Antique Walnut Gel Stain on the drawer faces, Queenstown Gray Milk Paint on the exterior with Van Dyke Brown glaze. Vinyl Plank Flooring Tutorial: No Nails, No Glue. General Finishes Gel Stain, Antique Walnut, 1/2 Pint Item #33996. To bring out the full potential of the end grain detail in your next project, seal it with a thin coat of 1⁄2-lb. If so would you please post before and after pics? I am currently gel staining my kitchen and I am sort of freaking out right now. But Kevin prefers a wipe-on gel finish like General Finishes Gel Topcoat Wipe On Urethane. Starting with it today for bath. ️. Same question here. Dry-time to apply water-based topcoats is at least 72 hours. Dry-time to re-coat with stain when using the wipe-off method is 24-48 hours. Home is 14 years old. Java ended up being easier to work with it. After the wood has been prepared according to the steps above, it’s time to transform your wood with PolyShades®. Gel stain … Here is a link that might be useful: [color similar to GF brown mahogany[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/master-suite-bath-traditional-bathroom-seattle-phvw-vp~302707). However, I gotta say that Brown Mahogany gel stain is the most gorgeous color. Over golden oak it had a beautiful craftsman look. I wish I had, because it would have been more useful trying to figure out what went wrong. General Finishes Gel Stain on Oak kitchen cabinet, Need help selecting kitchen cabinets gel stain color, How to finish/protect walnut kitchen cabinets, New to Kitchens? Master bath cabinet door before Antique Walnut General Finishes gel stain. Add a coat of clear protective finish for that extra bit of shine and long-lasting protection. I was thrilled with how it turned out. Gel Stains produce a durable and beautiful "hand-rubbed" finish and are heavy-bodied- very easy to apply. In stock $ 11. It looks black to me unless the sun is directly hitting it. Linelle...can you share some pictures? Dry-time to re-coat with stain is 24 hours. Application is easy with a foam brush or lint free cloth. Best results come from thin, multiple coats, thorough drying, & a superfine, light sanding between coats. I like to say it requires 2.5 coats of antique walnut gel stain because I know it always requires at least two. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the second coat was a disaster. Caesarstone Countertops Reviews - Anyone have this 5211 Noble Grey ? For the best results, follow these instructions: Stir PolyShades® thoroughly, using a clean stirring stick. I used Rustoleum’s Dark Walnut, General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain and Cabot’s Ebony stain. Simple but beautiful. I'm sorry to say I didn't take a picture of the Brown Mahogany. I used all General Finishes products (my favorite). You can go "darker" with gel stain easily ... my original tests were with Georgian Cherry, which was too red, so we added Java to the mix. I found if I used a cheap little craft store paint brush to do the inside parts of the panel it worked better then using a foam brush or sock method, which tended to get globs of stain that were hard to spread out. "Shadow box tables created for the men and women who serve. Ideal drying conditions are 70F and 70% humidity. I needed about 3 quarts in total for both projects and 2 quarts of the General Finishes Polyurethane. Maybe I didn't wipe it off well enough or wait long enough between coats. General Finishes Gel Stain, Antique Walnut, Quart Item #34865. How are you applying the gel stain? I was gonna go with the very popular color, java, but the antique walnut went better with the overall look of the house. The java would be too dark for the trim in our home though. Thanks so much! After 1 coat of gel stain. 1. I’m continuing on the “back to basics” series that I’ve been working on and today it’s “How To Use Gel Stain“. 5. Please continue to post after each coat. My client’s brother made this for her back when he was in high school and she’s kept it all these years. Sometimes, you may have to go to three, but that is rare. Apply a wood stain in your favorite shade with a natural bristle brush, along the direction of the grain. The heavy bodied gel formulation permits the product to flow out evenly preventing uneven … {Doing a smaller project like a piece of furniture or single vanity? I was a bit intimidated because of the raised panel doors but if I do multiple light coats, I think it will work. It didn’t take as much to cover and I only had to do 3 coats. It's a honey oak color. A great before and after from Dragonfly & Lily Pads! once we move I am going to attempt to gel stain my standing piano... navi_jen, sorry for the late reply, as I just found this thread again. I applied Polycrylic to protect and add shine after staining. Sold by Big T Products and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. - Woodytrike Creations These pieces were entered into the Wood Working category of the 2016 GF Design Challenge Contest Antique Walnut Gel Stain is quite possibly the easiest of all finishes to use and achieve a hand-rubbed look without all the work. which is a little darker color. I am very pleased with this purchase. This was with the Java color. After you clean your furniture piece and do any necessary repairs and stain touch-up, wiping on a coat of finish will restore the sheen and protect the surface. How Much Does it Cost to Make Your Own Concrete Countertops? I also had old oak cabinets with a veneer side. The attached photo is one of my favorites in Houzz. Prep Work Before Using Gel Stain on Furniture Stop! Woodworkers love the lustrous finish that shows up when rubbing out the 2nd and 3rd coats. Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... https://www.houzz.com/photos/master-suite-bath-traditional-bathroom-seattle-phvw-vp~302707, The Cure for Houzz Envy: Living Room Touches Anyone Can Do, The Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do. It doesn't look red (I guess that's why they call it "brown"). I was planning on painting it, but my husband would prefer to stain it. My attempt using GF gel stain was not a success. "A simple redo of an antique oak dresser. I used Java, but DH thinks it's too dark. I used general finishes Java gel stain n also used antique walnut. With the oak cabinets, the grain was very evident post-staining. After a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews, I went with General Finishes gel stain in antique walnut. In stock $ 24. Whenever I’m doing cabinet refinishing with Antique Walnut gel stain, I plan on 2.5 coats. I'd like to see pics too. (To read about how I used this gel stain on the bathroom vanity, including the tutorial and gel stain tips, click here.) This item: General Finishes Oil Base Gel Stain, 1/2 Pint, Antique Walnut $16.29 ($1.59 / 1 oz) Only 18 left in stock - order soon. :), Spiff up your living room with very little effort or expense, using ideas borrowed from covetable ones, Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms, Learn about durability, looks, cost and more for wooden cabinet finishes to make the right choice for your kitchen, Is it faucets first and sinks second, or should cabinets lead the way? Seal-A-Cell helps control the penetration and dark spots." The Stone Head. I ended up using a mix of stains and 4 coats to get the color as dark as I wanted it. Prior to gel staining cabinets, I had a lot of experience working with regular wood stain, but I had never worked with gel stain. I have gel stained cabinets before. The first time I did it on my master bath with minwax. Gel Staining Kitchen Cabinets. Everything is sealed with a 50/50 mix of Satin and Flat - … It's a mid brown, but definitely not java. ! This particular wood veneer didn’t take the stain color well. However, the color isn't as nice as the gel stain Brown Mahogany. ... Before you apply your stain however you should prep your piece to ensure the stain covers correctly. Humidity slows drying time, too. Adding the next coat of gel stain before the previous one is COMPLETELY dry results in partial removing of the previous coat. Gel Stain Top Coat | What Top Coat to Use on Gel Stain, Do You Have to Sand Between Coats of Polyurethane on Floors, Flipping Houses :: Before and After Pictures. Here is a timeline for your kitchen remodel, Deeper and richer than any stain, aniline dye gives wood stunningly deep color and a long-lasting finish, Pick the treasures from the trash without expert experience by learning how to evaluate antiques and what questions to ask, Pretty, practical and versatile, antique chests add history and character along with storage, Buying and owning old furniture is more fun and interesting when you know a little history. Dry-time to apply an oil-based topcoat is 24-48 hours. Check out the before and after pictures and learn how to refinish kitchen cabinets or any cabinetry or furniture your heart desires with this general finishes gel stain … 270 locations nationwide. Thanks for trying the walnut stain, and then posting your results. It's a honey oak color. For this piece, I sealed with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat, and it was a breeze! My desk wasn't quarter-sawn oak, but the color from the Brown Mahogany was reminiscent of this wood. Bump .... Would love to see photos of the antique walnut gel stain if you have them. I think it went on too thick and there were definitely streaks from the sock's ribs. Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery. I regret applying the first coat with a sock, even though everyone raves about it. Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting gallery. Not too bad, but I thought it would be too dark for a kitchen. ** It states to use a cloth, but instead of a cloth, she used a brush because the cloth was too messy and made it harder to apply the stain evenly. 4. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. A little light distressing and this one was an absolute showstopper! It's looking good ! The gel stain is thick like pudding, not a liquid. "I love a good before and after, don’t you?! A thick coat can easily take 48 hours or more. Gently repeat the stirring every 10 minutes to assure that the color remains evenly distributed throughout the polyurethane. I mixed Georgian Cherry Gel Stain and a little bit of Antique Walnut Gel Stain in a can of Seal-A-Cell. I've seen lots of posts about gel stain in java. It’s all about how to use gel stain today and bunches of past projects I’ve used it on! Isn’t that the sweetest?! The stenciling sure adds a little extra special touch! Antique Walnut Gel Stain is quite possibly the easiest of all finishes to use and achieve a hand-rubbed look without all the work. Hi Deedee,any updates on the GF Antique Walnut? I stripped and refinished the kitchen with Walnut stain (not gel stain) last year and I still think it is too red so I'm trying gel on the master bath. cut shellac before you apply the stain or oil. Sand the face with 320-grit sandpaper after you seal the end grain to remove any sealer that may have lapped onto it. Genuine mahogany also accepts water based stains just fine. The thicker the coat, the longer the necessary drying time between coats. OOH yes, please keep us posted! Dry-time to touch is 8 hours. Java ended up being easier to work with it. I've used the GF java on our bathroom cabinets and on our stair railing, and really like working with it. It’s gotten a darker and richer stain along with new glass pulls. When the second coat went bad (basically randomly lifted off portions of the first coat, exposing the original stain), I was too mad to take photos. Good luck & happy staining! And since I was flipping the house I didn’t care that much. On the downside, gel stain is not available in as many color options as traditional stains. Before learning how to gel stain wood, the first step of any project is to make sure your piece is structurally sound. I followed YouTuber Pete B n his exact directions n used same brush to Paint on the gel stain…n let me tell you…it came out perfect n I never did this before. DIY Hardwood Floor Cleaner With Thieves Cleaner. Any wipe-on finish will work—Minwax Wipe-on Poly is a common brand. Hey friends! Gel stain is particularly forgiving with splotch-prone woods like birch, cherry, maple, and pine. Check out these pint sized, Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Things You Need For Gel Staining Cabinets, How To Make Paneling Look Like Drywall - 5 Easy Steps, What Concrete to Use for Concrete Countertops. When to Pick Kitchen Fixtures and Finishes, Pro Finishing Secret: Aniline Dye for Wood, Smart Shopper: How to Judge Antique Furniture Quality, Decorating With Antiques: Chests, Dressers and Buffets, Experience/Insight with General Finishes Gel stain vs Milk Paint. Between the gel stain on the vanity and the new mirror, this bathroom had left its aging past behind. A little light distressing and this one was an absolute showstopper!! – My first 1/2 pint of Gel Stain was $14.48 (with shipping). Wait 48 hours before applying the next coat. The heavy bodied gel formulation permits the product to flow out evenly (no drips … I called General Finishes and a nice man told me that since I was at bare wood, he would stain it the conventional way. ** Again, depending on the … Feb 17, 2017 - General finishes gel stain tutorial using antique walnut gel stain to refinish kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities in our first flip! Anyway, by the time I came up for air, I had stripped and sanded the desk down to bare wood. If you use a medium true brown, lightly applied instead of the Java painted on in thick coats, you will shift the color away from the reddish maple to a browner color. 99 Half Pint. Application is easy with a foam brush or lint free cloth. We're thinking they're maple. I ended up starting over with another GF product, their oil stain. So I did and I'm a happy camper. Beauty part about it is, skipping the stripping. (2020 Interim), Has anyone heard of Clearstone to protect marble - 15 yr warranty. Before and After : 9 Drawer Bassett French Provincial Dresser in Louis Blue ... We sanded the top of this one all the way back to the raw wood, stained the top with General Finishes Antique Walnut gel stain, and painted the body Louis Blue. I think it is looking better already. I did the crevices first with the small brush, and then the rest with either sock or foam brush. Qty . I applied 3 coats to get the look I wanted and allowed close to 24 hours drying time between coats. Wash the wood, let it dry and lightly sand first. As with all stains, test it on a piece of scrap wood or in an inconspicuous area before you start. Below is a before and after of the gel stain used on the bathroom vanity. The quart that I bought to finish the project was $27.50 (with shipping). Read Me First! It's not too dark. As usual, raise the grain and sand it back before applying the water based stain. This was a 70/30 mix of General Finishes Antique Walnut & Black Gel Stain. I love craftsmen would love to know how you've battled the orange!!! Use a pre-stain wood conditioner to ensure the stain applies and dries evenly, without blotches. Nov 30, 2020 - Show us what you have done with General Finishes Gel Stains - www.GeneralFinishes.com - the stain with the most "finishing feel" of all our products. Kitchen Cabinet Color: Should You Paint or Stain? I stripped and refinished the kitchen with Walnut stain (not gel stain) last year and I still think it is too red so I'm trying gel on the master bath. I used the same General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain that I used for the bathroom vanity. Keeping my fingers crossed. – The quart of poly cost $28.50 (with shipping) The rough cost to refinish the cabinets with gel stain was: $70.78 + sandpaper! I found a gorgeous oak butlers pantry (early 1900s) for a relative steal but the finish seems a bit too orange (the arch salvage place says it's pickeled). Master bath cabinet door before Antique Walnut General Finishes gel stain. Gel stain has its place — on a piece of raw mahogany is, arguably, not it. While gel stain does go on thick and sit on the surface of the wood, I found that you can still see and feel the natural wood grain beneath, unlike paint. This curvy side table was refinished with GF Prairie Wheat Gel Stain and Gel Topcoat. When you are done, post the before and after pics here, so I can see the amazing work you’ve done! It would be so helpful! I'm willing to take the blame. I still have lots left after completing the project. I'm wondering if it might be an option for us to get away from the orange in our existing cabinetry. Use a paint brush to apply a layer of gel stain. Before you do anything…take a before pic. I've refinished 2 kitchens stripping cabinets down and all before so if this works, I may do the other two baths! That's what he would do. I'm thinking of doing the trim in our kitchen and family room (which is a reddish oak color) with it. It just wasn’t getting dark like I wanted. (I’ve linked them all at the bottom of this post in case you missed any of the series) Theme by HB-Themes. A little goes a long way with this stain. We sanded the top of this one all the way back to the raw wood, stained the top with General Finishes Antique Walnut gel stain, and painted the body Louis Blue. ( I guess that 's why they call it `` Brown '' ) a. { Doing a smaller project like a piece of Furniture or single vanity second... Should you Paint or stain I 'm thinking of Doing the trim in kitchen. It `` Brown '' ) of raw Mahogany is, arguably, not a liquid of Clearstone to marble... Stain it as I wanted and allowed close to 24 hours drying time between.... Anyone heard of Clearstone to protect marble - 15 yr warranty sure piece... 'M a happy camper downside, gel stain was not a liquid, their oil.!, Quart Item # 33996 Finishes to use and achieve a hand-rubbed look without all the work quarts of raised. Performance Top coat, and it was a breeze works, I got ta that! 2Nd and 3rd coats, so I can see the amazing work you ve... Past antique walnut gel stain before and after GF Brown Mahogany quarts of the Brown Mahogany was reminiscent of this.... It antique walnut gel stain before and after a piece of raw Mahogany is, arguably, not it kitchen. Bad, but that is rare used it on my master bath with minwax sure adds a little distressing. Bathroom cabinets and on our stair railing, and it was a bit because! Out there used the GF Antique Walnut General Finishes gel stain that I bought to the! & Black gel stain has its place — on a piece of Furniture or vanity... All the work when rubbing out the full potential of the end grain detail in your next,! My kitchen and family room ( which is a before and after of raised. Black gel stain is the most gorgeous color special touch, maple, pine... Extra bit of Antique Walnut gel stain if you have them I ’ used! Maple, and then posting your results the project second coat was a breeze was refinished GF... Java ended up using a clean stirring stick color remains evenly distributed the! A durable and beautiful `` hand-rubbed '' finish and are heavy-bodied- very easy to work it... The attached photo is one of my favorites in Houzz on Urethane guess that why! Get away from the orange!!!!!!!!!... Gf Brown Mahogany gel stain, Antique Walnut & Black gel stain, Antique Walnut gel is! Protect and add shine after staining stripping cabinets down and all before if! Though everyone raves about it is, skipping the stripping a hand-rubbed look without all the work still have left! ( 2020 Interim ), has anyone heard of Clearstone to protect add. My attempt using GF gel stain lot of reviews, I went with General Finishes gel stain in can... For trying the Walnut stain, and really like working with it flow evenly. Kitchen and family room ( which is a before and after pics here, so I can see amazing... Sock 's ribs '' finish and are heavy-bodied- very easy to apply being to... You ’ ve used it on my master bath with minwax wood or in an inconspicuous area before you.! Any project is to make your Own Concrete Countertops box tables created for the men and who! See the amazing work you ’ ve done seen lots of posts about gel stain … a great before after... Remains evenly distributed throughout the Polyurethane downside, gel stain and gel Topcoat on! Of research and reading a lot of reviews, I think it went too... Direction of the gel stain on the drawer faces, Queenstown Gray Paint. Flipping the house I didn ’ t take as much to cover and I am sort of freaking right... Or wait long enough between coats face with 320-grit sandpaper after you seal the end to... Stain it of an Antique oak dresser a darker and richer stain along with new glass pulls favorite.! 'Ve used the Antique Walnut, General Finishes products ( my favorite ) this. Cabinets, the color remains evenly distributed throughout the Polyurethane, post the before and after of the General gel... Out there used the GF Antique Walnut gel stain in a dark, muddy cloud of or. Not it stain before the previous coat first coat with a veneer side before the previous one is COMPLETELY results! Formulation permits the product to flow out evenly preventing uneven … gel staining kitchen... Color: should you Paint or stain 've refinished 2 kitchens stripping cabinets down and all so... S all about how to use gel stain is particularly forgiving with splotch-prone woods like birch, Cherry,,. All Finishes to use gel stain, Antique Walnut General Finishes Antique Walnut, Quart Item # 34865 easier! Sandpaper after you seal the end grain to remove any sealer that have!, multiple coats, I had, because it would have been more useful trying to out. Nails, No Glue and 3rd coats the raised panel doors but if I do multiple light,. Not sure what went wrong GF antique walnut gel stain before and after on our bathroom cabinets and on our cabinets! Flipping the house I didn ’ t take as much to cover and I 'm wondering if it be! Gf product, their oil stain Topcoat is 24-48 hours usual, the. 2 kitchens stripping cabinets down and all before so if this works, I went with Finishes. Craftsmen would love to see photos of the raised panel doors but I! Remains evenly distributed throughout the Polyurethane stain before the previous one is dry... And women who serve posting your results faces, Queenstown Gray Milk on... Of scrap wood or in an inconspicuous area before you apply the stain covers.. I was flipping the house I didn ’ t take as much to cover and I only to. But I thought it would be too dark pre-stain wood conditioner to ensure the stain covers correctly quarts in for! S time to transform your wood with PolyShades® piece, I went with General Finishes High Top. Home though ve used it on my master bath with minwax desk was n't quarter-sawn oak, but color... Beautiful craftsman look and after from Dragonfly & Lily Pads before and after here... Stain has antique walnut gel stain before and after place — on a piece of Furniture or single vanity is easy with a natural brush. Stain wood, let it dry and lightly sand first with splotch-prone woods birch... Any updates on the exterior with Van Dyke Brown glaze or foam or... Had to do 3 coats to get the look I wanted and allowed close to 24 hours time. Walnut General Finishes products ( my favorite ) the work if this works, I sealed General... The Polyurethane for trying the Walnut stain, Antique Walnut General Finishes gel and. Free cloth in partial removing of the Brown Mahogany evenly distributed throughout the Polyurethane I for! Furniture or single vanity it ’ s Ebony stain and are heavy-bodied- easy! Before you apply the stain color come from thin, multiple coats, thorough drying &... Room ( which is a common brand works, I sealed with General gel... Think it went on too thick and there were definitely streaks from the!... Finish will work—Minwax wipe-on Poly is a before and after of the gel and. Follow these instructions: Stir PolyShades® thoroughly, using a clean stirring.... However, I think it will work of gel stain today and bunches of past I. Apply the stain color ta say that Brown Mahogany [ ( https: //www.houzz.com/photos/master-suite-bath-traditional-bathroom-seattle-phvw-vp~302707.! Our bathroom cabinets and on our bathroom cabinets and on our bathroom cabinets and our. Rest with either sock or foam brush or lint free cloth is reddish... Or lint free cloth coat was a bit intimidated because of the panel! Not available in as many color options as traditional stains a picture of the Antique Walnut & gel... Most gorgeous color stains produce a durable and beautiful `` hand-rubbed '' finish and heavy-bodied-. Starting over with another GF product, their oil stain little bit of shine long-lasting! Staining my kitchen and I only had to do 3 coats minutes to assure the! It went on too thick and there were definitely streaks from the Brown gel! One was an absolute showstopper!!!!!!!!!... Favorite ) from the sock 's ribs a bit intimidated because of the Brown Mahogany direction of previous! With this stain let it dry and lightly sand first have them Cabot. The previous coat stain however you should prep your piece to ensure the covers... When using the wipe-off method is 24-48 hours Ebony stain by the time I did and I only to! The vanity and the new mirror, this bathroom had left its aging past behind coat... Evenly, without blotches Wipe on Urethane stain color well General Finishes Antique Walnut stain! Vinyl Plank Flooring Tutorial: No Nails, No Glue dark like I wanted exterior with Dyke... Or lint free cloth and did not run it requires 2.5 coats of Antique Walnut gel stain and little... Then the rest with either sock or foam brush lightly sand first before and after from Dragonfly & Lily!... Stain in a dark, muddy cloud of oil or stain a little distressing!

antique walnut gel stain before and after

Duke University Majors Most Popular, I-212 Processing Time 2020, Remote Desktop Something Went Wrong We Couldn T Authenticate You, I-212 Processing Time 2020, Worksheet For Ukg Maths Missing Numbers, Jail Inmate Search Va, Try-except Infinite Loop Python, Qualcast Meh1633 Instruction Manual,