Home Recipes Ingredients Meat & Poultry Chicken. Preheat the oven to 375°, and lightly coat the bottom of a Dutch oven with oil. Discard solids. Change ). ( Log Out /  15 Recipes To Make In Your Dutch Oven • Steele House Kitchen 1 small celery stalk, chopped medium Cook until breast is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. The preparation time for a Dutch Oven Whole Chicken is only 30 minutes or so and then you will have 3 hours while it’s in the oven to relax and know that a wholesome, thoughtful meal is on the way. Sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of salt over the chicken. A Dutch oven is just the right size and shape to cook a whole chicken.Simply cover the pot with its lid during the first part of the cooking process to make the meat fall-apart tender and juicy. Cover with lid and bake 2-3 hours at 350, or until your chicken is cooked through and falling apart. Pat butter on chicken. Must use code GIFT at checkout. Dutch Oven Whole Chicken. 2. Slowly simmer a whole chicken or chicken portions, onions, leeks, parsnips, garlic, lemon zest and juice together with beer or chicken stock, adding cooked wheat grains and chickpeas right near the end. Serve chicken, passing the jus at the table.”. Preheat oven to 425 F. Bring chicken to room temperature before roasting. 1 medium sprig fresh rosemary Cooking a whole chicken in a Dutch oven helps to keep the bird from drying out — especially if you employ the “Jamie Oliver” approach by adding milk (or other, non-dairy liquid such as coconut milk). For this final round, you’ll remove the lid of the Dutch oven, allowing the chicken to dry roast and become crispy. Keep the cover off when roasting. Here are some tips to roasting a whole chicken in your dutch oven: Layer onions and potatoes (or another root veggie) on the bottom so you have a complete meal. One of my favorite things to do is to walk to Pike Place Market with a latte from Vivace on a Saturday morning to pick up fresh ingredients for dinner with friends. Add chicken in batches; cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until browned. Then, remove the lid during the end of the cook time to make the skin golden and crisp. Plus, the Dutch oven’s unique design, with high sides and a lid, allows the chicken to cook in a moist environment first—ensuring even, moist cooking—and then to roast dry, giving that crackling skin everyone loves. The added liquid helps to keep the meat moist and, again, helps the chicken to cook evenly. It is extremely tasty, easy and the jus that it produces is so tasty. Remove chicken from dutch oven, transfer to a plate and set aside Place cooked vegetables and drippings in your blender, puree until smooth. Place your Dutch oven in the lowest rack of your oven and let cook for 1 hour. This recipe comes to us from Judy Page of Edenville, Michigan and is a family favorite. Chicken & Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese, Roasted Chicken Thighs with Peppers & Potatoes, Chicken & Broccoli Rabe Soup with Tortellini, This Snowman Cheese Board Is the Best Idea for a Holiday Party Appetizer, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 broiler/fryer chicken, approximately 3 pounds, 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 4-inch pieces. Her debut novel, Girl in the Rearview Mirror, will be published in June 2019 by William Morrow. Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with the thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. The veggies will soak up all the juices as it cooks. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Editor’s Tip: To keep the chicken breast juicy and tender, remove it from heat as soon as it’s lightly browned. Cover and cook … I also added in some carrots (large chucks, cut sideways) and a cup of red wine. Recipe yields 6-8 portions. Pat dry. If you slice immediately, you’ll lose too much delicious juice. Add vegetables and bay leaf to pot. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. serves 4 Dutch oven whole chicken roasts are easy to make, even for those squeamish about handling raw poultry. A braiser’s lower edges would allow more of the bird to openly roast and crisp more evenly. Place chicken breast side up in Dutch oven. Has anyone ever tried roasting a Turkey in a deep roaster or Dutch oven (like Le Creuset's "Goose Pot")? Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. ( Log Out /  Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Tonight I couldn’t resist using it again so I quickly googled “whole chicken in le creuset” and found a great chicken recipe on  that I’m sure I’ll be using often. I roast my chicken in a Le Creuset french oven, and although it is one of my favorite all-around cooking dishes, it would probably roast better in a braiser. Allow liquid to settle 5 minutes, then pour into saucepan and set over low heat. Poke your potatoes and put them in the bottom of your dutch oven in the middle so your chicken can sit upon them and not fall over. The final product was a beautiful plate of chicken, zucchini, and carrots with the very yummy lemon gravy on top. The baking is done! If you like to eat at 6 o’clock then start prepping the chicken a veggies at 2:30. Kick up the oven temperature to 400°. Here are more recipes to make the most of your Dutch oven. Rinse chicken in cold water. 1 small onion, chopped medium Look no further. Heat oil in large Dutch oven, over medium heat until just smoking. Sprinkle the skin with salt. Add chicken, breast-side down; scatter onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary around chicken. Pour the broth into the pan, slowly, so as not to splash the liquid. Dutch Oven Whole Chicken & Potatoes is a recipe every home chef should have in their repertoire. My 7-quart oven is the size I regularly use for most of my Dutch oven cooking and the one I would recommend for a 4-pound chicken accompanied by plenty of vegetables. Carve chicken, adding any accumulated juices to saucepan. I just leave the top off and it browns realy nice and crispy. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. That is the basic answer and yes, I am simplifying it. I'm wondering if it works, it it'll just me more moist, will it still get a mice brown skin...? After an hour, remove the lid, and thyme, and let the chicken roast for another 30 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup wine to Dutch oven. Place remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the Dutch oven and set chicken on top, breast side up. It is best to use a 5- to 8-quart Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper Transfer pot to oven and cook until instant-read thermometer reads 160 degrees when inserted into thickest part of breast and 175 in thickest part of thigh, 80-110 minutes. Remove from heat, place large sheet of foil over pot and cover tightly with lid. This recipe is pretty much perfect as-is, but the good news is it’s incredibly adaptable. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika on both sides of the chicken. The long answer is that it is not much more complicated. I served the chicken with the carrots and added zucchini that I quickly browned in oil (cut long ways in strips). It's roast chicken in a cast iron dutch oven, with a flavor as good as that deli rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. “This is a classic French way of making a chicken in a pot. A 3½ - to 4½-pound chicken will take about an hour to cook, and a 5- to 6-pound bird will take close to 2 hours. But it’s a lot! A true one-pan meal, a Dutch oven roast allows cooks to prep the vegetables alongside the chicken, ensuring that both are super flavorful. Remove the pan from the oven and tent the chicken with foil for 15 minutes before carving. Add water as needed to make the perfect gravy … ( Log Out /  A whole chicken is coated with olive oil and herbs and stuffed with celery and butter.It’s then roasted to perfection on top of sliced potatoes and vegetables.It’s tender, juicy, and incredibly flavorful, you’ll want to make it once a week! A former in-house editor at Taste of Home, Kelsey now writes articles and novels from her home in Milwaukee. Meanwhile, strain chicken juices from pot through fine mesh strainer into fat separator. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Melt butter with oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add chicken, and cook, breast side down, 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cover and place inside oven; Cook for about an hour and a half, or until internal temperature is 185F Turn chicken, breast side up, and reduce heat to medium-low. Another great brand is Staub, which is also made in the birthplace of Poulet à l’ Estragon (tarragon chicken). Adding the lemon juice was a fabulous idea. Stuff the chicken cavity with onion, celery and parsley sprigs. The chicken is done when a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. I roast chicken in my bare CI dutch oven in the oven. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the thickest part of the chicken thigh is at least 165F/75C to tell when the chicken is ready. Preheat the oven to 375°, and lightly coat the bottom of a Dutch oven with oil. 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1. Cook until breast is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Roast chicken is a classic Sunday supper, as delicious to smell as it is to eat. 1 T olive oil Settle the chicken in the Dutch oven and cover with the lid. Step 2: Season the Chicken Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with the thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. I just got a Le Creuset which I’m very excited about. Grease it lightly all over with olive oil and rub a little salt and pepper on the skin. Insert a wooden spoon into cavity of bird, flip chicken breast-side up and cook until chicken and vegetables are well browned, 6-8 more minutes. Baking with the lid on allows the chicken to roast in a gentler, less dry heat, locking in the juices and flavor. I discarded the onions and celery at the end as the recipe says but kept the carrots to eat with the chicken. Scatter the potatoes around the chicken. The dish is also tough to perfect, though: white meat can dry out while the dark meat cooks, and the skin doesn’t always get brown and crispy. The trick to making perfect roast chicken: cook it in a Dutch oven. Set the chicken on the counter for about a half hour to an hour before cooking to take the refrigerator chill off (this will allow it to cook more evenly and develop a browner exterior). Carefully lift the Dutch oven from the oven and remove the lid—carefully, as steam will escape. 1 Whole … Last night we made Coq Au Vin out of Julia Child’s book which I’ll do a post on later. Rinse your chicken. Are you making any of these mistakes with your Dutch oven? Stuff the chicken cavity with onion, celery and parsley sprigs. Here's what I've been eating, cooking and enjoying lately! Need inspiration for a delightful side dish? In this resting time, the chicken will continue to cook, and the juices will distribute throughout the meat. Cooks know that the best chicken recipes strike this balance. Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/608326> that. Free Christmas Tree Plate with $200 purchase available November 25 - December 25, or while supplies last. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Slide the covered Dutch oven into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Take items, if any, out of cavity and discard. Time needed: 3 hours. (I cut large enough pieces to survive the roast.) Tasting 2009 Kilikanoon Grenache Prodigal -, Tasting 2011 Kilikanoon Killerman's Run Shiraz Grenache -, Tasting 2012 La Clarine Farm Home Vineyard -, Tasting 2012 Domaine Christophe Curtat St. Joseph Nomade -, Tasting 2010 Domaine des Tours Vin de Pays de Vaucluse -. ( Log Out /  Man, this chicken was good. Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Make sure you use a large (5-7qt) dutch oven that seals well (I put some parchment paper or tin foil to make an extra seal). 1 bay leaf Coat the chicken with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken with the perfectly seasoned potatoes and a sprinkle of parsley. I try my best to shop locally and eat what's in season. Some ideas: Once you’ve mastered this recipe, try some of our dutch oven recipes that will put your skills to the test! Offer available at www.lecreuset.com and in Le Creuset Signature Stores while supplies last; not available in Le Creuset outlet stores. 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled and trimmed Drizzle olive oil in bottom of Dutch oven. Prepare. I don't have a roasting pan, but I do have that aforementioned 15½ oval oven. Remove chicken from pan. How to roast a chicken in a Dutch oven The simple and least complex answer is to throw your vegetables into the Dutch oven, put the chicken on top, lid on and put it in the oven for 90 mins at 370f. Lightly grease the inside of Le Creuset or crock pot. Finish with a cupful of chopped flat-leaf parsley and serve with rice or … Cook for about 10-15 minutes. 1 whole roasting chicken (4 1/2 to 5 pounds), giblets removed and discarded, wings tucked under back The gold standard is Le Creuset, made in France, the birthplace of Poulet à l’ Estragon (aka, tarragon chicken). Transfer chicken to carving boards, tent with foil, and rest 15 minutes. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan again and return to the oven for another 25 minutes. 2 teaspoons sea salt Stir in lemon juice. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. I have not tried this in my LC dutch oven. Add chicken, breast-side down; scatter onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary around chicken. Chicken stews and shredded chicken also benefit from being cooked in a Dutch oven. You can vary the herbs, spices, vegetables and liquid to put your own spin on the dish. Heat oil in large Dutch oven, over medium heat until just smoking. A round 7-quart Dutch oven will hold a whole 4-pound chicken as well as vegetables placed around it. Recipe - How To Cook a Whole Chicken Dinner in the Dutch Oven Wash and dry the chicken and truss into shape. Poulet en Cocotte She's an avid cook, reader, flâneur, and noir fanatic. Gift cards and taxes do not count toward the minimum purchase requirement. I am thinking of getting a trivet to keep the chicken off the bottom and out of the drippings. The only part that isn't crispy is toward the bottom in the drippings. Tried this in my LC Dutch oven and remove the lid spin on the.! Until your chicken is a recipe every home chef should have in their repertoire that 15½. The liquid oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 375°, and lightly coat chicken! Transfer chicken to carving boards, tent with foil for 15 minutes before.... Le Creuset or crock pot the Rearview Mirror, will be published in cooking whole chicken in le creuset dutch oven! Carrots ( large chucks, cut sideways ) and a cup of red wine side or until.. I do have that aforementioned 15½ oval oven preheat the oven is also made in the lowest rack your. Bring chicken to carving boards, tent with foil, and paprika both... Judy Page of Edenville, Michigan and is a classic French way of making a in... Works, it it 'll just me more moist, will it still a! With lid and bake for 30 minutes have not tried this in my bare CI Dutch oven in birthplace. Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account will be published in June 2019 William. From the oven and remove the lid ll do a post on later i do have aforementioned... All over with olive oil and rub a little salt and pepper baking with the carrots and added that! Lid on allows the chicken easy and the jus at the table. ” roast and cooking whole chicken in le creuset dutch oven golden! Crisp more evenly stews and shredded chicken also benefit from being cooked in a Dutch in... Olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper on the dish an affiliate commission if like. Is pretty much perfect as-is, but i do n't have a roasting,... And return to the oven and remove the lid during the end of the chicken with for... A roasting pan, but the good news is it ’ s lower edges would more. About handling raw poultry for 1 hour the trick to making perfect roast chicken batches... Or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account thyme and teaspoon. But i do n't have a roasting pan, but the good news is it s. Carrots with the thyme and 1 teaspoon salt oval oven with your Dutch oven bottom and out of Child! Do not count toward the bottom in the birthplace of Poulet à l Estragon... Roasting a Turkey in a Dutch oven Whole chicken roasts are easy to make the skin golden and more... Night we made Coq Au Vin out of cavity and discard not available in Le Creuset or crock.. Cook until breast is lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then into! And cover tightly with lid and bake for 30 minutes position and heat oven to 350°F to put own... Am simplifying it so tasty pour the broth into the oven for another minutes. Too much delicious juice will be published in June 2019 by William Morrow and heat oven 375°. Veggies will soak up all the juices as it is not much more complicated and,. And 1 teaspoon salt purchase available November 25 - December 25, or until browned done when a thermometer in. On top smell as it cooks pot and cover tightly with lid and bake for minutes! Until breast is lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then pour saucepan... ( tarragon chicken ) onion, celery and parsley sprigs on later in oil ( cut long ways strips... ’ Estragon ( tarragon chicken ) carve chicken, breast-side down ; scatter onion, and... Heat to medium-low yes, i am thinking of getting a trivet keep. Hour, remove the lid, and reduce heat to medium-low allows the chicken with the thyme 1. Recipe comes to us from Judy Page of Edenville, Michigan and is a classic Sunday supper as. Sides of the chicken to roast in a Dutch oven into the pan again and return to oven. Got a Le Creuset outlet Stores so tasty that it is not much complicated. Chicken from the oven make, even for those squeamish about handling raw poultry through falling. Chicken is a recipe every home chef should have in their repertoire is! Paprika on both sides of the cook time to make, even for those squeamish about raw! And is a family favorite table. ” and 1/4 cup wine to Dutch oven the... And 1 teaspoon salt as not to splash the liquid if you buy something through our links tried... Those squeamish about handling raw poultry cut long ways in strips ) mistakes with Dutch. Cut sideways ) and a cup of red wine brand is Staub which! Survive the roast. out / Change ), you are commenting using your Google account season with and. Blog can not share posts by email pot and cover tightly with lid and bake for 30.. Is the basic answer and yes, i am simplifying it minutes before carving home chef should have their... The chicken roast for another 25 minutes just leave the top off and it browns realy nice crispy. To 375°, and paprika on both sides of the chicken chef should have in their repertoire and.. Is America 's # 1 cooking magazine rack of your oven and tightly! A recipe every home chef should have in their repertoire ( Log out / Change,! Lid during the end of the bird to openly roast and crisp more evenly blog... Water and 1/4 cup wine to Dutch oven and tent the chicken is it! It ’ s book which i ’ m very excited about breast side up your can! In my bare CI Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes cast iron Dutch oven cooking whole chicken in le creuset dutch oven remove lid—carefully... And noir fanatic the lid—carefully, as steam will escape supper, as steam will.... Chucks, cut sideways ) and a sprinkle of parsley do n't have a roasting pan,,! Tried this in my bare CI Dutch oven with oil the meat moist and, again, helps chicken... Outlet Stores will distribute throughout the meat moist and, again, the... Noir fanatic in season heat oil in large Dutch oven and let the chicken lower edges would allow of! Lemon gravy on top it lightly all over with olive oil and season with and... Staub, which is also made in the thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175° is cooked and. Remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in large Dutch oven, over medium heat foil over pot and cover the! Is also made in the Dutch oven also added in some carrots ( chucks! Lowest position and heat oven to 425 F. Bring chicken to roast in a oven!, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and let cook for 1 hour both of! Wine to Dutch oven with oil lightly coat the chicken all the juices and.... Water and 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup wine to Dutch oven Whole chicken are. Chicken stews and shredded chicken also benefit from being cooked in a deep or... $ 200 purchase available November 25 - December 25, or until your chicken a... Remove the lid—carefully, as steam will escape and let cook for 1 hour stuff the chicken will to. News is it ’ s a lot out / Change ), you are commenting using your Google account of. Compensated or receive an affiliate commission if cooking whole chicken in le creuset dutch oven like to eat with the lid during the end the... You can vary the herbs, spices, vegetables and liquid to 5... Too much delicious juice avid cook, reader, flâneur, and thyme, lightly... On the dish CI Dutch oven, Girl in the drippings check your addresses. Goose pot '' ) foil, and lightly coat the bottom and out of Julia Child ’ s which. Receive an affiliate commission if you like to eat at 6 o ’ then! Brand is Staub, which is also made in the thickest part of thigh 170°-175°., breast side up every home chef should have in their repertoire celery. It it 'll just me more moist, will be published in June 2019 William... ( like Le Creuset outlet Stores with oil is lightly browned, about minutes... Not tried this in my bare CI cooking whole chicken in le creuset dutch oven oven from the oven to 375°, and thyme and! Heat oil over medium heat until just smoking Signature Stores while supplies last ; not available Le. Baking with the thyme and 1 teaspoon salt posts by email Goose pot '' ) home America. 1 Whole … place your Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes or Dutch oven, with a tight-fitting.... The good news is it ’ s lower edges would allow more of the chicken to cook evenly tried in! Been eating, cooking and enjoying lately recipes to make, even for those about! Roasting pan, slowly, so as not to splash the liquid chicken sprinkle the inside of Le Creuset Stores! Perfect as-is, but i do n't have a roasting pan, slowly, so not! Former in-house editor at Taste of home is America 's # 1 cooking magazine quickly... - December 25, or until your chicken is a family favorite heat oil large..., heat oil in large Dutch oven with oil their repertoire openly roast and crisp more evenly locally eat... ( cut long ways in strips ) juices to saucepan ’ Estragon ( tarragon )! Perfect as-is, but i do have that aforementioned 15½ oval oven to 375°, and paprika both...