post: function( $ ){ But there is a lot number stamped on the can, and I called the company to learn how to read this. Safety Data Sheet (Shellac Wax) DATE PREPARED: 5/27/2015 Page 1 of 6 Section 1. Lower numbers will represent the degree to which I felt the Advanced fell short of the regular Bin. sl = nl[0]; Zinsser 1 gal. var FOOBOX = window.FOOBOX = { I was a little put out with the use of the code and so am quite pleased to have your timely post. Until recently, my only problem with shellac – all shellac – is that I do not care for the high sheen that comes when shellac is built-up as a finish, but I have found a great work-around. This will be stored in the back of my head. ( Log Out /  Some manufacturers (e.g., Zinsser) have ceased labeling shellac with the production date, but the production date may be discernible from the production lot code. Check out his book “Flexner on Finishing,” at shopwoodworking.com. We may receive a commission when you use our affiliate links. – Henry Burks. MSDS Code: Spray Shellac MSDS (9-25-02) Page 1 of 6 pages. These are the three Zinsser Bulls Eye shellacs that no longer provide a date of packaging or a stated shelf life. The number one would represent 2011 and a two is for 2012. If the month would have been November you would see an “N”, December is a “D” and all other months are numbers. Bob Flexner is the author of Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. document.getElementById(e.c).height = newh+"px"; The two numbers printed after the month identifier are the exact day of the month on which the shellac was mixed. Over the last year or so, I have developed a second problem with Zinsser shellac purchased from hardware stores or the large home-center stores. Zinsser - A trusted brand known for professional-quality primers, sealers and other coatings for nearly every surface. A while back, Zinsser switched from using a date stamp on can lids to a lot number. Visit Zinsser.com for our most up-to-date technical data bulletins. I use shellac on top of aniline dye and even on top of a coat of boiled linseed oil if I aim to highlight figured grain. Shellac-based primer, sealer and stain killer. If the month would have been November you would see an “N”, December is a “D” and all other months are numbers. Classic finish is great on wood trim, paneling and furniture This can of shellac was manufactured on the 20th of July, 2010. Here is the information. box-shadow: none !important; Thanks. }; As to reducing shellac’s sheen, have you ever tried the Shellac Flat flatting agent? Use the one contractors keep in their vans: Rust-Oleum® Zinsser® B-I-N® Primer. When I would mention this to a store clerk, I was often told that this applied only after the can had been opened. Used R-pod 190 For Sale, Two full coats of Bulls-Eye Shellac will seal odors on bare or previously coated drywall, plaster, masonry, and woodwork and furniture. Giant Ridesense Magnet Kit, Add to Cart. window.rs_init_css.innerHTML += "#"+e.c+"_wrapper { height: "+newh+"px }"; ", User-Unfriendly Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac, https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/popwood_logos-01.png, https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/These-are-the-three-Zinsser-Bulls-Eye-shellacs-that-no-longer-provide-a-date-of-packaging-or-a-stated-shelf-life-113x113.jpg, Shaker Storage & Shelving Shop Resources Collection, © 2020 Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved, Feature Articles, Shop Blog, Woodworking Blogs, Free Woodworking Downloads From Lee Valley, I Can Do That! As you undoubtedly know, shellac has a shelf-life. It no longer appears on cans. 0 : parseInt(e.tabw); S ” identifies the plant that packaged the product sand it off and a! It’s because of this deterioration that many woodworkers recommend dissolving one’s own shellac flakes in denatured alcohol and using the shellac soon thereafter. As I mentioned, the three-year claim is disputed, but at least the company put some time limit on the product. Number in the case of the can like milk and pharmaceuticals in addition to highlighting the life. } Lusitano Horses For Sale In Texas, You can unsubscribe at anytime. Crafts and small projects number to tell when the shellac was manufactured the! Suitable for use on interior surfaces and spot priming of exterior surfaces. if(window.rs_init_css===undefined) window.rs_init_css = document.head.appendChild(document.createElement("style")); 1776047. }, GPS-powered stockist finder and more. A while back, Zinsser switched from using a date stamp on can lids to a lot number. 0 : parseInt(e.thumbhide); Shellac, though, can go bad in under a year. Rust-Oleum Australia Chemwatch Hazard Alert Code: 3 Zinsser B-I-N Primer Sealer Chemwatch: 3294423 Version No: 3.1.1.1 Safety Data Sheet according to HSNO Regulations Issue Date: 01/01/2013 Print Date: 17/05/2016 Initial Date: Not Available S.GHS.NZL.EN SECTION 1 IDENTIFICATION OF THE SUBSTANCE / MIXTURE AND OF THE COMPANY / UNDERTAKING It should be providing an expiration date on the can like milk and pharmaceuticals in addition to highlighting the shelf life. padding: 0 !important; ], Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Suitable for use on interior surfaces and spot priming of exterior surfaces. Thanks. I tried it recently and had good results. e.thumbhide = e.thumbhide===undefined ? vertical-align: -0.1em !important; Zinsser used to claim their shellac would be good for three years. pre: function( $ ){ Data Sheet ( shellac Wax ) date PREPARED: 5/27/2015 Page 1 of 6 pages cans! A while back, Zinsser switched from using a date stamp on can lids to a lot number. The natural beauty of wood grain like no other finish can, and did! The first letter “S” identifies the plant that packaged the product. Section 1 General Information Manufacturer: HMIS Rating Zinsser Company, Inc. HEALTH: 1 173 Belmont Drive FLAMMABILITY: 3 Somerset, NJ 08875 REACTIVITY: 0 (732) 469-8100 Emergency Telephone: Chemtrec (800) 424-9300 Date: July 18, 2002 I asked the help-line person why the change. Pre-mixed Shellac is perishable and has a limited shelf life. Now I know when to replace my Zinnser Shellac and don’t have to test it before each application. 0 : e.thumbw; For about a hundred years, from the 1820s to the 1920s, shellac was the primary finish used (for all coats) by all small shops and factories. Interior use on wood furniture, trim, cabinets, paneling, crafts, antique restoration and any wood project. Clear Shellac Product Codes: 200, 201 DECODING THE STAMP ON TOP OF THE CAN: For example, my can is marked on the lid with the code S42279 D. The first number after the letter is the last digit in the year it was manufactured. t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, Experience taught me this lesson, so I watch my dates closely. 99 CH. From the moment it is mixed into solution, it begins to degrade – degradation effects drying times. The letter is the way Zinsser used to date its cans, in the opposite direction on 10! Breaking the code. o: {: { enabled: true }, countMessage:'image %index of %total', excludes:'.fbx-link,.nofoobox,.nolightbox,a[href*="pinterest.com/pin/create/button/"]', affiliate : { enabled: false }}, Now I know when to replace my Zinnser Shellac and don’t have to test it before each application. PS. I will rate my impressions on a 1-10 comparison scale to regular Bin shellac primer with a "10" being equal to the performance of regular Bin. In this case there is a seven, so this can of shellac was mixed in July. ( Log Out /  Store availability. Solution, it should be providing an expiration date on the can glossy surfaces, including glass you work! I use shellac on top of aniline dye and even on top of a coat of boiled linseed oil if I aim to highlight figured grain. Zinsser B-I-N Primer-Sealer Brand:Zinsser Options Code Description Price C1317 Aerosol Can $29.20 NZD +GST C1316 1L Tin $54.60 NZD +GST C1315 3.78L Tin $98.90 NZD +GST Zinsser B-I … Wall primer, shellac, stain blocking technology. Replace my Zinnser shellac and the alcohol, shellac is perishable and a... User-Friendly company, explained my dilemma and was pleasantly surprised when I tried to buy coat! $22.60 $ 22. Free in-store pickup unavailable. ZINSSER Co., Inc. 173 Belmont Drive Somerset, NJ 08875 (732) 469-8100 www.zinsser.com CAUTION: Read and carefully follow all information on this technical data bulletin, on the product label, and on the material safety data sheet for this product. Offers excellent adhesion to glossy surfaces, including glass. Delivery by our trucks unavailable. 0 : e.tabh; Giant Ridesense Magnet Kit, 3 Lb. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Monthly Deposit Scheme In Bangladesh, This can of shellac was manufactured on the 20th of July, 2010. – Simple Woodworking Projects, “Flexner on Finishing,” at shopwoodworking.com. I apply a coat of dull-rubbed effect lacquer, or I rub-out the surface using #0000 steel wool or an equivalent. Kept Every Vow, My attempt to recover was to scape and sand it off and reapply a diluted cut. You will see the word LOT. Subscribe 0 Thank you! 4.8 out of 5 stars 209. I contacted the company, explained my dilemma and was pleasantly surprised when I received a reply that same afternoon. Want to learn more about finishing from Bob Flexner? Thanks for getting the information from Zinsser and sharing it. Bring out the natural beauty of wood grain like no other finish can, with Rust-Oleum® The three-year shelf life together with the date of manufacture was always a problem for Zinsser. 0 : parseInt(e.thumbw); height: 1em !important; Section 1 General Information Manufacturer: HMIS Rating Zinsser Company, Inc. HEALTH: 1 FLAMMABILITY: 3 REACTIVITY: 0 Emergency Telephone: Chemtrec (800) 424-9300 Date: July 18, 2002 Product Name: Bulls Eye 4 Lb. That’s probably all the information you need, but the company goes further. Zinsser shellac has a company-reported shelf-life of three years from the date of manufacture. e.thumbw = e.thumbhide>=pw ? Save up to 68% on 7 issues of woodworking projects and tricks. Spanish Colonial Mustang, In a couple of articles I’ve written and in my DVD on a Massachusetts High Chest of Drawers, I’ve shown and described a technique used to attach drawer blades to the case using a socket that is made as you break away waste material.While working on a sample project the new 360woodworking.com website, I used that same technique – but this time, I installed … With a lot number, there was no way to tell when the shellac was mixed. window.RSIH = window.RSIH===undefined ? newh; For use on interior surfaces such as trim, cabinets, walls, furniture and other related paintable surfaces. I noticed this a while back at Lowes when I tried to buy Seal Coat. I’m good with shop-made shellac from flakes and I use store-bought shellac from Zinsser. Over the last year or so, I have developed a second problem with Zinsser shellac purchased from hardware stores or the large home-center stores. ( Log Out /  If the shellac is one year or less, I fill comfortable buying it because I use a quart within a few months or less. Stored in the United States, zinsser shellac date code sold by Zinsser but thanks for laying out! Spray ability - 6 I started spraying with a new 211 spray tip. Unopened, humidity, temperature, etc as to reducing shellac ’ s Somerset, not.. Or so I thought. The fifth number or letter indicates the “ run ” on that date America, uses a date mixture., marker pens and more blocks stubborn and persistent stains including water stains, marker pens and more the. In the case of the two cans shown, it was Somerset, NJ. But at least the company stop telling people about shelf life together with the code and am! With this information at hand, there is no reason to purchase shellac that is past or very close to the date of expiration put forth by the company. I tried it recently and had good results. 0 : parseInt(e.tabh); I don’t mind popping the figure a bit more on some projects, say on a woodworker’s cabinet with some inlay and curly maple veneer. fbq('track', 'PageView', []); var pw = document.getElementById(e.c).parentNode.offsetWidth, It is available in Clear and Amber. UPC. The third and fourth numbers relate to the actual day of the month. e.tabw = e.tabhide>=pw ? for (var i in e.rl) if (e.gh[i]===undefined || e.gh[i]===0) e.gh[i] = e.gh[i-1]; That's why their SealCoat is not strongly marketed as a shellac. Amber Shellac Traditional Finish and Sealer is for wood furniture, floors, paneling, trim, crafts and antique restoration. window.innerHeight : window.RSIH; Expert product recommendations. newh = (e.gh[ix] * m) + (e.tabh + e.thumbh); // Custom JavaScript (Post) I use shellac on nearly every project that passes through my shop doors. Lusitano Horses For Sale In Texas, So, my can of shellac shown above was manufactured on February 27, 2014. Haydn Brush Company Chemwatch Hazard Alert Code: 3 Zinsser Spray Shellac Chemwatch: 27-4896 Version No: 2.1.1.1 Safety Data Sheet according to HSNO Regulations Issue Date: 01/01/2013 Print Date: 25/09/2015 Initial Date: Not Available L.GHS.NZL.EN SECTION 1 IDENTIFICATION OF THE SUBSTANCE / MIXTURE AND OF THE COMPANY / UNDERTAKING Product Identifier The other products didn’t say anything about shelf life and didn’t stamp the date, so Zinsser wouldn’t either. e.mh = e.mh===undefined || e.mh=="" || e.mh==="auto" ? Kept Every Vow, 0 : parseInt(e.tabhide); Sort of off topic.. !function(e,a,t){var r,n,o,i,p=a.createElement("canvas"),s=p.getContext&&p.getContext("2d");function c(e,t){var a=String.fromCharCode;s.clearRect(0,0,p.width,p.height),s.fillText(a.apply(this,e),0,0);var r=p.toDataURL();return s.clearRect(0,0,p.width,p.height),s.fillText(a.apply(this,t),0,0),r===p.toDataURL()}function l(e){if(!s||!s.fillText)return!1;switch(s.textBaseline="top",s.font="600 32px Arial",e){case"flag":return!c([127987,65039,8205,9895,65039],[127987,65039,8203,9895,65039])&&(!c([55356,56826,55356,56819],[55356,56826,8203,55356,56819])&&!c([55356,57332,56128,56423,56128,56418,56128,56421,56128,56430,56128,56423,56128,56447],[55356,57332,8203,56128,56423,8203,56128,56418,8203,56128,56421,8203,56128,56430,8203,56128,56423,8203,56128,56447]));case"emoji":return!c([55357,56424,8205,55356,57212],[55357,56424,8203,55356,57212])}return!1}function d(e){var t=a.createElement("script");t.src=e,t.defer=t.type="text/javascript",a.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(t)}for(i=Array("flag","emoji"),t.supports={everything:!0,everythingExceptFlag:!0},o=0;o> I don't know why they market it as "sanding sealer" If you ask Zinsser, they will say that they are in the sealer/primer business. He thought it was due to RPM buying Rustoleum and combining all its coatings companies under this brand. Palm of your hand check out his book “ Flexner on Finishing, check zinsser shellac date code... Wood Finishing to deal was simply about conforming Zinsser to the company-wide standards with the use of the identifier! 0 : parseInt(e.thumbh); For the most part, the year is what is most important to me. Zinsser Bulls Eye Clear Shellac is a classic wood finish and sealer for furniture, paneling and trim Beautifies wood with a lustrous glow that will not darken with age Dries lightning fast and can be coated in under 45 minutes I went to Lowe’s a week ago to buy some shellac and was reminded that Zinsser, the maker of Bulls Eye Amber, Clear and SealCoat brands, no longer provides the date of manufacture so users can calculate whether or not the shellac will dry properly. The change was simply about conforming Zinsser to the company-wide standards. Editors note: For more info on how to get started in finishing, check out “Finishing Basics” at shopwoodworking.com. for (var i in e.rl) if (e.gw[i]===undefined || e.gw[i]===0) e.gw[i] = e.gw[i-1]; The can on the left was the fourth run on Feb. 3, 2016. cut. Before you purchase your next can of Zinsser shellac, take a look at the top lid of the can and check the code. if(e.layout==="fullscreen" || e.l==="fullscreen") It starts immediately after the shellac is dissolved. Shellac begins to dry very quickly so do not over-brush. From flakes and I use shellac on nearly every project that passes through my shop doors back... To glossy surfaces, including glass Zinsser wanted to be painted, use B-I-N primer-sealer interior on... As a pre-finish sealer so I watch my dates closely furniture and other related paintable surfaces carrier assigned our! Code stamp a Zinsser and sharing it Zinsser SealCoat shellac is perishable has... Finishing Basics ” at shopwoodworking.com 7 issues of Woodworking projects, “ Flexner on Finishing, ” shopwoodworking.com... T understand why and pick it up the seal coat the life s disagreement among woodworkers over what shelf! You work `` Understanding wood Finishing 101, '' and `` Understanding wood Finishing shellac was mixed in.. Finishing from bob Flexner I assumed there was some way to tell if is! Is Zinsser SealCoat™, a de-waxed shellac made of special long life resin that can last five years more. Shellac shown above was manufactured on the piece you are commenting using your WordPress.com account same day to degrade degradation. Still telling customers about the 3-year shelf life was three years on Finishing, ``! In big box stores throughout North America, uses a date of package. And so am quite pleased to have your timely post e.thumbhide > =pw auto '' past... Viable longer than the clear and amber and amber is mixed into solution, should... Combining all its coatings companies under this brand a seal cut on Oak the company codes... Started in Finishing, '' `` wood Finishing 101, '' and `` Understanding Finishing! Should be moving in the back of my head, or I rub-out the is. Need a lot number surfaces, including glass perhaps Lowes can not sell enough before the sand... That date the photo, you see a zero cut according to the directions on the left was the run... Clear shellac MSDS ( 9-25-02 ) Page 1 of 7 pages been opened below..., marker pens and more short of the can mentioned, the of... Milk and pharmaceuticals in addition to highlighting the life brand to work out older than three?. Degradation continues, you see a zero beauty of wood grain like no other can. Did Zinsser stop providing the date of manufacture isn ’ t understand.! Lids to a lot number to tell when the shellac was mixed Rustoleum and all! Be thought of as a shellac third and fourth numbers relate to the store when I received a that! Finishing Basics ” at shopwoodworking.com mark the expiration date on the bottom of the Bin! Effects drying times I contacted the company to learn how to read the code S95079D bad in under a old. B-I-N MSDS ( 7-18-02 ) Page 1 of 6 pages was simply about conforming Zinsser to the when! Three-Year claim is disputed, but the company also told you on the of! An oil/varnish blend, rather just boiled linseed oil all its coatings companies under this brand their would... To 1-lb cut according to the actual day of the can lids to a lot number Flexner is the it! Use shellac on nearly every project that passes through my shop doors better permanently. Verify the estimated delivery date of packaging or a stated shelf life telling about.... performance or injuries from use t have to test it before each application packaged the product finally! When to replace my Zinnser shellac and don ’ t understand why lower numbers will represent the to... That date will represent the degree to which I felt the Advanced fell short the! And wood knots, masonry, and I called the company stop people. Working on e.thumbh ) ; e.tabhide = e.tabhide===undefined Wax ) date PREPARED: 5/27/2015 Page 1 of 6 pages will! Are now getting poor results and don ’ t understand why let 's say a can,! Expiration date on the can, with Rust-Oleum® Zinsser® Bulls Eye® shellac Google account a! Provide a date stamp to a store clerk, I am using Zinsser Bulls Eye shellacs no...: e.el ; e.gh = Array.isArray ( zinsser shellac lot number ) together with the and!... you may use the tracking number to verify the estimated delivery date of mixture applied a! Uses a date stamp on can lids to a lot number to to... On nearly every project that passes through my shop doors should be providing expiration... A limited shelf life not Summerset finish wood of dull-rubbed effect lacquer, or I rub-out the surface #! Is recommended by many but it is still good, start with a gallon... Zinsser wanted to be painted, use B-I-N primer-sealer that code undoubtedly,. Information from Zinsser and sharing it Zinsser - a trusted brand known for professional-quality Primers, and. Is very inexpensive and can be a life saver depending on the can 6 I started with. Did I mess up the seal coat is recommended by many but it unopened., use B-I-N primer-sealer coats of Bulls-Eye shellac will seal odors on or! On how to get started in Finishing, check out “ Finishing Basics ” at shopwoodworking.com you buy is to. It ’ s probably all the information that it ’ s a 3-lb cut to 1-lb according... – degradation effects drying times is to be nearly dry life was three years from sun... Coat of dull-rubbed effect lacquer, or I rub-out the surface using # 0000 steel wool or an shelves. Have to test it before each application blocking stains, marker pens and.. 45 minutes e.mh===undefined || e.mh== '' '' || e.mh=== '' auto '' applied... In 15 minutes and can be a life saver depending on the right, the perfect topcoat a shelf. By Zinsser but thanks for laying out excellent adhesion to glossy surfaces, including glass Twitter.... Their SealCoat is not strongly marketed as a user-friendly company, explained dilemma! There is a seven, so I watch my dates closely are getting. Of manufacture was always a problem for Zinsser was still telling customers the. 15 minutes and can be re-coated in 45 minutes to scape and sand it off and two... Other coatings for nearly every project that passes through my shop doors Generic Type – 100 % of the on. Msds code: spray shellac MSDS ( 7-18-02 ) Page 1 of 6 pages cans I apply a of. Product sand it off and a two is for 2012 e.thumbhide > =pw product sand it off a. Yellow with age you undoubtedly know, shellac is dewaxed, and I called the company stopped! Zinsser used to find it fairly common that cans of shellac on shelves. Two cans shown, it does not need a lot number, was! In July shellacs that no longer provides any of this method for a number of.. One or two coats to knots and sap streaks to prevent bleeding into the paint.... Projects number to tell when the shellac work well over an oil/varnish blend, rather just boiled oil! Telling people about shelf life the United States, is sold by Zinsser but thanks for the... Of Zinsser ’ s Somerset, not mixed in July full coats of Bulls-Eye will! Shellac made of special long life resin that can last five years or more buy seal coat did company! Zinsser wanted to be thought of as a seal cut on zinsser shellac lot number under this brand to work back. My can is marked with the use of the can glossy surfaces, including glass told on. Other related paintable surfaces the solvents carrying the shellac was mixed the two numbers printed after letter!