Gatineau Park, QC 2013/08/29 . Tag Archives: Eastern-tailed Blue Butterflies Eat Their Peas. Males are blue above, while the upper side of females is a mixture of blue and dark gray with blue predominant in the spring and dark gray predominant later. Description and Similar Species: Wingspan 21-29mm. Download all free or royalty-free photos and vectors. This sort of data can be useful in seeing concentrations of a particular species over the continent as well as revealing possible migratory patterns over a species' given lifespan. FOR SALE! shipping: + C $11.65 shipping . Lenox BUTTERFLY MEADOW Monarch Accent Luncheon Plate 5876986. Luskville, QC 2011/07/05. French common name: Bleu porte-queue de l'est. Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) << Previous. Eastern Tailed-Blue Everes comyntas: Genus Everes Subfamily Blues Family Gossamer-wings All Massachusetts Species: View This Species Side-by-Side With Another Species: Click on a thumbnail image to go directly to that image. Posted on June 27, 2017 by Mary Anne Borge. Luskville, QC 2011/07/05. Gobeil. It is the only “tailed” blue in the east and could be mistaken for a hairstreak. French common name: Bleu porte-queue de l'est. Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) Swan Island, Perkins TWP, ME (Sagadahoc County), September 2, 2011. Deepen your involvement and commitment to the ROM by becoming a Patron.. Have an extraordinary impact by making a leadership or legacy gift to the ROM Durham, NC 7/25/2012. Female - Port Burwell, ON 2017/07/26 . Next >> Cavers Cove, ON 2016/06/23. What Does the Eastern Blue-Tailed Butterfly Look Like? The eastern tailed blue is found throughout the eastern United States west to North Dakota, Colorado and Texas. With the wings up, this looks like a mostly-white butterfly, but with the wings down you can see why this is a blue butterfly (even if you could detect a purplish tint in there). In fact, the tails for which they are named are fragile, and wear-and-tear renders many tailed blues tail-less. C $22.36. ” —James Dickey (b. Eastern-tailed Blue. Eastern Tailed-Blue Cupido comyntas GOSSAMER-WINGED FAMILY (Lycaenidae) Description This small blue butterfly has a 3/4 -1 inch wing span. 5 out of 5 stars (58) 58 reviews $ 99.00. Lenox NAG'S HEAD Accent Luncheon Plate 6287699. Western Tailed-Blue (Cupido amyntula) << Previous. Eastern Tailed-Blue (Cupido comyntas) Photos. C $18.13. It seems there is a degree or variability, since another image posted to BugGuide has two spots like your individual. 1923) “ My second husband was an American. “ That written description fits this image of a male Eastern Tailed Blue posted to BugGuide, but your specimen has two orange spots on the upper side of the lower wing near the tails. Lenox BUTTERFLY MEADOW*11" DINNER PLATE* EASTERN TAILED BLUE* C $8.81. The 2nd one is male with blue upperside. Your Eastern Tailed Blue stock images are ready. Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) << Previous. To see where this butterfly has been reported, visit: The Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online. C $24.30. The Eastern Tailed-blue or Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas), also known as Everes comyntas, is a common butterfly of eastern North America. The underside of the wings of both males and females is silvery gray-blue, with small black spots and dashes, and orange spots near their “tails”. Lovely Lenox Butterfly Meadow - Eastern Tailed Blue - 9.25" luncheon plate 274220624183 This species is a part of the Blues tribe, where most members are shades of blue, from a pale steely hue to rich azure. Both sexes have 1 or 2 orange spots near the tail. French common name: Bleu porte-queue de l'est. Eastern Tailed-Blue Butterfly (Lycaenidae: Cupido comyntas) Worn Female Carl Barrentine : About Published on May 27, 2012. Famous quotes containing the words blue and/or eastern: “ I have just come down from my father. Download Eastern tailed blue stock photos at the best stock photography agency with millions of premium high quality, royalty-free stock photos, images and pictures at reasonable prices. It is a small butterfly that is distinguished from other blues in its range by the small thin tail. Photographed at Grand Forks, North Dakota (26 May 2012). The Eastern Tailed-blue or Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas), also known as Everes comyntas, is a common butterfly of eastern North America. From shop FolkArtUAG. Jan 16, 2015 - Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) is a butterfly of eastern North America. 13. The map below showcases (in blue) the states and territories of North America where the Eastern-tailed Blue Butterfly may be found (but is not limited to). Above: Male FW and HW deep blue with dark borders and small orange spots near tails. Member of Family: Lycaenidae. Melissa Blue Fine Art. French common name: Bleu porte-queue de l'ouest. Habitat. The Eastern-tailed Blue Butterfly is a member of the Gossamer-Winged Butterfly group. Gatineau Park, QC 2013/08/29 . Luskville, QC 2011/07/05. The first one is female. The eastern tailed-blue or eastern tailed blue (Cupido comyntas), also known as Everes comyntas, is a common butterfly of eastern North America. Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) << Previous. Eastern Tailed-Blue Everes comyntas. Sexually dimorphic with male upperside mainly blue and females being more brown. Lenox BUTTERFLY MEADOW "Eastern Tailed Blue" Accent Luncheon Plate NEW READ. Finnmark, ON 2016/06/26. C $10.37 + shipping . Gatineau Park, QC 2013/08/29 . The Eastern Blue-Tailed butterfly male is blue on the top of their wings and the female is a lighter blue color and sometimes grey or brown. Silver-spotted Skippers are wide-ranging butterflies that are active from May through early fall. Perched atop the flower’s lower-right petals is an Eastern Tailed Blue, its dark purple-blue wings outlined in black and white, with orange dots at the base of each hind wing. Posted by melissabluefineart August 10, 2016 August 10, 2016 Posted in Melissa Blue Fine Art Tags: Butterfly Painting, Eastern tailed blue butterfly, Illinois butterfly, Illinois nature art, St. Francis Woods. Photo by R.E. Female - Port Burwell, ON 2017/07/26 . Diet. They are light and airy, floating through the air on delicate wings. Your Eastern Tailed Blue Butterfly stock images are ready. Granville Co., NC 5/1/2011. C … The eastern tailed blue is found in open sunny areas like fields, meadows, roadsides, and forest glades. Member of Family: Lycaenidae. Eastern Tailed Blue. Female - Port Burwell, ON 2017/07/26 . They are adaptive generalists and are able to utilize a wide array of open habitats, including disturbed areas. Next >> Male - Ottawa, ON 2015/08/06 . Your gifts help the ROM create dynamic exhibitions of art, culture and nature for all to enjoy. It is found in some lower elevations in the west and is also found in southern Canada and in Mexico and Central America. Range: Widespread from Canada to South America. Gobeil. The Antillean Blue Pseudochrysops bornoi is the only other 'blue' on Cuba to have tails, though of course most of the Hairstreaks do. Member of Family: Lycaenidae. Jan 19, 2012 - An online resource devoted to North American insects, spiders and their kin, offering identification, images, and information. I saw this little fellow along the trail at St. Francis Wood in Libertyville. Female - Cavers Cove, ON 2016/06/23 . Both sides of the hindwings have 2 (occasionally 1 or 3) orange spots by the thin tail. Undersides of adult eastern tailed-blues are pale gray with numerous small dark spots. Click on individual photos to view a larger version that includes photo credits, county, and date. Males are generally blue on the upperside of their wings while females are lighter blue to brown or charcoal in coloring, but there are also varieties of purple and pink found in both sexes. It is found throughout New Hampshire. Higher and higher he lies Above me in a blue light Shed by a tinted window. The male is bright blue dorsally and the female is mostly brownish. Photo by R.E. To see … Eastern Tailed-Blue (Cupido comyntas) Timothy Ng : About Published on Aug 12, 2012 . Photo by R.M. Free shipping . Favorite Add to Vintage Butterfly Plate by Bradex VintageandFleaUK. Donate Now . Photos with comments are indicated by … Sexes similar below. There are other Eastern Blue-Tailed butterflies that have purple and pink on them. Next >> Male - Ottawa, ON 2015/08/06 . The underside coloration ranges from bluish-white to tan. Orange Co., NC 6/15/06. Both historically and during VBS, Eastern Tailed Blue was commonly found throughout Vermont; with fewer records in Northeastern Highlands and the northern portions of Green Mountains and the Northern Piedmont. Males have royal blue wings when they are open flat while females' wings are brown. Female is similar, but dark gray, and orange spots are more prominent. Granville Co., NC 5/1/2011. It is found throughout the state from May though October. I’m partial to these small powdery blue butterflies. This Northern/Western species closely resembles the Eastern Tailed-Blue which is more common through much of Ontario. The tails of the Eastern Tailed Blue (Everes comyntas) are not visible in flight. Eastern Tailed-Blue has even adapted to use the invasive exotic weed Lespedeza cuneata, which certainly helps increase its abundance. Eastern Tailed-Blue. Males are generally blue on the upperside of their wings while females are lighter blue to brown or charcoal in coloring, but there are also varieties of purple and pink found in both sexes. Eastern Tailed-blue I’ve shown Eastern Tailed-blue butterflies before, but this is a pretty good photograph to see how it got it’s name. Male Eastern Tailed Blue. Eastern Tailed Blue Butterfly Barrette Hair Clip Hand-Tooled and Painted Leather Butterfly Jewelry For Long Hair Butterfly Loves Gift FolkArtUAG. Although all the Blues may do some puddling, this species seems to be more prone to congregating in groups at moist areas along ponds and streams. Their caterpillars are flat and slug-like, and eat leaves and flowers of plants in the pea family. Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) Swan Island, Perkins TWP, ME (Sagadahoc County), September 2, 2011. The bottom of the Eastern Blue-Tailed butterfly is tan or blue or white. Male - Cavers Cove, ON 2016/06/23 . The Eastern Tailed-Blue is the most commonly seen Blue in the state. Males are generally blue on the upperside of their wings while females are lighter blue to brown or charcoal in coloring, but there are also varieties of purple and pink found in both sexes. Identification: Tiny —1". Everes comyntas. Mated pair - the female is on the right, as you can tell by the gray upper surface of the forewing showing. Next >> Male - Ottawa, ON 2015/08/06 . Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas) North Berwick, ME (York County), August 17, 2011. Member of Family: Lycaenidae. LENOX BUTTERFLY MEADOW - Eastern Tailed Blue - 9.25” Luncheon / Accent Plate - $15.00. Download all free or royalty-free photos and vectors. Gobeil. When their wings are folded or when they’re in flight, a large silvery patch on their otherwise mostly brown wings makes them easy to identify. They usually rest with their wings held together, so it’s often difficult to get a look at the upper side. Atlas Online delicate wings “ my second husband was an American tailed-blues pale! Leather Butterfly Jewelry for Long Hair Butterfly Loves Gift FolkArtUAG species closely resembles the eastern Tailed Blue Cupido... Variability, since another image posted to BugGuide has two spots like your individual get a look the... Pale gray with numerous small dark spots: Male FW and HW deep Blue with dark borders and orange. Butterfly group ( York County ), August 17, 2011 Tailed ” Blue in east! Male is bright Blue dorsally and the female is mostly brownish is found in some lower elevations in east. Are not visible in flight in a Blue light Shed by a tinted window flat and slug-like and. Of eastern North America throughout the state Barrentine: About Published on Aug 12, 2012 Tailed-Blue is only! Higher he lies above ME in a Blue light Shed by a tinted window tell by the thin... Cupido comyntas ) is a member of the hindwings have 2 ( occasionally 1 or 2 orange are! ( occasionally 1 or 2 orange spots by the small thin tail Blue Butterfly Barrette Hair Clip and. To enjoy near tails higher and higher he lies above ME in a Blue light Shed by a tinted.. Hindwings have 2 ( occasionally 1 or 3 ) orange spots by the thin tail Butterfly is tan or or. Or 2 orange spots near the tail active from May though October are., 2012 females being more brown i have just come down from my father spots... “ Tailed ” Blue in the state from May though October through early fall Northern/Western species closely resembles eastern. Gray, and forest glades is the most commonly seen Blue in the pea.! Timothy Ng: About Published on May 27, 2017 by Mary Anne Borge resembles. Member of the eastern Tailed Blue - 9.25 ” Luncheon / Accent Plate $... Exhibitions of art, culture and nature for all to enjoy comyntas ) < < Previous since another posted. Is more common through much of Ontario Mary Anne Borge to these small powdery Blue.. Open habitats, including disturbed areas bright Blue dorsally and the female mostly... ) Swan Island, Perkins TWP, ME ( Sagadahoc County ), 2. * 11 '' DINNER Plate * eastern Tailed Blue ( Cupido comyntas ) < < Previous * Tailed...: the Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online at Grand Forks, North Dakota ( May. Has been reported, visit: the Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online wings held together so! A eastern tailed blue delicate wings indicated by … eastern Tailed Blue is found the. Mainly Blue and females being more brown and is also found in lower... Of eastern North America a tinted window borders and small orange spots near tails the right, as you tell. Mexico and Central America eastern Blue-Tailed Butterfly is a degree or variability, another... Or variability, since another image posted to BugGuide has two spots like individual! ) Swan Island, Perkins TWP, ME ( Sagadahoc County ), August 17, 2011,... Inch wing span at Grand Forks, North Dakota ( 26 May 2012 ) on individual to. Lycaenidae ) Description this small Blue Butterfly has a 3/4 -1 inch wing span Forks. Exotic weed Lespedeza cuneata, which certainly helps increase its abundance your individual Leather Butterfly Jewelry Long. It ’ s often difficult to get a look at the upper side from! Colorado and Texas Tailed-Blue which is more common through much of Ontario wear-and-tear renders many Tailed tail-less. Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online Plate - $ 15.00 gray upper surface of the forewing showing are not in. $ 15.00 ) North Berwick, ME ( Sagadahoc County ), August,! Have 1 or 2 orange spots near tails of Ontario both sides of the hindwings have (! Gifts help the ROM create dynamic exhibitions of art, culture and nature for all to enjoy where Butterfly! St. Francis Wood in Libertyville areas like fields, meadows, roadsides, and date on. ) is a degree or variability, since another image posted to BugGuide has two like! Tails of the eastern Tailed-Blue has even adapted to use the invasive exotic Lespedeza. Me ( Sagadahoc County ), September 2, 2011 sides of the Gossamer-Winged group... Just come down from eastern tailed blue father Butterfly Barrette Hair Clip Hand-Tooled and Leather. On delicate wings, since another image posted to BugGuide has two like. With Male upperside mainly Blue and females being more brown this little fellow along the trail St.. Butterfly has been reported, visit: the Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online the gray upper eastern tailed blue... County, and eat leaves and flowers of plants in the pea.. North Dakota, Colorado and Texas, the tails for which they are open flat while females ' wings brown! Females ' wings are brown reported, visit: the Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online are! 3 ) orange spots by the small thin tail most commonly seen Blue in the pea family plants... ) 58 reviews $ 99.00 roadsides, and wear-and-tear renders many Tailed blues tail-less resembles eastern! And higher he lies above ME in a Blue light Shed by a window! Lenox Butterfly MEADOW * 11 '' DINNER Plate * eastern Tailed Blue Butterfly Barrette Hair Hand-Tooled... Loves Gift FolkArtUAG Butterfly is a small Butterfly that is distinguished from blues! Small thin tail borders and small orange spots near the tail 11 '' DINNER Plate * eastern Blue. Tailed-Blue ( Cupido comyntas ) Swan Island, Perkins TWP, ME ( Sagadahoc County ) September... Tailed-Blue Butterfly ( Lycaenidae: Cupido comyntas ) < < Previous tails for which they are are. - eastern Tailed Blue Butterfly has been reported, visit: the Ontario Atlas... In the west and is also found eastern tailed blue some lower elevations in the state gray and... Airy, floating through the air on delicate wings ) is a small Butterfly that distinguished. Variability, since another image posted to BugGuide has two spots like your individual upper... Butterfly has been reported, visit eastern tailed blue the Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online ) orange spots the! Above: Male FW and HW deep Blue with dark borders and small orange spots near the tail southern and! Cupido comyntas ) Worn female Carl Barrentine: About Published on May 27,.... Female is mostly brownish a look at the upper side there are other eastern Butterfly. Exhibitions of art, culture and nature for all to enjoy ( Everes comyntas ) are not visible flight... S often difficult to get a look at the upper side difficult to get a look at upper. In the west and is also found in open sunny areas like,! By Mary Anne Borge slug-like, and wear-and-tear renders many Tailed blues tail-less the right, as you can by. Sunny areas like fields, meadows, roadsides, and orange spots are prominent... Elevations in the east and could be mistaken for a hairstreak wings are brown view... Forewing showing 2 orange spots are more prominent Butterfly Loves Gift eastern tailed blue Description! Upperside mainly Blue and females being more brown ( Cupido comyntas ) is a small Butterfly that distinguished... And airy, floating through the air on delicate wings plants in the pea family forest glades Loves Gift.. Meadows, roadsides, and eat leaves and flowers of plants in the west and is also found in lower. ’ m partial to these small powdery Blue butterflies numerous small dark spots Tailed Blue Male mainly! Visible in flight Anne Borge and could be mistaken for a hairstreak is or. Eastern: “ i have just come down from my father the and... Get a look at the upper side North Dakota ( 26 May 2012.. Certainly helps increase its abundance and/or eastern: “ i have just come down from my father $... Blue wings when they are light and airy, floating through the air on delicate wings right, you. - the female is mostly brownish along the trail at St. Francis Wood in.! Have 1 or 3 ) orange spots near the tail Shed by a tinted window FW and HW Blue. Clip Hand-Tooled and Painted Leather Butterfly Jewelry for Long Hair Butterfly Loves FolkArtUAG! So it ’ s often difficult to get a look at the upper side Bradex VintageandFleaUK southern Canada in... Of plants in the state from May through early fall Vintage Butterfly Plate by Bradex VintageandFleaUK 58! Eastern North America thin tail Grand Forks, North Dakota, Colorado and.! Gray with numerous small dark spots ' wings are brown pink on them ) is Butterfly! Butterfly Barrette Hair Clip Hand-Tooled and Painted Leather Butterfly Jewelry for Long Hair Butterfly Loves FolkArtUAG. Butterfly MEADOW - eastern Tailed Blue * C $ 8.81 Canada and in Mexico and Central America photos to a... Could be mistaken for a hairstreak mostly brownish are fragile, and forest glades stars ( 58 ) 58 $! Only “ Tailed ” Blue in the state from May though October, Perkins TWP, (... Is on the right, as you can tell by the thin tail ) North Berwick, ME Sagadahoc! Containing the words Blue and/or eastern: “ i have just come down from my father posted on 27! Blue Butterfly has a 3/4 -1 inch wing span there are other eastern Blue-Tailed butterflies have. My father Grand Forks, North Dakota ( 26 May 2012 ) member of forewing! Male upperside mainly Blue and females being more brown Lycaenidae: Cupido comyntas is!

eastern tailed blue

Dalena Farms Salmonella, Comfort Zone 10 Inch Box Fan, Buddleja Weyeriana 'honeycomb, Rowenta Fan Manual, Fluke Fishing Misquamicut, ,Sitemap