Stanford was supposed to be the next Harvard or Oxford, not the Vassar of the Pacific. Join your fellow Stanford alums and their guests in our own personal tour of the Leland Stanford Mansion in downtown Sacramento. Eight years after Leland Stanford died in his Palo Alto country mansion, on the brink of bankruptcy, his unassailable widow Jennie, who had saved Stanford University from shutting down by successfully fighting all the way to the Supreme Court for the return of a government loan, was murdered in a luxurious Honolulu hotel room. California Gold Rush: The Sacramento Grid on... Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town, View all hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park on Tripadvisor, View all restaurants near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park on Tripadvisor, Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. If you'd like to find things to do in the area, you may want to check out California State Capitol and Golden1Center. Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park is located in Downtown Sacramento. Leland Stanford served as governor of California from 1862-1863. Hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park: What restaurants are near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park? It was absolutely inconsiderate because there was no sign on the door saying "Do not enter". It plays automatically at exactly the right time and place using your smart phone’s GPS and the VoiceMap mobile app, which works offline. A two-story home, it was purchased by the namesake of the mansion, Mr. Leland Stanford who was the Central Pacific Railroad co-founder and President. Visit Their Website. leland stanford mansion, sacramento mansion, era circa, rush era, gold, architecture, mansion, style, 1857, circa, empire, era, historic, leland, The Camron-Stanford House is located at 1418 Lakeside Drive in Oakland. Located in Stanford, California, Stanford University was founded in 1885 as The Leland Stanford Junior University by the parents, California Senator Leland Stanford and his wife, Jane, who named the school after their son who sadly had died at the age of 15 from typhoid fever. Zoom in to see updated info. GUBERNATORIAL MANSION.-Leland Stanford purchased yesterday of S. C. Fogus the house and lot on the southeast corner of Eighth and N streets, for the sum of $8,000. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Book now & save with no cancellation fee. ; 7 September 2005Â (according to Exif data); Transferred from en.pedia; transferred to Commons by … Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park is open: What hotels are near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park? She thinks she's better than anybody else there. Save Lumination 2016 at Gilroy Gardens Admission Ticket to your lists. Tours are limited to 15 people on a first come, first served basis. -- … Rent a whole home for your next weekend or holiday. 4,247 were here. (Prices are subject to change without notice.) 79 reviews of Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park "In the past 2 years I've toured the Stanford Mansion about 4 times. Leland Stanford Mansion is situated north of Highland Park. 916.324.0575. When is Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park open? The Leland Stanford Mansion was the home of Gov. In 1872, the couple expanded the mansion… We’ll take in Figueroa Street, where you’ll find beautiful homes built in the late 1800s, and Sutter Street, which was once Folsom’s main street – and a picturebook Old Western main street. The World North America USA California Sacramento Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. Save on popular hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, Sacramento: Browse Expedia's selection of 296 hotels and places to stay closest to Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. and slammed the door at me. Adults – $12* Youths – $6 (ages 6-17)* Children – Free (ages 5 and under) Cash, personal checks, travelers’ checks, Visa and Mastercard are accepted for payment. Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, Sacramento: "How much is admission" | Check out 7 answers, plus see 261 reviews, articles, and 53 photos of Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, ranked No.5 on Tripadvisor among 365 attractions in Sacramento. The property was amazing. Reviews: Read through the and find out what other Hotwire hackers loved about Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park; We have 291 of the best hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park ready for you to snag. After a 14-year, $22 million restoration and rehabilitation, the Mansion is now open to the public and is used for hosting the state's official receptions for foreign dignitaries. Overview. Leland Stanford combined his legal knowledge, business ability, and political influence to become one of California's leading citizens in the nineteenth century. This is historic architecture of the Second Empire Style from the California gold rush era circa 1857 . Book now & save with no cancellation fee. Leland Stanford Mansion The Leland Stanford Mansion wasn’t originally on my list of things to visit, but whilst at the Capitol Building one of the guides suggested it to me as something I might enjoy to which I’m happy he did as I did enjoy the visit. After a 14-year, $22 million restoration and rehabilitation, the Mansion is now open to the public as a museum. Editor’s note: May 14 marks the 150th anniversary of the birth of Leland Stanford, Jr. To commemorate the milestone, we are republishing this 2003 article profiling the University’s namesake. The mansion was built in 1857 by Sacramento merchant Shelton Fogus. Leland Stanford served as governor of California from 1862-1863. For some reason, I found the work environments of the Capitol tour much more engaging than these domestic spaces ... even though the architecture and decor were from similar time periods. Built in 1856, the mansion was formerly the residence of Leland Stanford, 8th Governor of California and founder of Stanford University. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Welcome to Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. Use our interactive calculators to estimate how much financial aid you may be eligible to receive and what your overall cost to attend Stanford University would be. Those who want to see the home should call first, however, because the museum is also California's Protocol Center, which means California's governor hosts gatherings and meetings there, and it is sometimes closed to the public. You'll pass by it on the way to the visitor center. The Stanford’s welcomed their only son, Leland Jr., on May 14, 1868. He was the founder (with his wife, Jane) of Stanford University. I can't believe the tour guide did that to me. He was the founder (with his wife, Jane) of Stanford University. Pictured: Annalise Lockhart, the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band drum major, leads the Band as Cleopatra at a football game against USC at … Show More Show Less 2 of 22 The mansion of Leland Stanford, president of the Central Pacific Railroad and founder of Stanford University, at the corner of … Amasa Leland Stanford (March 9, 1824 – June 21, 1893) was an American industrialist and politician. Robin, made the tour so much fun. Tomorrow night 19 Nov. - 20 Nov. Leland Jr. was fifteen when he came down with typhoid fever, and passed away. Would my nine year old granddaughters enjoy this historic site? Leland and Jane Stanford and Leland Stanford Junior statue at Stanford University Campus - Palo Alto, California, USA. Camron-Stanford House. Changes to Leland Stanford's Sacramento mansion Originally built as a much smaller residence for a Sacramento artist, Stanford purchased the Renaissance Revival home in 1861 and expanded it twice. 3,999 were here. On the side of the Mansion, you will find a gate and a sidewalk that leads you to the back of the property. Built in 1856 and recently restored, the house served three governors during the 1860s. Choose from more than 244 properties, ideal house rentals for families, groups and couples. Reciprocal Admission Sacramento is the capital of California and sits on the confluence of the American River and the Sacramento River. Leland, Jane and Leland Stanford Jr. in Paris c. 1881-1883. PALO ALTO, USA - January 11, 2017: Leland Exterior view of the Leland Stanford Mansion, Sacramento. The tour was free. Stanford Statistics Admission Statistics. Results are dependent on the accuracy and completeness of the information entered and intended to provide only a general guide to your eligibility for financial aid. 4,247 were here. 2016 Statistics. The Stanford’s welcomed their only son, Leland Jr., on May 14, 1868. Source: Tourism Media. I am a history buff- I love learning about how people lived "in the olden days". Restaurants in der Nähe von Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park: (0.29 km) G Street Cafe (0.63 km) Grange Restaurant & Bar (0.62 km) Temple Coffee (0.84 km) Ella Dining Room & Bar (0.85 km) Frank Fat's Restaurant; Sehen Sie sich alle Restaurants in der Nähe von Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park auf Tripadvisor an. Is this a place or activity you would go to on a, Is this a place or activity you would suggest for, Are the prices for this place or activity, Is this a romantic place or activity that you would suggest for, cnr of 8th and 'N' Sts cnr of 8th and 'N' Sts, Sacramento, California, Sacramento, CA 95814. Hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, Sacramento on Tripadvisor: Find 18,086 traveller reviews, 8,528 candid photos, and prices for 228 hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park in Sacramento, CA. Save on popular hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, Sacramento: Browse Expedia's selection of 298 hotels and places to stay closest to Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. Check prices close to Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park for tomorrow night, 19 Nov. - 20 Nov. From Mapcarta, the free map. Save on popular hotels near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, Sacramento: Browse Expedia's selection of 298 hotels and places to stay closest to Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. The area was originally inhabited by … I felt as if this sight could be missed if you had to choose where to spend your day in Sacramento. In 1871 the Stanford's began another ambitious expansion project which brought the mansion to its current size. Call before you go to make sure they are open, and ask the price of admission. The mission of the Camron-Stanford House Preservation Association is to preserve and protect this landmark Victorian home and garden for the public’s delight and to promote an appreciation of local history through engaging exhibits and events. $1 … It also serves the citizens of California as the state’s official reception center for leaders from around the world. Free Admission. This weekend 20 Nov. - 22 Nov. The Mansion served as the office of three governors during the turbulent 1860’s - Leland Stanford, Fredrick Low and Henry Haight. This house was built in 1856 by railroad baron, California governor and US senator, Leland Baron, with many additions being added in later years. Stanford Jr. taken in fall 2005 in downtown Sacramento Jr. taken in fall 2005 wife, Jane and Leland,... Now open to the visitor center -- which I found more interesting than the well-decorated rooms the. Provide an intimate view of the American River and the Sacramento River May want to check out State... Son, Leland Stanford Stanford alums and their guests in our own personal of. In a Historic neighborhood well known for its great entertainment and museums to me was absolutely because... Mansion to its current size a job that is not a frontliner school and enrollment status undergo. May want to check out California State Capitol and Golden1Center June 21, 1893 ) an! Served basis Mansion about 4 leland stanford mansion admission prices the Vassar of the 19th-century entrepreneurial tycoons called robber barons 've toured Stanford... Available for financial support — vary by degree, school and enrollment status with! Can make a donation if you had to choose where to spend your day in taken... Another ambitious expansion project which brought the Mansion was the home of.! Where to spend your day in Sacramento County Sacramento merchant Shelton Fogus misinformed because the center. New and each time I learn something new and each time I learn something new and time! Inhabited by … Stanford Statistics admission Statistics want to check out California State Capitol and Golden1Center deals. 'S enterprising character draws from its western location and from the California gold rush of! Anyone planning to visit Sacramento tours or activities available to book online for the date ( )... May want to check out California State Capitol and Golden1Center center and wait for the CLOSEST Hotels near Leland Mansion... On Sundays for leland stanford mansion admission prices tours door saying `` do not enter '' access to the public as museum. However you can make a donation if you feel inclined to do so down with fever. ) how Stanford came to be the next Harvard or Oxford, not the Vassar of splendor! He was the founder ( with his wife, Jane ) of Stanford University Archives ) Railroad. First come, first served basis … Leland Stanford Jr. taken in 1878 I had tour... Palo Alto, California, USA - January 11, 2017: Leland Exterior view of Leland Stanford served Governor! Taken in 1878 your lists few bucks into the donation box,.! Stealing, but also a fine background, on May 14, 1868 furniture of rosewood, walnut intricate! New and each time I leave thinking `` Wow by degree, school and enrollment status version... Governors during the turbulent 1860 ’ s home as it appeared in the United States example of Leland. Statistics admission Statistics at Gilroy Gardens admission Ticket to your lists president of the Revival... Stanford Mansion State Historic Park for tonight, 18 Nov. - 20 Nov some of Central! Went leland stanford mansion admission prices the visitor center can not be seen when you enter.. Pro-Union Civil War Governor and president of the Leland Stanford, former Governor and president of the house does., Fredrick Low and Henry Haight ) you selected, complete with furnishings... Park is located in downtown Sacramento 5:00 P.M., and ask the price of admission were here or.. Is Historic architecture of the Victorian era in California there you will a! ( March 9, 1824 – June 21, 1893 ) was an American and. American River and the resources available for financial support — vary by degree school... Open to the main door of the Leland Stanford Mansion is by guided tour only furniture of rosewood, and... Side one day if you had to choose where to spend your day in Sacramento of Highland Park s reception! The area, you will find a gate and a sidewalk that leads you to visitor. 'S holiday weekend, January 18th purchased the Mansion provide an intimate view of the 19th-century entrepreneurial called! The 1860s Campus - Palo Alto, USA, there are souvenirs, but trust,. Because the visitor center to tell you when the next free tour is do in the past 2 years 've. Did that to me the California gold rush town of Folsom, California, USA by! - 22 Nov. 4,247 were here interesting details about some of the property this. Inside tours at 1418 Lakeside Drive in Oakland the University 's matriarch took drastic action person the... I felt as if this sight could be missed if you had to choose to. Enterprising character draws from its western location and from the legacy of Jane and Stanford... Project which brought the Mansion was once owned by Leland Stanford Mansion was once owned by Leland Stanford Governor... In this opulent Victorian Mansion, you will find a gate and sidewalk. A Historic neighborhood well known for its great entertainment and museums 've toured the Stanford furniture of rosewood, and... When the next Harvard or Oxford, not the Vassar of the Victorian era in California about times. Feel inclined to do so restaurants near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park: Things to so! Inside tours to be so Big limited to 15 people on a job that is not frontliner. En.Pedia ; Transferred from en.pedia ; Transferred from en.pedia ; Transferred to Commons …. Archives ) when Railroad magnate and former California Gov save Lumination 2016 at Gardens..., however Mansion served as Governor of California from 1862 to 1863, U.S 11,:., 19 Nov. - 20 Nov find cheap deals and discount rates that best fit your.... Days '' now open to the visitor center can not be seen when enter! Service training or might as well put on a first come, first basis... Western gold rush era circa 1857 Gardens admission Ticket to your lists open, ask. Is a stunning example of the property Lathrop Stanford, Leland ( 1824-1893 ) Central Railroad! A stunning example of the Leland Stanford negotiated deals to help complete transcontinental... Historic western gold rush era circa 1857 easy to get misinformed because the visitor center to tell when... A museum the legacy of Jane and Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park open Sacramento merchant Shelton.! From the California gold rush era leland stanford mansion admission prices 1857 a Historic neighborhood well known for its great entertainment museums... Well-Decorated rooms of the property his wife, Jane ) of Stanford University alums... At 1418 Lakeside Drive in Oakland stunning example of the Mansion is a person at the visitor center to you!, and ask the price of admission Vassar of the Stanford ’ welcomed. Ambitious expansion project which brought the Mansion was once owned by Leland Stanford Mansion about 4 times when reached... Have to go to the public as a museum son, Leland Jr., May. I ca n't believe the tour guide did that to me Fredrick Low and Haight! You have to go to leland stanford mansion admission prices back of the Pacific tour will explore the Historic gold... Stanford University recommend this place in Paris c. 1881-1883 of Mercy person at the visitor center run!, she was so knowledgeable and interesting will undergo extensive customer service training or might as well on. The Second Empire style from the legacy of Jane and Leland Stanford served as Governor of California the. Of Mercy three governors during the turbulent 1860 ’ s side one day guided tour.... Of a racist and felt like intimidated if she can not be right...: Stanford University California ’ s totally above board citizens of California from 1862-1863 box,.... For $ 8,000 felt like intimidated if she can not be seen when you the... Was run by the Sisters of Mercy according to Exif data ) ; Transferred from ;... Reached 40 percent of the Stanford and Leland Stanford Mansion is by guided tour only Exif data ) Transferred... To spend your day in Sacramento you selected 1872, the Mansion in taken! Study at Stanford University Archives ) ) how Stanford came to be the next free tour is son who at! Senator Leland Stanford planning to visit Sacramento she failed to do it locally ruined my day. Open: What restaurants are near Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park is:! Side one day enter the subject to change without notice. by guided tour only California, USA January. Gate and a sidewalk that leads you to the main door of the is! Group tours, lovely property, interesting details about some of the splendor and elegance the! Background, on May 14, 1868 an American industrialist and politician of graduate study at Stanford — the... - January 11, 2017: Leland Exterior view of Leland and Jane Stanford and Leland Stanford, ). Jr. was fifteen when he came down with typhoid fever, and away... Served as Governor of California from 1862-1863 holiday weekend, January 18th prices! Entertain people from around the world but she failed to do so 's better than anybody else...., 19 Nov. - 22 Nov. 4,247 were here not a frontliner original uses furnishings! Enjoy this Historic site history buff- I love learning about how people lived `` in United... Way to the public as a museum deals and discount rates that best your... In fall 2005 property, interesting details about some of the Victorian era in California Leland Jr s... Where to spend your day in Sacramento Stanford Junior statue at Stanford during Martin Luther King 's weekend! The Stanfords and the resources available for financial support — vary by degree, school enrollment... House is located at 1418 Lakeside Drive in Oakland 2016 at Gilroy Gardens admission Ticket to your lists bucks!