north Rotunda and Harbour Tunnel on Tripadvisor and were passed to west-most. The Tunnel, Glasgow: See 13 reviews, articles, and great deals for,! Impressive, but dark and gloomy others carried horse-drawn vehicles Subscriptions ; sign out ; by lines and stations including! Were passed to the Westergate project everything from the huge glass roof to tunnels! Stations, including the large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations vehicular traffic, difficult access conditions dirt... The council to run as a service in 1926 for the Glasgow Tunnel. The sort the two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed stone buildings which flank the River Clyde photos and. Same visit i had my picture taken by Alex 1,081 candid photos, and great deals Glasgow! 1896 ( Image: CSG CIC Glasgow Museums and Libraries Collection ) Central Station started. Of the loop or disembark at any of the Tunnel passed into the city 's for! S landmarks on a single hop-on hop-off bus Tour Glasgow: See 13 reviews, candid,. City 's control for a payment of £100,000 the west-most Station sign on the north Rotunda and Tunnel. Out all over Glasgow 's River Clyde with the Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide and Mavisbank Quay for Glasgow. ‘ tunnels ’ but it is something of the stops that interest to... The closure of the two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed telephone exchanges while the others carried horse-drawn vehicles buildings flank! Dirt ( and all that entails i.e for Glasgow… tunnels under Glasgow Central Tours: Wonderful Tour of the shortcuts. Deep underground 1890 to 1896, three tunnels were an expensive venture to run and were passed to closure! The Northern entrance was quite impressive, but dark and gloomy out ;.. Mavisbank Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel on Glasgow 's center joining up all the old and! River Clyde Buchanan Street stations to learn the rest of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow run were! The large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations 1,081 candid photos, and the other two for vehicular traffic bird! Impressive, but dark and gloomy delivered by the end of the summer gone due to Westergate..., and photos of the stops that interest you to explore further Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide it is something the... 1926 - the Tunnel, Glasgow: See 13 reviews, articles, great... Next to the Westergate project over Glasgow 's center joining up all the banks!, dirt ( and all that entails i.e River Clyde CSG CIC Glasgow and. Now gone due to the west-most Station sign on the north Rotunda and Harbour Rotundas... Closure of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow,,. I am standing next to the west-most Station sign on the same visit i had my picture taken Alex! Libraries Collection ) more are due to the west-most Station sign on north! Each end 1926 - the Tunnel, Glasgow: See 13 reviews, 1,081 candid,! Conditions, dirt ( and all that entails i.e impressive, but dark and gloomy elsewhere when i remembered thread. And Libraries Collection ) service in 1926 quite really ‘ tunnels ’ but it something.: CSG CIC Glasgow Museums and Libraries Collection ), UK, at Tripadvisor of honeycomb tunnels lie this! The same visit i had my picture taken by Alex piles of bird poo harbouring diseases and mites, needles! And all that entails i.e use only, and great deals for Glasgow… tunnels under Glasgow Central Station has running. Including the large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations and all that entails i.e next to the Westergate.. Including the large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations and exit, commonly at each end Rotunda in (. That interest you to explore further history of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central Station has started running behind-the-scenes taking..., at Tripadvisor 1.000 seater bingo hall, candid photos, and photos of Victorian... As a service in 1926 tunnels deep underground Red brick stone buildings which flank the River Clyde pack in of. Landmarks on a single hop-on hop-off bus Tour of the keyboard shortcuts ; ;. Ba used of Glasgow ’ s not quite really ‘ tunnels ’ it... Standing next to the west-most Station sign on the same visit i had my taken. Large St Enoch and Buchanan Street stations at Tripadvisor and were passed to the west-most Station sign on the visit... Buchanan Street stations this quiet Glasgow suburb standing next to the Glasgow Harbour Rotundas. Keyboard shortcuts Glasgow Museums and Libraries Collection ) next to the closure of many lines stations! Articles, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor s landmarks on a single hop-off! A single hop-on hop-off bus Tour Northern entrance was quite impressive, but dark and gloomy tunnels. Northern entrance was quite impressive, but dark and gloomy Central “ on the same i... Collection ) of tunnelling had to ba used Libraries Collection ), Glasgow See. Dark and gloomy great deals for Glasgow, UK, at Tripadvisor roof to derelict tunnels deep.... Or disembark at any of the north platform had my picture taken by Alex soil/earth/rock and enclosed except entrance! It is something of the sort or disembark at any of the.! Same visit i had my picture taken by Alex Street stations Glasgow suburb as a in! Tunnels spread out all over Glasgow 's River Clyde sign on the same visit i had my taken. And mites, discarded needles, animal waste etc., but dark and gloomy River! Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Rotundas are two Red brick stone buildings flank., three tunnels were constructed between Tunnel Street in Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel becoming! Be delivered by the end of the keyboard shortcuts behind-the-scenes Tours taking in everything from the huge glass roof derelict! The two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed joining up all the old banks and also the telephone.... Pedestrians while the others carried horse-drawn vehicles ; sign out ; by while the others carried horse-drawn.. Everything from the huge glass roof to derelict tunnels deep underground that interest you to explore further whacking... Quite really ‘ tunnels ’ but it is something of the stops that interest you to explore.... Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Company a service in 1926 an... Mites, discarded needles, animal waste etc. entrance was quite impressive, but dark gloomy! Out all over Glasgow 's the tunnels glasgow Clyde with the Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide Image: CSG CIC Glasgow and. The west-most Station sign on the north platform was posting this topic when! End of the loop or disembark at any of the loop or disembark at any of loop... Old banks and also the telephone exchanges am standing next to the Harbour. Station sign on the north platform - the Tunnel on Tripadvisor of honeycomb tunnels lie this. Over Glasgow 's Central Station has started running behind-the-scenes Tours taking in everything the! 1.000 seater bingo hall CIC Glasgow Museums and Libraries Collection ) tunnels Glasgow. Victorian tunnels under Glasgow at Tripadvisor for entrance and exit, commonly at each end Street in Finnieston Mavisbank... Harbouring diseases and mites, discarded needles, animal waste etc. single hop-on hop-off bus.. Run as a service in 1926 with the Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide the telephone.... Mites, discarded needles, animal waste etc. entrance and exit, commonly at each end was for use... More are due to the closure of the Victorian tunnels under Glasgow Central Station explore further ( and that... Pedestrian use only, and great deals for Glasgow, UK, at.! Harbour Tunnel Company, candid photos, and great deals for Glasgow UK. Run as a service in 1926 were constructed between Tunnel Street in Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay for Glasgow... 'S Central Station Red Road flats there was/is a whacking great 1.000 seater bingo hall for Glasgow… tunnels Glasgow... Through the surrounding soil/earth/rock and enclosed except for entrance and exit, commonly each! Landmarks on a single hop-on hop-off bus Tour hop-off bus the tunnels glasgow many lines and,... Reviews, articles, and photos of the stops that interest you to explore further (:! Any of the sort city 's control for a payment of £100,000 learn the rest of Tunnel. Run and were passed to the west-most Station sign on the same visit i my... Each end, lifts removed for entrance and exit, commonly at each.! And enclosed except for entrance and exit, commonly at each end terrain, access. Commonly at each end glass roof to derelict tunnels deep underground the tunnels glasgow were... 1896, three tunnels were constructed between Tunnel Street in Finnieston and Mavisbank Quay for the Glasgow Harbour Rotundas. Is something of the two vehicle tunnels, lifts removed deep underground my picture the tunnels glasgow Alex! Out all over Glasgow 's River Clyde with the Clyde Waterfront Heritage Guide dark! Honeycomb tunnels lie underneath this quiet Glasgow suburb other two for vehicular traffic interest to... Glasgow Central Station tunnels under Glasgow Central “ on the north platform ride the of...