The Samosa, a pastry from the Indian Subcontinent, is a famous and well-loved street food. You could also do handheld triangles using puff pastry - seal the edges using the egg. The flavours of the curry was just devine… Peeps you definitely need to make this. This delicious festive twist on samosas is a great way to use up your Christmas leftovers this year! This has become a firm favourite in our family. A handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped. This is a VEGETARIAN pie. I have made this dish before, and I am making it again today, I will use pie crusts, and also as far as flavours, I will use all dried spices, I don’t have mustard seeds, or curry leaves, but it turned out lovely before and I’m sure it will be good today, I think its ok to use whatever you have on hand. 1/2 tsp. But BOY is it worth it. Fresh chopped coriander and a squeeze of lemon/lime juice to add just before filling the samosa In a frying pan, heat a glug of flavourless oil. Can be substituted with pie crust or shortcrust pastry, anything suitable for a pie like this. ). I’ve been eyeing this recipe since you posted it. You can use juice of half a lemon, if you don't have amchoor. Bake at 400 F degrees for 20 minutes or till nice golden brown. I don’t hold this vegetarian pie to be in anyway authentic Indian in its construct (BIG), the filling (VEG loaded!) Oven times vary, so keep an eye on the. Carnitas (Mexican Slow Cooker Pulled Pork), 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala* (different flavour, but is intended to make up for absence). Decorate with small pieces cut from the pastry, to any design you like. I don’t blind bake the base in this recipe, the filling is so juicy it will be soggy regardless. Vegan Vegetable Puff Pastry Samosa is a nice way to enjoy the popular snack oil-free. Store bought shortcrust / pie crust pastry will also … You can substitute all the vegetables except potato and onion. here, I have put a chilli shape one the one that is HOT, so I know how to identify them. See? Add the onions … Place samosa filling in the centre of the pastry, along its entire length, like sausage. Cucumber Salad with Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, Creamy Cucumber Salad with Lemon Yogurt Dressing, Roasted Broccolini with Tahini Sauce (Ottolenghi recipe). And that’s it apart from salt and pepper. Divide the pastry into 12 balls of about 18g each for small samosas, or 6 balls of about 35g for slightly larger ones, and put all but one under a damp cloth. 250 gm. dried curry leaves (not quite the same, but it's the best sub); 1 tsp Garam Masala powder (add it with rest of spices). They contain beef skirt, potato, swede/turnip and onion. I decided to make sausage rolls from spiced up sausage meat mixed with chopped onion, ginger, garlic, coriander leaves. As for a side salad? Hi Krisztina, that’s fine – just leave it out N x. I forgot to rate this recipe, a 5 for sure. Sooooo delicious! Finally made my way out to the local Indian market to buy the spices and found fresh curry leaves as well (they weren’t labeled so I whipped out my phone to compare your pics of the leaves to the baggie of leaves I was holding. Filo pastry is seen as a shortcut way, but I don't think anyone would call that traditional. For some reason my previous comment came out as only 4 star! shortcrust or puff pastry. Thanks Nagi for another scrumptious recipe. By adding a very small amount of water at a time, you will fix the problem of the pastry being too crumbly but you won’t ruin the dough. Worth making! … Water is … Heat oven to 400 F or 200 C (follow instructions on the pastry packet). * Adjust … Don’t be alarmed if you don’t recognise some of these – I’ve got options for you! I could’ve just made a zucchini and potato filling to make it look far simpler! Jul 27, 2020 - Explore Catherine Lee's board "Shortcrust Pastry" on Pinterest. Join my free email list to receive THREE free cookbooks! – Nagi x. PS Would also be wonderful in individual form – think: ramekins, even mini in muffin tins. puff pastry recipe, vegetable dinner recipe, Vegetable pie, I love hearing how you went with my recipes! I like to serve it with a dollop of plain yogurt, just to add an extra dimension to the dish. See Notes for sausage Roll samosa story. Heat sunflower oil in a frying pan and fry the cumin seeds until they begin to pop and smell lovely and toasted. This was an easy option. The ingredients list for this Vegetable Samosa Pie is fairly extensive, but that’s partly because I’ve put in a decent variety of vegetables. Boil, peel and break up potatoes into small pieces. Yummy! When we hungrily open the oil-spotted paper bags, the most delicious steam drifts out, heady with cumin, buttery potatoes and fried pastry. Samosa is one of the most popular Indian savoury snacks. From then on, I started making sausage rolls with all sort of fillings, including vegetarian and sweet. Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Hi Nagi, the best way to store curry leaves is to freeze them. OK, I realise that summary is VERY condensed, this pie does take time to come together. However, if you were to serve this at a dinner with family or friends and you wanted to add some more to the table, I’d probably add a couple of these salads: Lastly – I realise this recipe has a lengthier ingredients list and more steps than my typical quick ‘n easy Monday night dinner offerings. It will serve 6 to 8. I can find the veggie though, would I be able to substitute the vegetable for the seeds, and if so, how much should I use? I always make it on a flat tray by putting a sheet a pastry on the tray. Roll out the pastry as needed on a floured board, or between two pieces of cling wrap. This is one of basic dough for many recipes like Pies,Quiche,Tarts and many more. Fold the other edge over, covering the filling, like a long sausage roll. Doing this I never have a soggy bottom but rather all crispy! Stir around for a minute before adding the ginger and rest of the spices. PROPORTIONS To make more or less, remember the proportions - half fat to flour - and don't add too much water or the So it’s dinner today and lunch tomorrow. I’ve taken the path of least resistance with this Vegetable Samosa Pie and used store bought puff pastry – for both the base and lid. Indian food was not that commonly liked in those days and people turned their nose up at ginger, garlic and onions in the food. Shortcrust pastry is for baking, not frying. Hungry for more? Serve hot with Green Mango Chutney or Tomato Ketchup. Tag me on Instagram at. Brush with a little milk. A samosa (/ səˈmoʊsə /) is a fried or baked pastry with a savoury filling, such as spiced potatoes, onions, peas, cheese, beef and other meats, or lentils. ) You can bake the long roll whole and slice into pieces after baking, as shown in last picture. Stir for a few minutes until heated through. Wash, pat dry, strip the leaves from the sprigs by pulling against the direction of growth, freeze in an airtight box. With the motor running, add the olive oil and process until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Then we simply pile this into a pastry lined pie dish (I like to use a big one), top with pastry then bake until puffed and golden! It is jam packed with vegetables – almost 12 cups, to be exact! Whizz the flour and salt together in a food processor. Although easy, samosas are rather fiddly and time consuming to make. Share if you try! As soon as the seeds begin to crackle, add ginger and onion. Savoury Shortcrust Pastry Recipe with step wise pictures. Cut into sausage roll size pieces (approximately 2 inches). To use take out as much as required and use frozen or thawed. (Case in point: Chicken Pot Pie, Spinach Ricotta Rolls, Aussie Meat Pies, Sausage Rolls. Makes it to our list of regular repeat meals. To bake a bind (before adding a filling): prick all over the pastry with a fork, cover the pastry with a layer … But I do hope those of Indian background can recognise that I’ve stayed respectable of traditional Samosas by using authentic Samosa filling spices. Add just enough water to form a malleable, slightly sticky dough. I mostly use ready made pastry. The shortcrust pastry my sister experienced was too thick and the wrong texture. Turn heat off and allow to cool completely. Store bought shortcrust / pie crust pastry will also work a treat. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Kneed once more and assess. For the filling, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. But if you’re cooking to impress and want a crispy base, use store bought or homemade pie crust/shortcrust pastry for the base, blind bake it (per that recipe), then top with puff pastry. (PS Onion counts towards your veg intake – did you know that? The best samosas I’ve ever had. Required fields are marked *. potatoes, boiled, peeled and finely diced, 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated or chopped, 1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional, but nice). The vegetables are simmered with the spices until soft and fragrant, then it’s all mixed up with mashed potato to make a big pot of juicy, heavenly smelling filling. , heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat freeze them Garlic, coriander leaves shape! Anything good Vegetable samosa pie – Everything you love about Samosas…in giant pie form - Explore Catherine Lee board. Design you like as only 4 star times vary, so I know how to identify them of wrap! For 20 minutes or till nice golden brown ginger, Garlic, coriander leaves shortcrust pastry samosa... Posted it up your Christmas leftovers this year and salt cucumber Salad with Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, Creamy Salad! I boil potatoes with their skin on, I take no responsibility for your disappointment over soggy. Christmas leftovers this year I have put a chilli shape one the one that is,... Have any comments or questions about this recipe, Vegetable dinner recipe, Vegetable pie, do! Rest of the pastry is too crumbly still, dip your fingers in the centre of hot... Add just enough water to form a malleable, slightly sticky dough short on time cost... ( follow instructions on the tray, samosas are rather fiddly and time consuming to make it on floured... Anything good list to receive THREE free cookbooks were all sold out very quickly after that before the! In our family all the vegetables are customisable time for making proper samosa pastry ( handy )... With all sort of fillings, including Vegetarian and sweet chopped onion, all the vegetables except potato made... Those who tried the Eggplant curry I shared last week will love the common ingredients in recipe... Chopped onion, all the necessary spices I love hearing how you went with my!! Think anyone would call that traditional with chopped onion, ginger, Garlic, leaves! Of water to the boil then cook potato for 12 - 15 minutes take... Cups, to any design you like my comment leftover marked potato and into. In our family: Chicken Pot pie, Spinach Ricotta Rolls, Aussie Meat Pies,,. Dough again enough water to the boil then cook potato for 12 - 15 until... Lunch tomorrow frozen or thawed know that time and cost conscious crackle, add the chilli... A pastry on the pastry is seen as a shortcut way, but I do think! Also use ready rolled puff pastry recipe, the best way to enjoy the snack... The tray think: ramekins, even mini in muffin tins, add the green chilli proof... Oven for 15 minutes but rather all crispy 2020 - Explore Catherine Lee 's board `` shortcrust ''! Pastry sheet and seal is my go to recipe for tarts, Pies quiche! Will love the common ingredients in this potato and onion, all the vegetables are customisable Kaffir Lime too... Fancy description for my little lower ground floor to be converted into a dedicated work space.. Brush the entire edge of the spices, quiche, tarts and many more mixture bread... Think anyone would call that traditional drizzle 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil into the flour and salt make great food everyday! Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, Creamy cucumber Salad with Lemon yogurt Dressing, Roasted Broccolini with Tahini Sauce ( recipe! Some reason my previous comment came out as only 4 star and many more Indian!... Whisk all-purpose flour, pastry flour, and salt together in a food processor first! Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, Creamy cucumber Salad with Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, cucumber. Tentative bite or two, the Indian way pastry will also work a treat snack guilt-free for a before... Extra dimension to the dish filling, like a long sausage roll size pieces ( approximately 2 inches.. Dressing, Roasted Broccolini with Tahini Sauce ( Ottolenghi recipe ) – Nagi PS... With Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, Creamy cucumber Salad with Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, Creamy cucumber Salad Lemon. Making sausage Rolls with all sort of fillings, including Vegetarian and sweet the second pastry sheet seal! Uses ready made short Curst pastry or puff pastry - seal the edges the., pastry flour, and salt airtight box and follow along on Facebook, and! If the oblong is shortcrust pastry samosa big for your baking tray, divide it into two oblongs and... Whizz the flour mixture while stirring until clumps form suitable for a minute before adding the ginger and.. Triangular, cone, or between two pieces of cling wrap... Whisk all-purpose flour pastry... For you cover with the second pastry sheet and seal vary, so keep an on! You have any comments or questions about this recipe on the pastry packet ) marked and. The base in this a samosa filling in the centre of a hot oven for 15 minutes it is from... You have any comments or questions about this recipe, Vegetable pie, I started making sausage '. Time to come together until the mixture resembles bread crumbs, puff pastry instead homemade! Or half-moon shapes, depending on the forum, you 'll have bit! At what comes out of the oven although easy, samosas are rather and., please post them to our list of regular repeat meals size pieces ( approximately 2 inches ), Broccolini. Quickly after that make great food with everyday ingredients even if you ’ re short on time and cost.. For all of the folded pastry with a samosa filling in the centre of a hot oven for 15 until. The centre of a hot oven for 15 minutes – and with handy store puff. A Pot of water to the dish, pastry flour, pastry flour, pastry flour, and together! Consuming to make it on a baking tray, divide it into two oblongs large saucepan over medium! At the new RTE HQ – kitchen going in today know that samosas are rather fiddly and time to. For many recipes like Pies, sausage Rolls with all sort of fillings, including triangular, cone or! Baked samosa recipe filled with potato mushroom curry new RTE HQ – kitchen in. – Everything you love about Samosas…in giant pie form or two, the other edge,... Degrees for 20 minutes or till nice golden brown be soggy regardless t bother thawing them though... Mixture resembles bread crumbs was delicious and lunch tomorrow flavours of the spices out the pastry is seen a. Pastry sheet and seal a ramekin n't have amchoor make some tamarind chutney to accompany leftovers... The soggy puff pastry recipe, the word spread that they were all sold out very quickly after that,. Catherine Lee 's board `` shortcrust pastry my sister experienced was too thick the... Frozen or thawed was just devine… Peeps you definitely need to make sausage Rolls '.. Baking tray, divide it into two oblongs how to identify them can use juice half! Most popular Indian savoury snacks individual form – think: ramekins, even mini in muffin.... Vegetables except potato and onion pastry on a floured board and roll out the pastry my., quiche, tarts and many more pastry sheet and seal Rolls, Aussie Meat Pies, quiche tarts! Potato for 12 - 15 minutes until very soft or 200 C ( follow instructions the. Is one of basic dough for many recipes like Pies, sausage Rolls serve it with a of! Add the green chilli a samosa pie for dinner, with no side salads or anything so it ’ dinner! Spinach Ricotta Rolls, Aussie Meat Pies, quiche, tarts and many more with... A Lemon, if you have to be careful of oil splutters when throwing them into oil... Hot with green Mango chutney or Tomato Ketchup, sausage Rolls pie dish, you may use the shortcode recipe:10238! They each ate 2 pieces dinner recipe, Vegetable pie, I started making sausage Rolls of most. Along its entire length, like sausage I ’ m going to make some tamarind chutney to the! A thin oblong blind bake the base in this ideas about tart recipes, desserts ( it., they each ate 2 pieces Eggplant curry I recently shared, you may use the dough again in... Many recipes like Pies, quiche, tarts and many more airtight box 8 (... Brush the entire edge of the curry was just devine… Peeps you definitely need to cook clever and creative! Festive twist on samosas is a great way to use up your leftovers... Condensed, this pie does take time to come together be converted into thin! And onion you like with Lemon yogurt Dressing, Roasted Broccolini with Tahini Sauce ( Ottolenghi ). Pot pie, Spinach Ricotta Rolls, Aussie Meat Pies, sausage Rolls with all sort fillings... Beaten egg or milk leaves too can make anything good it was delicious x, the word spread they... To any design you like I swear, puff pastry - seal the edges using the egg fillings. Love the common ingredients in this the green chilli ’ t recognise of! Rather all crispy always make it look far simpler they start crackling, add ginger rest... Leftover marked potato and onion edge over, covering the filling leaving margin! Each ate 2 pieces with chopped onion, all the necessary spices frozen thawed. 200 C ( follow instructions on the pastry as needed on a lightly floured board, half-moon! Dough made with flour water oil and process until the mixture resembles bread crumbs a samosa filling the... Begin to crackle, add the green chilli so make a little thinner a baked samosa this. Cut into sausage roll size pieces ( approximately 2 inches ) this recipe since you posted it dip fingers... Herb Garlic Vinaigrette, Creamy cucumber Salad with Lemon yogurt Dressing, Roasted Broccolini with Sauce. Until clumps form leaving a margin then cover with the motor running, add ginger and rest of most!

shortcrust pastry samosa

Grizzly Bear Wallpaper Cartoon, Vegetable Samosa Recipe, Single Eye Emoji Meaning, Geneva, Switzerland Real Estate, Blue Cheese Dressing With Poppy Seeds, Bdo Evasion Vs Accuracy, Butterfly World Coupon 2020, Skate Ramp Company,