Some lines, I just think: What??!!! “Life is not what we live, it is what we imagine living.” ~ Night Train to Lisbon. A major hit in Germany that went on to become one of Europe’s biggest literary blockbusters in the last five years, Night Train to Lisbon is an astonishing novel, a compelling exploration of consciousness, the possibility of truly understanding another person, and the ability of language to define our very selves. Night Train to Lisbon follows Raimund Gregorius, a 57-year-old Classics scholar, on a journey that takes him across Europe. Raimund Gregorius teaches classical languages … Sounds like jealous colleagues to me. “Life is not what we live; it is what we imagine we are living.”, Inexplicably bad. The book was published in multiple languages including English, consists of 496 pages and is available in Hardcover format. Raimund Gregorius is a legendary and near-infallible figure in that small world, dedicated entirely to his work, interested only in his Greek and Latin and Hebrew. Carson Weatherell is a privileged young… Inside it is a book by a Portuguese doctor which contains a train ticket. Great story, but how is the book? I came to the book after seeing the movie. The writing in this book is competent, but not compelling. [As the story progresses, the protagonist starts to experience increasing bouts of dizziness, as if he is losing his sense of place in the world. Finding his way to an antiquarian bookstore he buys a book written in Portuguese, a language unfamiliar to him, written by a man named Amadeu de Prado. ― Pascal Mercier, quote from Night Train to Lisbon “A feeling is no longer the same when it comes the second time. Unable to add item to List. About The Book A huge international best seller, Night Train to Lisbon was published in hardcover in January with a modest first printing. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 27, 2018. Loading Related Books. What a fabulous book. Inexplicably bad. Gregorius becomes obsessed by what he reads and restlessly struggles to comprehend the life of the author. The author of the book is Pascal Mercier, the nom de plum of Peter Bieri, an outstanding scholar, philosopher and word-smith, who apart from his academic writing has written four novels, which not surprisingly explore philosophical questions. 19.12.2017 - This sculpture is the folded book Night Train to Lisbon (german version) by Pascal Mercier. But instead of waiting to talk, she leaves during the middle of his class, without her coat. Loading Related Books. Night Train to Lisbon centres on a high school classics teacher from Berne who has spent almost his entire life -- first as a pupil, then as a teacher -- at the same school in Berne. Although in the book it may not be very explicit how Lisbon is also a character but the audience can see that in the movie. His life, it turns out, has been a fraud. The language is so grandiose - I believe it has been labeled a 'philosophical novel' - that I found myself laughing in dismay. I thought the book was really slow and the chracater of Amadeu Prado was not that interesting for me, so I chose to, I am also really intrigued by it. On the other hand, this book made me want to write something to put my thoughts on it into some shape. And what was that telephone number the Portuguese woman wrote on his forehead - he never called it - what was the point of that? Although in the book it may not be very explicit how Lisbon is also a character but the audience can see that in the movie. [but] what Night Train to Lisbon really suggests is Roads to Freedom, Jean-Paul Sartre's breathless trilogy about identity-making.' Night Train to Lisbon follows Raimund Gregorius, a 57-year-old Classics scholar, on a journey that takes him across Europe. This book took me a long, long time to read, but I am glad I stuck with it. [What do you think happened to Gregorius - is he really ill? Much more depth of course, but I just saw the movie for the second time and loved it just as much as the first time. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 26, 2016. From the author of Night Train to Lisbon: a father’s story about his daughter unravels “[a] tale of grief, fraud, guilt and madness . Gregorius does come alive, but there's not much to this fellow, not enough to sustain a 400-page book, for sure. Just one situation forces him to leave the hometown (goes to Lisbon) and changes everything, when he encounters a woman standing on a bridge on his way to school one morning. I didn’t read the book, but watched the eponymous movie. A huge international best seller, this ambitious novel plumbs the depths of our shared humanity to offer up a breathtaking insight into life, love, and literature itself. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Raimund, now obsessed with unlocking the mystery behind the man, is determined to meet all those on whom Prado left an indelible mark. “A treat for the mind. The premise had promise, and some of the characters were not without interest (hence my two stars). Securing himself in his own house and ignoring the ringing phone and the knocking at his door he begins to translate passages from the book using a language dictionary. If you buy it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and am doing. Author Pascal Mercier | Submitted by: Jane Kivik Free download or read online Night Train to Lisbon pdf (ePUB) book. In short, this story, even if it is well written, is not really my cup of tea: not enough adventure, epic, feelings or emotions. I didn't want this book to end, which is very meta because it is a book about a lover of literature who falls in love with an out-of-print memoir from a kindred spirit. The bookseller remembers the girl purchasing this obscure book. That same night, he takes the train to Lisbon to research the book’s phantom author, Amadeu de Prado, a renowned physician whose principles led him to confront Salazar’s dictatorship. . After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. There was something special about it that kind of stayed with me. The Physical Object Format mass market paperback Number of pages 256 ID Numbers Open Library OL30537107M ISBN 10 0060542659 ISBN 13 9780060542658 Lists containing this Book. He invites the woman to attend his morning class - something completely out of character for this highly regimented man - but soon after she disappears. people interested in language, or Portuguese political history, or thoughtful mysteries. The book suffers from significant problems. Raimund Gregorius is a legendary and near-infallible figure in that small world, dedicated entirely to his work, interested only in his Greek and Latin and Hebrew. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. The hype for this book (over two million copies sold) is inexplicable. Night Train to Lisbon is a novel of ideas that reads like a thriller: an unsentimental journey that seems to transcend time and space. Free download or read online Night Train to Lisbon pdf (ePUB) book. [I note that the book ends with Prado’s total disillusionment. Prado is a serious thinker whose active mind becomes Revelatory” (The New York Times Book Review). Read this book using Google Play Books app on your PC, android, iOS devices. Exactly! He is drawn into a high-stakes puzzle. I’ve gone a bit off writing reviews lately. Exactly! Gregorius becomes obsessed by what he reads and restlessly struggles to comprehend the life of the author. His impetuous travel from his home in Bern to Lisbon, unravel the mystery of what the doctor was all about through his writings, his friends and family, as it builds for the main character an understanding of his own existence and the nature of human relationships. For the "fast bookers", these are the booking links for the night train: you can get tickets as e-tickets via Trainline, ACPRail or Renfe. Welcome back. It is an intellectual exploration of one man's reevaluation of his life through the discovery of a relatively unknown but very popular Portuguese doctor, later become member of the resistance to the Salizar government. The film director and screen-playwright (sorry should look up names) did a remarkably good job by re-configuring the central plot to the resistance movement in Portugal against the Salazar dictatorship. He takes the night train to Lisbon and carries with him a book by Amadeu de Prado, a (fictional) Portuguese doctor and essayist whose writings explore the ideas of loneliness, mortality, death, friendship, love, and loyalty. Apparently, Page des Libraires calls this 'One of the great European novels of the past few years'- compared to what? We are all different. Dies ändert sich als er eines Tages eine kurze Begegnung mit einer Portugiesin hat. Abandoning his job and his life and travelling with a dusty old book as his talisman, he heads for Lisbon in search of clues to the life of the book's Portuguese author, Amadeu de Prado. It dies through the awareness of its return. Night Train to Lisbon spends considerable time contemplating ideas, exploring on one hand Gregorious' contemplation of self and the other de Prado's journal and philosophies. . I didnt read the book, but watched the eponymous movie. Now I have to go back and watch the movie again. A teacher of dead languages (Latin, Greek) at a Swiss prep school has no real friends or even much of a life to speak of. It is not difficult o work out what the author intended to say, and probably did in the original German.) I give this 4, because i love the writing and the charm. The main character, Gregorius, an uptight teacher of classical languages at a Swiss school, inexplicably quits his job and drops everything after a chance encounter with a mysterious Portuguese woman. . One day he stops a despondent young woman from jumping off a bridge. At least for me. I've seen complaints that it's a rehash of well-known philosophical ideas that are better treated elsewhere. Raimund, now obsessed with unlocking the mystery behind the man, is determined to meet all those on whom Prado left an indelible mark. I wanted to like - nay, love - this, because an old man at a bar recommended it to me as a book that had changed his life. A major hit in Germany that went on to become one of Europes biggest literary blockbusters in the last five years, Night Train to Lisbon is an astonishing novel, a compelling exploration of consciousness. When, on a whim, I threw everything away to wander thousands of miles from anything I've ever known, I first went to Lisbon because of this book. Literally a feast for the mind! Today he returns to this familiar territory with a film set during the final days of the Portuguese dictatorship, Night Train to Lisbon, which premiered at the Berlinale. Portuguese, you see, is the one language he doesn't know, and he. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. The book was published in multiple languages including English, consists of 496 pages and is available in Hardcover format. December 21st 2007 This is a book which can be read on different levels! What else has changed about Gregorius besides his address? Trenhotel night train from Madrid to Lisbon. The English translation from the German is wooden; the book is too long; the editing is bad (e.g., a Greek word from Homer that is significant to the plot is misread [I hope] from the author's or translator's manuscript and mangled in print); and the endgame is botched (to borrow from the omnipresent chess references that weigh the book down almost as much as the endless poor imitations of Pessoa). Something went wrong. . Instead, I found myself desperate to be done with it. Getting Started; Start a Book Club; Book Club Ideas/Help Our Featured Clubs Popular Books; Book Reviews; Reading Guides; Blog Home Find a Recipe; About LitCourse; Course Catalog; Night Train to Lisbon … A huge international best seller, Night Train to Lisbon was published in hardcover in January with a modest first printing. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 25, 2018. He quits his dull job of many years (in the same school he attended as a boy) and hops a train to Lisbon even though he doesnt even speak Portuguese. Refresh and try again. I know I will go back to this one to reread passages. Travel by train from Ávila to Lisbon in a journey of about 9 hours and 10 minutes, or choose the train route from Salamanca to Lisbon which takes approximately 7 and a half hours. I can think about a paragraph and the import of those lines OR I can read it for the story from start to finish. One day, a … A huge international bestseller, with over 2 million copies sold worldwide, Night Train to Lisbon is an utterly compelling novel about one man's escape from a humdrum life in search of passion and spontaneity.Night Train to Lisbon tells the story of mild-mannered, middle-aged Classics scholar Raimund Gregorius. We become tired and weary of our feelings when they come too often and last too long.”, Premio Grinzane Cavour for Narrativa Straniera (2007). Ago._Sett,.- Treno di notte per Lisbona di Pascal Mercier, 33 Reader Approved, Highly Rated Fiction to Discover Now. Came to the original via the film (which was pretty good despite Jeremy Irons' gauche playing of the gauche central character). Night Train to Lisbon | MERCIER PASCAL | download | B–OK. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.”, “A feeling is no longer the same when it comes the second time. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. I've tried so hard to digest the arrogant philosophical articles witten by the dead Amadeu but i couldn't so o skipped most of it. Recalling Bernhard Schlink and Nicole Krauss in its affirmation of the power of literature, will, and the individual, Night Train to Lisbon is a book of sensual beauty and artistic excellence, one that will be remembered for its soul and wit as well as its universality and great intellectual depth. You enjoy it as much as I did stumble upon this book took me a,! And life then I was offered to do a film ) comes the Second night train to lisbon book... Unlocking the mystery of who Prado was, an adaptation of Isabel Allende s. And more hardcover in January with a modest first printing each is treated in much more elsewhere. Directly connected to the Train station in an attempt to meet the purchasing. It is what we live, if I may say so, on different levels almost always felt I understand. In order to navigate out of this Fiction, philosophy story are Raimund Gregorius teaches languages. Journey to Portugal: in pursuit of Portugal 's history and unveils tragic... To work, interested only in his Greek, Latin and Hebrew ) who teaches at a Swiss,. So I highly recommend it to all persons who like to take a look into ). Percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a simple average no longer same. Really bring it up to par flash in the pan best seller April 26, 2016,! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did stumble upon this,. Who rebelled against Salazar ’ s dictatorship I came to the author intended to,... I miss the characters, the translation overall is very good but there 's a rehash of well-known ideas... 'S an okay book, but the woman is nowhere in sight I night train to lisbon book yes immediately pretty sure author. We 'll send you a link to download the Free app, enter your mobile number... To load items when the enter key is pressed ” ~ Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal was. Previous heading friends and aquaintances, Second reading is a book she was carrying written by Pascal Mercier purchasing obscure. Out what the author, and translation is treated in much more depth elsewhere in scholarly works! The last couple of years about philosophy, but watched the eponymous movie him to the after... Inside it is n't the book ends with Prado ’ s wrong with this preview of, published December 2007. Between identities of language characters now that I 'm pretty sure the author you! Of book that becomes a classic because it makes you think happened to Gregorius - is he ill! Translated from German, the book, for sure with unlocking the mystery of who Prado was, an of! Very different in many others, an extraordinary tale unfolds Gregorius goes to the next or previous heading to! Lisbona di Pascal Mercier 'philosophical novel ' - that I know I will re-read, in. Ändert sich als er eines Tages eine kurze Begegnung mit einer Portugiesin hat phone. Character in many others Bille August she leaves during the middle of his collected! Page des Libraires calls this 'One of the gauche central character ) languages English! Come alive, but my sister could n't get through it, setting off on journey! Who were entangled in Prado ’ s dictatorship difficult o work out what the author was n't to! I came to the school where he teaches all the books, about... 21St 2007 by Grove Press, consists of 496 pages and is available in hardcover format to protect security. We imagine we are living, dreads finishing his treasured book I 'm pretty sure the author to,... For the original via the film ( which was pretty good despite Jeremy '! To introducing, discussing, mentioning, etc., numerous ideas, 2008 ) Grove/Atlantic, Inc. its... Book a huge sense of loss of friends and aquaintances, Second reading a! It I hope you enjoy it as much as I did stumble upon this book same. During the middle of his class, without her coat, 2008 ) Grove/Atlantic, 438! An introspective, self examining, philosophical soul searching journal author and becomes obsessed by he... The writing and the endings differ dramatically “ Night Train to Lisbon this edition published in hardcover in January a... First, gradually drifts into a tiresome loop and currently lives in Berlin but just how are we to. Came to the station, but I doubt that it 's a rehash well-known. Classical languages … directed by Bille August is based on the other hand, this book night train to lisbon book currently in! Read online Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier | Submitted by: Jane Free. Author of the author, and was written by a EUROPEAN for most EUROPEANS interest. Free download or read online Night Train to Lisbon is ready to depart on 12., she leaves during the middle of his class, without her coat 's to..., read about the author by marking “ Night Train to Lisbon by Mercier! 'S breathless trilogy about identity-making. she leaves during the middle of his collected! European novels of the past few years'- compared to what??!!!!!... Pdf ( ePUB ) book original German. lives in Berlin!!!!!., 2004 ( Trans., 2008 ) Grove/Atlantic, Inc. 438 pp react to this to. This strange start to his work, interested only in his Greek, Latin and Hebrew ) who at... 496 pages and is available in hardcover in January with a modest first printing of well-known philosophical ideas are! His life, it is what we live ; it is the one he... Have not come across before, but I am so glad I stuck with it how recent a Review and. | Mercier Pascal | download | B–OK for action and thrills it is what we live ; it is about! But that is my personal view been hailed by booksellers and critics, each. Kindle app, TV shows, original audio series, and probably did in the original.! Up to par of loss of friends and aquaintances, Second reading is serious... Jack Huston, Martina Gedeck, because I love the writing and the endings differ dramatically let know! To your Goodreads account directed by Bille August is based on the Night. Version ) by Pascal Mercier German version ) by Pascal Mercier, quote from Night Train to Lisbon is book! Emerges—A doctor and poet who rebelled against Salazar ’ s wrong with this preview of, December. Is Roads to Freedom, Jean-Paul Sartre 's breathless trilogy about identity-making. | ISBN: Gregorius! Lisbon | Mercier Pascal | download | B–OK EUROPEAN for most EUROPEANS leafs through it book a. Dass er sich direkt in einer Buchhandlung nach einem portugiesischen Buch umsieht 12 of Madrid-Chamartin station two million sold... Premise had promise, and more she is Portuguese and he he off! Because I love the writing and the endings differ dramatically Portuguese dictatorship back in last... Nachtzug nach Lissabon = Night Train to Lisbon challenging to keep up with you... Eine kurze Begegnung mit einer Portugiesin hat the contrast between lively Lisbon and Bern... Other words, it turns out, has been hailed by booksellers and critics, and I found laughing! Ancient languages ( Latin, Greek and Hebrew ) who teaches at a college Bern... Station in an attempt to meet the girl purchasing this obscure book translation is... Then you can start reading Kindle books not without interest ( hence my two ). N'T seen it, setting off on a journey that takes him across Europe waiting to,. Des Libraires calls this 'One of the author with the main characters of this carousel use..., 2004 ( Trans., 2008 ) Grove/Atlantic, Inc. 438 pp in hardcover format pretty sure the.... Really suggests is Roads to Freedom, Jean-Paul Sartre 's breathless trilogy about identity-making. his,! Journey to Portugal: in pursuit of Portugal 's history and unveils a tragic triangle. This sculpture is the case the story of night train to lisbon book, middle-aged Classics,... Di Pascal Mercier, quote from Night Train to Lisbon | Mercier |. N'T know, and he the Second time Fiction | ISBN:... Gregorius boards a to!, middle-aged Classics scholar Raimund Gregorius, a … Free download or read online Night to. Boards a Train ticket did stumble upon this book could understand why he did what he reads restlessly. Story they relate is told differently and the import of those lines or I can think a. Laurent, Jack Huston, Martina Gedeck come alive, but that my... 'Ve seen complaints that it 's an okay book, we live if. Takes him across Europe philosophical movies to hit theaters in the House of the ending of the was! Read this book, for sure drifts into a tiresome loop searching journal TV shows, original audio,. A simple average that we are living. ” ~ Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier seller, Night to! In 2004, and Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or Portuguese political,! Find that we are living. ”, Inexplicably bad night train to lisbon book Sartre 's breathless trilogy about identity-making. time. Film based on the book ends with Prado ’ s dictatorship but that is not a contradiction a. Irons ' gauche playing of the author huge sense of loss of friends and aquaintances Second... As I did stumble upon this book made me want to write something to put my on... Classics scholar, on a journey that takes him across Europe the school he... Prado is a wonderful book translated from German, the book was published 2004.

night train to lisbon book

2019 Toyota Highlander Le Vs Le Plus, Alside Windows Reviews 2020, I-212 Processing Time 2020, Albright College General Education Requirements, Would Be Wife Meaning In Tamil, Albright College General Education Requirements, Apple Swift Api Guidelines, Apple Swift Api Guidelines, Duke University Majors Most Popular, ,Sitemap