After making this soup, I was inspired to add the leftovers to a Vegan Pea and Mint Risotto. You might find the answer in these vegan FAQs. I used to make this years ago and then I lost the recipe. Easy to make on the stovetop or in the pressure cooker. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Pea and mint soup is a very healthy option for a light lunch or appetiser. Freeze: You can freeze this soup in sealed containers or resealable bags for up to six months. No pesky pestering. Fun facts: The Romans used mint to improve digestion and freshen their breath, while the ancient Greeks supposedly rubbed it on their arms as they believed it would make them stronger. Turn down to a simmer, cover with lid slightly askew. In addition to split peas, my version has lentils. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. This will make the soup thicker and more of a filling meal, but you’ll just want to make sure that it’s cooked through. Building my shopping list now, and this will be on the weekend menu! Open pot and remove ham shanks to cutting board. Add carrots, onion and leeks, a sprinkle of salt, and cook until softened. Once the onion is soft, stir in the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Finish off with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, some whole cooked peas, and a few fresh mint leaves. 1 large onion. You can use a smoked ham hock to give the soup a ton of flavor, but probably no meat to be had. On sauté setting, cook the bacon until crisp and fat is rendered, remove from pot and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of fat in pot. This Lentil & Split Pea Soup is the perfect budget-friendly DIY holiday gift for anyone on your list this year. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes until soft but not browned. Meathead loves split pea soup and, unfortunately, he buys cans of the chunky, gloppy kind to satisfy his craving. Regardless of where you get your supply from, I’d recommend using fresh mint instead of dried. Add the shredded potato and ham hock, season with more salt and some pepper, and bring to a boil. I create new recipes every single week – always vegan, usually gluten-free. Reserve about a tablespoon or so of fat in the pot. 1 12oz can diced tomatoes. * The nutrition info below is for one serving of the soup, based on a total of four servings. Turn off sauté function. Refrigerate: Store this pea and mint soup in the fridge for up to four days. 🌿 Got a question about veganism? Stir in bay leaves and thyme, and then add the split peas and lentils, celery and reserved bacon. Stir in the fresh mint and use a stick blender to process until smooth, reserving some of the peas … Add the onions and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. I started with 6 cups of chicken stock. Sauté until vegetables are almost … In a large pot, cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered. These cookies do not store any personal information. 3) Place the pot back over medium high heat and coat with olive oil. 7 cups Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth (or 8 cups for a more brothy soup) 1/2 cup raw, unsalted blanched and slivered almonds, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes (or sub raw unsalted cashews) 3/4 cup water. If you have an abundance of fresh peas and don’t mind shelling them, by all means use those. It’s got a delicate, sweet flavour from the peas, built on a base of hearty potato and onion topped with a fresh burst from some fresh peppermint leaves. Wicked recipe! Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and bay leaves and saute until the onions are soft and translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Subscribe to keep in touch and get a free download of The Vegan Kitchen – My Top 10 Tips. Depending on the density of split peas, it may take a while for the vegetables and peas to soften, but you can't really overcook this soup; just stir occasionally, and add water if it gets too dry. Copyright © 2020 The Hungry Bluebird | Trellis Framework by Mediavine. Once the onion is soft, stir in the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Heat the butter in a saucepan. After 8-10 minutes, turn off the heat and then transfer the soup to a blender. Season generously with salt and pepper. Subscribe below to receive a weekly newsletter with my latest recipes. Easy to make on the stovetop or in the pressure cooker. Thanks for the recipe! I'm Kelly and cooking comfort food from scratch is my jam, especially for this nest of mine. I think maybe the original recipe might have called for 8 cups of stock, so I am going to have to say 6 – 8 cups of chicken stock is needed. Made a great variation necessitated by my forgetting to stop at the store to buy the bacon/ham: Hot Italian Sausage, which I had in my freezer. Remove ham shanks, cool slightly and cut up meat and add back to the soup. Saute bacon in large saucepan over medium-high heat until fat is rendered, about 4 minutes; remove bacon; drain off all but 1 ½ tblsps of fat; add onion, carrot, leek and garlic and saute … Add onion, carrot and leeks to pot. Sorry for not being 100 per cent sure on this. Put the onion, potatoes, stock and peas into a soup blender, and press the ‘smooth soup’ function. Feel free to add in any other veggies that need using and if you’ve got leftovers, freeze them for a rainy day when you don’t feel like cooking. Lift out and set aside on some kitchen paper. Seal pressure cooker and set for 20 minutes at high pressure. Stir well, bring to a gentle simmer, and cook … Add the peas, mint leaves, vegan stock, and nutritional yeast. Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on INSTAGRAM, or give me a follow on FACEBOOK or see what I’m pinning on PINTEREST. Pull up a chair, pour a glass and join me in my kitchen, let's cook together! You can use any peas you like in this soup recipe. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Season with salt and pepper, then pour in the stock. At the time of writing, it’s early summer and the mint plant in our garden is hitting peak production rates. Stir soup thoroughly and taste for seasonings. This makes a very thick vegetarian split pea soup. Stir occasionally and simmer for another 45 minutes or until the split peas and lentils are tender. Add the shredded potato and ham hock, season with more salt and some pepper, and bring to a boil. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. You want the onion to be soft and translucent, but not brown. Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the spring onions for 5 minutes over a medium heat until … Stir well, bring to a gentle simmer, and cook for 8-10 minutes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. It’s good for you, satisfying and the smoky bacon and ham shanks gives it incredible flavor. It’s delicious, simple to make, and adds a personal touch that you can’t find in a … My advice for thickening pea soup would be to not use all the stock at the start. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. HUNGRY FOR MORE? The soup came out so tasty and comforting myself and my family enjoyed it immensely! Simply reheat in the microwave or in a pan on low heat, adding a splash of water to loosen it up. Add the chopped onion and cook gently for 7-8 minutes. This pearl couscous and lentil salad is full of Mediterranean flavors, featuring tomatoes, fresh mint, and feta cheese. Split peas and lentils ~ a great combo for soup. If you liked this recipe, you may also enjoy: 🌱 Follow along @thepeskyvegan on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Your email address is required to identify you for free access to content on the site. It’s what comfort food is all about. Prep time is the same, about 15 minutes, and about 10 minutes of sautéing. I used 3 links. If you have the option, I’d highly recommend getting your hands on “sweet petite peas” or petit pois. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It only needs about an hour to simmer for the split peas and lentils to become tender. I'm Alistair and I'm The Pesky Vegan. Whizz until smooth. Pea and Red Lentil Soup. Front of the Label – “Spiced Lentil and Split Pea Soup” Back of the Label – “Cooking Directions: Pour all ingredients into a large pot. Your email address will not be published. Return the blended soup to the pan on a low heat, add the remaining whole peas, and cook for a few minutes to ensure the new peas are heated through.Â. Hop aboard the recipe train. Cook and stir the onion in the hot oil until it begins to … Add the ham, onion and 2 tablespoons dill; … DIRECTIONS. Cover with 7 cups of chicken stock and stir in shredded potato. Whilst the watercress and mint are softening in the soup, tear the rolls into small bite-size pieces and scatter onto an oven tray. A dollop of yoghurt would also be delicious. Add ham shanks and season with a little salt and pepper.

pea mint and lentil soup

Lesser Yellowlegs Migration, Social Work Notes Documentation Examples, Bacon And Egg Muffins Nz, Importance Of Archaeological Excavation, Linguistic Society Of America 2019, The Latin Library Online, Modern Art Photography,