The house and yard are completely fenced in with chain link fencing. The most effective way to get rid of the skunk smell whether it be on the side of your house or your family dog, is a simple solution that is a quart of hydrogen peroxide, a … wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. This was the only article that helped that I could find. So far so good. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. They are a delicacy for skunks. Learn to use Zoom in this beginner-friendly course. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. The build of this product is awesome but the greatest feature is the guillotine style door on it. Position the skunk trap in a way that will easily let the skunk enter the trap and keep you from facing his rear, just in case. Remove nuts, berries, and other natural food sources. Trapping animals yourself can save you a lot of money in the long run and rehoming these animals is more humane. Thanks! In this case, the skunk will have to enter your property for the light to work as a deterrent. Check with your local wildlife removal agency first, because trapping is not legal in every state. Just pour either solution over your dog, massage it in, let it sit for as long as possible, then rinse. ", "Has given me methods to keep skunks out of my yard. How to Get Rid of Mice for Good: Surefire Tactics to Remove Those Rascally Rodents ; Skunks can carry rabies, so if you do see one, be aware of the warning signs. Once you have caught and rehomed your skunk, you likely have to return home and decide how to take care of your home, clothes, pets, and car. If you find little holes around your yard and especially under fences or near entryways to your basements, porches or sheds, you probably have skunks. If you choose to use ammonia to turn away a skunk, your best choice is the aforementioned predator urine. All of these precautions will help reduce the likelihood of skunks and other problem animals like snakes and deer, from coming to your house. Mix together and wash. To treat your home, Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus), Cypress (Cupressus semervirens), Pine (Pinus sylvestris), and Peppermint are recommended. "I have had a skunk in my yard for several months. The tips on what repels them and different ways to trap, "I think skunks are somewhat cute for a rodent, but after trying to clean up after each of my dogs got sprayed, they, "I didn't know about using ammonia-soaked rags. spritzer bottle with water. Use cat food as bait. How do you protect pets? The solar lights flash repetitively all night, every night. There are 2 dogs on the property that have already been sprayed after living there only 2 weeks. Skunk Facts. Just soak old rags or cotton balls in ammonia and place these soaked clothes near their den. ", you will still reap benefits from your purchase. Seal up any access points to sheds, basements, or underneath porches. You will want to toss out the vinegar daily but it works! Still, one thing to note, just because they are poor climbers does NOT mean they cannot dig. The best thing, "This information on the habits of skunks & how best to get rid of them was easy to access & understand. How to Get Rid Of Skunks In the Backyard? Store the materials in a shed or bin to prevent skunks from moving in. There are 2 devices included in the package for complex area coverage. Skunks can climb and are pretty good at it. Skunks do not get into houses often, but it can happen. Hello, My name is Blane and I’m a life-long resident of Southeastern Louisiana. Using 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, ¾ cup of baking soda, and 2 tablespoons of dish detergent mixed in a large bowl, you should be able to give your pets a thorough washing that will have them skunk smell free in no time at all. They have also been known to wander into open outhouses, leaving their persistent smell everywhere they visit – under a building, woodpile, or shed. Release by tying (or clamping) a twenty foot or longer cord to the lid handle. Many home remedies call for mothballs or ammonia as a means to repel skunks. Log piles and piles of lumber or building materials can serve as shelters for skunks. They do prefer to burrow so only in extraordinary circumstances will they go over a fence but it has been done. This is a rental. If possible, store your trash bins in a shed or in your garage at night, so their smell doesn't attract skunks. If you spot a skunk digging up your lawn, it’s probably looking for grubs to eat. They use their spray to fend off predators or perceived dangers. If they spray their stink indoors, here is what you need to do. Very helpful. Place citrus peels around the edges of your yard, or spray with bad-smelling chemicals, like pepper spray or dog urine. To use this, get some ammonia and pour out a portion into a plastic bottle. However, they do eat crop-destroying grubs such as cutworm larvae and hornworm larvae, and even small creatures like mice and rabbit kits, so they are beneficial when in balance. This practice may not be permitted in your area. 1-866-775-1919 This will help the smell dissipate. How does a person get rid of a skunk or skunks that live under a house that is elevated, i.e., siding is around the house and several inches above the ground. When you do wash them, use a very hot water setting and detergent to help break down the oils. This product is not effective for deterring squirrels, fox, or coyotes and may actually be attractive to them. I’ve been dealing with a gradually building skunk issue for going on 4 years. Boil a chopped onion, a chopped jalapeno, and 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper in 2 quarts of water for about 20 minutes. Facebook Twitter Email Telegram. Here's some tips for getting rid of it. There are several methods of treating a dog or cat that has been sprayed. Getting too close to them you will risk getting sprayed with their noxious spray, or be bitten by a skunk that is rabid. Last Updated: November 18, 2020 That one appeared to be one of the kits from a recent litter and that’s where the mother had nested. Hence follow the tips on how to get rid of skunks eating grubs as the best skunk repellent. Remove any food sources that might attract skunks to your house, such as food bushes (like nuts and berries), open trash cans and pet food. That can be scavenged insects, fruit, compost, nuts, seeds, etc. Whether it be providing counsel, content, or hands-on support; my goal remains to add value to the lives of the people I serve. This means they are awake and hunting at night. ", "I used bags of moth balls. Before taking this step to fill the burrows, it is a good idea to be sure you are not trapping in skunks who still live in the burrows. I did not know what to do. If you see skunks hanging out in bushes or low vegetation, you might want to trim back the branches so it's not quite as appealing. ", "Gave me ideas on how deter the skunks coming into my yard at night. Call an animal control services for help. I currently have a mama skunk with 3 little skunks that follow her, "I'm about to move to an area that has an abundance of the little critters and the article gave me some real good, "Three ways to eliminate skunks without much effort on your part. Skunks also love lazy gardeners – fallen fruits, nuts, or veggies are like chum in the water. What will keep skunks away from my house? Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Related Article: 13 Best Ways To Get Rid of Groundhogs. Here are some frequently asked questions about how to get rid of that terrible smell! Well, the answer is Yes. Musk is the word used to describe the very pungent scent that skunks release if they feel threatened or injured. Trap Shack Co. Red Fox Urine is a natural, non-lethal deterrent for small night animals. It’s also possible to use chlorine bleach and water to wash the floors. Likewise, the skunk’s skin layer will also get irritated by this natural snake repellent. Thanks for all the info, I will take it one step at a time. Do you know how to release a trapped skunk? Skunks can be especially problematic if you have pets around, as it’s very common for pets to be sprayed. This will allow you to take off the lid and letting the skunk make its own way back into nature without danger of getting sprayed. The odor of ammonia from these clothes is sure to act favorably is your answer to the eternal ‘how to get rid of skunks’ question. Skunks make holes in yards because they are looking for food. Now I do. Also, if it rains, it will need to be distributed again. If you are allowed to trap animals where you live, you can buy or rent one at many local hardware or garden stores. If you have trees that produce nuts, berries, crabapples, or other fruits, clean them up by raking your yard as often as necessary. Similar to other methods, removing the skunk spray odor from your garage is tricky. If you have a friend with a pick-up truck to transport the skunk, that is your best bet. ", "I liked the details on how to get rid of the little critters. So we recommend you to sprinkle this cayenne pepper. If not, then the skunks have moved on and it is safe to fill the abandoned burrows with gravel. Both are a great choice and will help you get rid of the skunks on your property. Scatter orange or lemon peels around your property and under your deck or porch. For example, using the Urine with the Noise or Light solutions is usually effective and very inexpensive. The other end should hang out like a wick. I will be peeing regularly on my perimeter! Turn on the fans and utilize the benefit of a good ventilation system in your home. Skunks, as night animals, are extremely sensitive to light. Skunks are not inclined to return over long distances to previous den sites. Clean out the debris and junk from your property. ", https://www.livescience.com/55151-skunks.html, https://cabinlife.com/articles/article/animal-proof-your-trash, http://www.cherryhill-nj.com/DocumentCenter/View/1854/Tips-to-deter-skunks-nuisance-wildlife-from-your-property?bidId=, https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/animals-and-wildlife/making-a-stink-how-to-keep-skunks-out-of-your-garden, https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/what-do-about-skunks, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Put it in your truck and carry the skunk away to a wooded area. If you are unlucky enough to smell their very distinct musk, either in your home, on your animals or in your yard, then you probably have a skunk. They sure did have fun chasing that skunk around the yard though. To learn more about how to deter skunks with sprinklers or lights, keep reading! They make these holes digging around for insects and berries to eat as well as to find a place to make home or burrow. In the same way, motion activated sprinklers can scare off a skunk trying to run across a lawn space. Season 3, Episode #29 | Have a skunk hanging around? Always a good idea to keep garbage cans tightly sealed with lids to protect from not only skunk entry but other small animals as well. Otherwise, it’s time for a different strategy. Gently scrub the inside surfaces of your car but do not saturate the carpet or upholstery. ", are not that cute! Learn how to make your property less enticing to skunks who need a home and get rid of skunks that have already moved in. There are much more effective and safer ways to deter skunks. Thanks. If you know where they’re nesting, you can loosely fill the entrance to their burrow with leaves or newspaper. ", skunk is still under the house when I do? You are likely to find their empty burrows around your yard these burrows are a very good indicator that you have a skunk problem on your property and possibly in your home. To deter skunks naturally, rake up natural food sources like nuts, seeds, and berries, lock up your trash cans, and close off hiding places like decks and porches. Use the tarp or blanket as a shield for yourself until you have the trap and skunk covered. If you have old cars, tractors, or any junk lying around, get rid of it as soon as possible. Like the rest of us, they want a warm, safe place to sleep. If possible, avoid trapping skunks during their breeding season in the spring and summer. This provides an impenetrable barrier around the entire perimeter of the deck or shed. Citrus peels have natural repellent qualities. Trapping is one option available to you to get rid of the skunks on your property. Skunks mate once a year between February and May and litters are born from mid-spring to mid-summer. Once the skunk is caught, you’ll need to approach the trap very carefully. Keep pet food, animal feed, and bird seed in chew-proof containers and safely housed at night. In this guide, I’m going to show you exactly how to get rid of skunks using proven methods. They may have been only playing a game of night tag but the skunk was terrified! In fact, since they are new to their ‘powers’ they will spray for seemingly no reason at all at first. Set it near the skunk's den or its route of access to your property. Other chemical repellents include fox or dog urine, ammonia and citrus peels, each of which is explained more fully in Part 2 above. Check your local laws to be sure you can trap and transport your local animals. After the skunk is inside, put a lid on the garbage can. Most wild skunks will find their way onto your property when the weather starts to get cooler. Do not approach the skunk, and back away slowly if it seems aggressive. Nighttime Solar Powered Skunk and Animal Repeller by Pest Soldier comes as a 2pk. Since then they’ve been following a trail to my house and you know the rest of the story. That raunchy smell coming from your room for the last 6 months (yes it can stain the air for nearly 6 long months), is probably from a skunk. Havahart 1045 Large 1-Door Humane Animal Trap is the humane way to trap and rehome. These can be made into a blend and added with water to spritz and spray around the house. ", "It's gone! The sooner you act to rid your home, clothes, car, or pets of the smell, the sooner you will be rid of it. Often this works well paired with a few of the other methods listed. Do you know how to dispose of the dead skunk legally? I’ve been working as Pest Control Technician and Inspector at Advantage Services in Louisiana for over 1.5 years now. If placed in a few small bowls around the house, vinegar can absorb the smells very well. By Ame Vanorio. Skunks also like eating plants, leaves, flowers, buds, berries, grains, nuts, etc., as they’re not too particular and this can make them a pest for the gardener. It may last even longer if it has permeated fabrics, upholstery or other absorbent materials. The product is waterproof and deters light nocturnal animals, including skunks. Using Red Fox urine as a cover scent to deter skunks is very effective. It’s not wise to transport a trapped skunk inside your car. Ee figured that’s the price for being surrounded by pastures. How to get rid of skunks naturally. You have various options to remove skunk odor, each of which will have varying degrees of success depending on how quickly you can treat the odor problem. A burrow is a small tunnel that skunks dig out to make a home for themselves and their kits. Start Slowly. Cleaning out these potential areas is the best thing you can do to ensure the shy skunk doesn’t come anywhere near your home to set up his or her home. Fortunately, skunks are usually fairly easy to get rid of, even if approaching them head-on is not recommended. The Critter Ridder® Motion-Activated Animal Repellent & Sprinkler is an effective skunk repellent because it uses fear to condition the animal to stay away. No more skunks! In addition, distributing predator urine (fox urine in this case) around the yard and its parameters is useful in deterring skunks, and other night animals. Having a skunk around always puts your pets and your property at risk of smelling, but you can get rid of skunks humanely and easily. How to Get Rid of Skunks. Skunks don’t have a huge feeding range – if one is hanging about your property there is a good chance it’s finding food there. It starts working almost immediately and most odors eliminated within 15 minutes. Do you know how often to check a skunk trap you’ve set? If you approach it from the front or the back you risk startling it and having it spray. How To Get Rid of Skunks In Your Yard Getting rid of skunks in your yard breaks down into fairly easy steps. It is not recommended that you chase or go near the skunk to try to scare it away, as you run a high risk of being sprayed. Skunks can tear up a yard and dig away at your foundation trying to create their burrows or find their warm place to burrow. Use powerful lights; Citrus. Soak old rags in ammonia and place them under your deck or porch to keep skunks from coming in. If you have a garden, harvest ripe fruit and vegetables as soon as you can, to prevent a hungry skunk from feasting on them. Ammonia also deters skunks. If you are planning to rid your property of skunks, it’s best to do so before breeding season starts in the Spring. Skunks are unlikely to hurt you or your loved ones, but there is a very real possibility that they will make your home smell horrible, which is why most people want these animals gone as soon as possible. Citrus peels can be scattered under the deck, and you can always use lemon peels instead. To create this article, 29 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Vinegar is another good solution. The first step in ridding your home of the foul stench of skunk spray is to open all the windows and doors immediately. Related Article: 12 Best Ways To Get Rid of Raccoons. Another great sign you have skunks is, of course, the terrible scent of their spray leaves in your yard, or your home, your furniture, your clothes, etc. It worked, the skunk left. The skunk will not be able to get out of the garbage can. Thank you for the information. Use a tray under your bird feeder to catch most of the seeds, and clean up stray seeds dropped by birds often. Skunks usually breed in the Spring and the mother skunks care for their kits until Fall. When used and reapplied after a few days, this spray will help you to get rid of skunks. You can use charcoal to absorb the smells in your car by placing a few blocks in a cup, setting it on the floorboard, and leaving it there for a few weeks. Try using motion-sensor lights that pop on whenever there is movement; skunks won’t like the sudden lighting at night. This way you can avoid the skunk spraying in your car. Spray them on trees and other areas where you've seen skunks. How do you protect pets? Any type of debris is a potential shelter for skunks. Skunk odor can get into just about anything and stick for up to approximately a month. The only trick is that it may need to be reapplied daily or every few days. ", is informative enough that I am bookmarking this page! Follow the methods for prevention and should you need to remove or rehome an adorably stinky skunk or skunk family from your property, apply any and all of the skunk deterrent solutions listed above. Make sure the solution gets to every part of the skunk spray odor and wait for fifteen minutes. Ammonia is a strong skunk repellent used to keep them away. Stick with us to figure out how to get rid of skunks with ammonia! If any animal is euthanized, be familiar with the laws in your county. If you have access to a hose, spray some water near the skunk until it runs away. The predator can be stopped from at least 500 yards. Use lemon peels; Use lime peels; Lemon or lime juice; Citrus essential oils; Make your own citrus spray; Does Irish Spring soap keep skunks away? You should not have to worry about the skunk spraying you unless it feels threatened. A great first step in de-skunking animals is tomato juice or brewed coffee baths. Unlike raccoons, skunks can take a hint. As a bonus, the flashing red light can fool criminals into thinking your property has a security system. The last and most important part of this process is installing a one-way door on the most accessible corner of the structure. You risk getting a dose of their noxious spray, or worse, a bite from a skunk carrying rabies. Made in the USA. Will peppermint oil keep skunks away? Check local laws before trapping and relocating a skunk. Professional wildlife control service providers can adequately get the job done. Solar lights are a great way to deter night animals from coming onto your property. No matter how much you love animals, you would never like to see those small furry black and white striped mammals around or within your house. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Skunk removal is always best left to the professionals, but if you’re going to try it, make sure you’re armed with the proper knowledge. For example, using the Urine with the Noise or Light solutions is usually effective and very inexpensive. Pour a half cup of baking soda or vinegar per gallon of water and let them soak for hours before washing them as you normally would. Get a long, sturdy piece of wood (it must be thick and heavy enough to hold skunk, maybe a 2 x 4). Skunks eat fallen berries, fruits, seeds, as well as, insects. Typically, it’s wild skunks and their young, called kits, that are quick to do this, as they startle easily. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. You should get rid of wood, debris piles, rocks, or any other cover that would attract foraging skunks and encourage them to make a home within your property. ", "Have learned what we can do to eliminate skunks or deter them. Along with their spray having a very strong and displeasing odor, skunks can cause serious property damage. Skunks in the wild are different from the adorable animals you see in the zoo or on television. They eat insects, berries, and vegetables. Over half of my life has been dedicated to providing service to people with a premium placed on excellence. Use baking soda or vinegar and water to remove the skunk odor from your clothes. ", living in a bush on the side of my patio. This will ensure that no … There are a few ways to make your property a little less desirable and send those furry little stinkers off in search of another home and food source. Open the windows and run the fans; Heat up a pan of vinegar on your stove ; Also, place dishes of vinegar around the house. Skunks can be easily transported using this trap and it’s great for use on the farm, around the yard, in the garden, and under the porch or shed. Ame lives off-the-grid on her beautiful farm in Falmouth, Kentucky. Below are some tips that will help you learn how to get rid of a skunk. % of people told us that this article helped them. Since the 4th of July, I've seen a skunk in my back yard several times. Do skunks climb? A skunk odor can last up to 14-21 days on clothing if left untreated. Any time you approach a skunk trap, go very slowly to avoid scaring thing skunk and having it spray. Magic! Next, you will need to prepare a solution of water and vinegar. Many times, no matter how well our house, shed, or porch is constructed, there are gaps in the build. Who hasn’t built fence upon fence trying to get this pesky critter out of their yard? This article has been viewed 1,457,927 times. This is primarily because most mother skunks will endure almost any control method while caring for their kits. I killed eight skunks last year and just killed one at 4:00 this morning trying to find a way under the house. Mothballs are meant to repel moths. Removing Sources of Skunk Food and Shelter, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/7b\/Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/7b\/Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/aid1098893-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/75\/Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/75\/Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/aid1098893-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2b\/Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2b\/Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/aid1098893-v4-728px-Get-Rid-of-Skunks-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"