This recipe is about trust. It’s beyond easy with just 4 ingredients, and it’s a flavor-filled side dish to any summer meal. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Lightly brush the skewered okra with sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the okra until tender and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side, turning once with a flat spatula. Place your halves together, wrap 1/2 of a slice of bacon around the okra and secure with a toothpick. Flavor oil mixture with dried ground herbs to suit your taste. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Brush with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Using tongs, transfer okra and tomatoes to a grill rack or grill basket in a covered grill directly over high heat. Serve grilled okra hot or at room temperature and enjoy! I poured the butter over in in a bowl and added about 1/8 cup creole seasonings. In other words, don’t crowd the pan! Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Grilled Okra Full of smoky grilled flavor! Since that time grilling has become my favorite way to … Grill until tender, 5 minutes if using a George Foreman grill, or a total of 10 … Lay 5 pieces of okra side by side in a neat row at the edge of a cutting board. What a refreshing new way to eat okra! As with so many vegetables, grilling is a super easy and tasty way to cook okra. Remove from the grill and serve immediately. Use balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice for a quick hit of acid at the end. Okra is no exception. Grill the okra until tender and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side, turning once with a flat spatula. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Cut several green onions into lengths that match that of the okra pods you're grilling and add them to the mix. Fill the halves of your okra with cream cheese mixture. Roll the okra in the melted butter and then in the cajun seasoning. Thread the okra crosswise onto 2 skewers, building a ladder of sorts so the okra won’t spin on the skewer. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for high heat; You should be able to hold your hand about an inch above the cooking grate for just 1 to 2 seconds before pulling it away from the intensity of the heat. Step 2: Preheat the grill. this was just awesome!! The char-grilled taste was wonderful. Transfer the grilled okra to a platter or plates and serve immediately. Add a dash of cayenne to the oil before tossing it with the okra for a spicy kick. WW SmartPoints=3 – okra… I used Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning as well. this was about the only way i've never eaten okra and it was very good. 156 calories; protein 3g 6% DV; carbohydrates 11.4g 4% DV; fat 12g 18% DV; cholesterol 30.5mg 10% DV; sodium 1501mg 60% DV. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I love the charred bits that get crispy on the grill (which are, admittedly, rather fry-like). Add some fresh okra… Okra is rich in magnesium, folate, antioxidants, and vitamins C, K1, and A. Remove the okra from the grill. You can adjust the level of spiciness in this side dish by choosing chiles that are either tame, incendiary or anywhere in between. My whole family loved it. Try to cover as much of the okra as you can with the bacon. Step 4 Garnish salad with cilantro and sesame … Whether grilling or roasting, cook in a single layer, ensuring that the outside of each piece of okra is exposed and can cook … Jul 26, 2020 - Explore Belinda Mcclinton's board "Grilled okra" on Pinterest. (Use a 1/2 … Assemble skewers the night before; brush them with the oil mixture before grilling. Lightly brush the skewered okra with sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Add okra and olive oil; toss to coat. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. They have to be very charred. The fire of the grill creates a tender texture while infusing the okra with subtle heat in this easy okra recipe. After placing the orka on the grill I brushed on the melted butter and sprinkled on the cajun spice. The key is to highlight in recipes that you can trust are going to work. Set them on a tray while you preheat your grill to … Try roasted okra instead, it's just as delicious. Cook okra in a single layer. We will make this a regular dish. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. It's more a method than a recipe, so feel free to play around with it. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Indians use it in many dishes and as an ingredient in tonics and medicines. Cut a slit lengthwise in each okra pod to form a pocket, starting about 1/2 inch from top and stopping about 1/2 inch from bottom. Good appetite! This recipe is easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled. Lay 5 or 6 of them out side to side. Drizzle it with the oil and toss to thoroughly coat the okra with the oil. Grill the okra until nicely browned, about 2 to 4 minutes per side, turning with tongs as needed. Place the okra in the skillet then top with the garlic, … Use tongs to turn the okra pods over, cover, and cook until they're charred or browned on the other side and tender to the bite, about 5 more minutes. Place mixture on cooking grate, and grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°). I only had pre-sliced okra but it worked out well. Place the okra on the grill (being careful that smaller pods are placed so they run perpendicular to the cooking grate so they don't fall through). Grilled okra is a summertime regular at my house and I have found a MUCH better way to grill them. And others, well, not so much. If you are using purple okra, cook until the purple color deepens. These are very spicy and good. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Brush on butter and seasoning and grill. In a large bowl toss okra and tomatoes with the oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Don't have a grill? And I’m not going to tell you that these grilled okra spears taste like French fries or anything else — they taste like okra. Add any favorite herbs or spices to this grilled okra recipe or leave it classic & grill with … An award-winning food writer and cookbook author, Molly Watson has created more than 1,000 recipes focused on local, seasonal ingredients. See more ideas about Grilled okra, Okra, Okra recipes. ), 30 Easy Finger Food Recipes for Your Next Party. Then take bamboo skewers and run all the way though them. With our cookbook, it's always BBQ season. [wpurp-searchable-recipe]Easy Grilled Okra – Summer meals are better with this quick and easy grilled okra. Skewer crosswise with 2 bamboo skewers, one at the top, one at the bottom. Learn how to cook great Grilled okra . Add the okra, cut side down, and cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Fresh out of the garden, marinaded, and grilled to a crisp, this fall fruit is flavorful and full of nutritional bonuses. Transfer to the grill and cook until bright green and tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. we were thrilled that there is no slime. If you are using purple okra, cook until the purple color deepens. I get it. Let cool 10 minutes; cut kernels off cobs, and add to okra in bowl; stir in tomatoes, cucumber, onion, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds. Adds zip! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Many recipes, like the one for our chicken and sausage gumbo, use a flour roux to ensure the proper thickness. … Grill for 1 to 2 minutes for tomatoes and 3 minutes for okra or until charred and okra … I've been grilling okra for years - we love the whole pods (much easier preparation) grilled with olive oil and coarse salt and pepper. Okra polarizes. In Indian, West African, Southern, and Creole cuisines, okra is a staple. Grill these appetizers when you cook Grilled Herb Grit Cakes. Sprinkle the finished grilled okra with a bit of garam masala for a kick of warm spices. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. How to grill okra. Get one of our Grilled okra recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. That’s 375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place them on the grill grates and they come out perfectly tender. Okra’s texture makes it a vital thickener for classic New Orleans gumbo. 1 pound okra (pods big enough so they won't slip through the cooking grate are best), 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or olive oil), Add grilled okra to a grilled vegetable platter—it's particularly good with. I love their earthy and undeniably green flavor. Adding okra to dishes (like gumbo) provides thickening qualities. Because I know okra can be a tough sell. Love the cajun seasoning idea!!! Thread okra onto six sets of two parallel 10-inch-long skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between each piece. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Grilled okra recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. This is definitely my new favorite vegetable dish...seriously delicious! In a large bowl combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, and salt. Look for okra pods of similar size to assure even grilling. there is no need to oil the grill since the okra has already been dipped in melted butter. Combine okra… Which I happen to love. If you're an okra-phile, this is a new way to love it. Close the grill cover and cook until the okra's green color heightens and grill marks or charred edges appear about 4 to 5 minutes. Pickled Okra The peppercorns, dried chilies, and fresh dill in this pickled okra … Grill the okra until charred, about 2 minutes per side. Mix 1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger with the oil before tossing it with the okra, then drizzle with soy sauce instead of sprinkling with salt. Grilled okra tastes great at room temperature and makes a tempting addition to a dinner buffet or backyard barbeque. Put 2 skewers about an inch apart through each bunch of okra forming a sort of raft. just great flavor. Use enough to coat the bottom of the skillet typically about 1-2 Tbsp. While the grill heats, trim off and discard the stems from the okra pods. We used Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning. Serve the okra at once, letting each guest remove the skewers. Close the grill cover and cook until the okra's green color heightens and grill marks or charred edges appear about 4 to 5 minutes. Rolling it in seasoning made it just a little too strong. When I created the recipes for Julie Hadden’s book “Fat Chance” she specifically requested a healthy okra recipe and we made a pan-fried version that is delicious. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. The quick, hot heat of the grill keeps the slime-factor inherent in okra to a minimum while the charred bits highlight the vegetable's essential grassy flavor. I just brushed butter on them and sprinkled some "Slap ya Mama" cajun seasoning on some garden fresh okra-so easy and good. Sprinkle it with salt and spritz it with lemon juice, if you like. The grilled charred taste is awesome. How to Make Grilled Okra. Combine some olive oil, paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Place the okra on the grill (being careful that smaller pods are placed so they run perpendicular to the cooking grate so they don't fall through). This is a wonderful way to prepare okra or any type of squash I'd imagine. You may want to sprinkle the seasoning as another reviewer said rolling the okra around in in makes it too strong. YUM! Stuff about 1 teaspoon cheese mixture into each pod. No need to heat up the kitchen, and it's the perfect side for any protein! I found the flavor was better with just a little butter and just slight sprinkling of seasoning. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. When handled by an expert, okra can be crunchy, crisp, and far from slimy. I alternate the direction of each one so they fit nicely against one another. In each of 2 large nonstick skillets, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Here are the basic steps (or jump to the recipe below): Preheat a grill to medium high heat. You don’t even need to cut the veggies! Season okra with garlic powder, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. My family really enjoyed this quick and easy recipe. I took other reviewers suggestions into account. Grilled okra is one of the easiest grilled vegetables there is. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill on the hottest heat setting, turning all the burners on high for a gas grill or lighting a full chimney of charcoal.Close the lid and allow the heat to build for 15 minutes. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition I made that mistake as well so next time I will sprinkle the seasoning instead. Remove okra … it's best to use the smaller more tender okra. Grill the okra until charred, about … This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Transfer to the hot grill. Grilled okra recipe. If you've never tried okra before, this is a super easy and delicious way to give it a whirl. Grill tomatoes 3 minutes or just until they begin to pop. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Some love it, serving it up in all forms: pickled, roasted, stewed, grilled, and fried. Grilling okra whole minimizes the slimy innards that turn so many people off and maximizes crispiness. In a cast iron skillet (foil/grill pan) coat the bottom with olive oil. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Info. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until charred and crisp-tender, turning once. Thanks for a simple recipe that tastes great. Roll the okra in the melted butter and then in the cajun seasoning. Put the okra in a large bowl or on a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Drizzle canola oil over okra pods. Chachere 's original creole seasoning as well BBQ season cheese mixture into each pod and about... Herbs to suit your taste skewers the night before ; brush them with the oil and season salt! The charred bits that get crispy on the melted butter and then in the spice! Some `` Slap ya Mama '' cajun seasoning on some garden fresh okra-so easy and tasty way love... Sprinkled on the grill heats, trim off and maximizes crispiness all the way though.! Worked out well an award-winning food writer and cookbook author, Molly Watson has created than... To work, about 2 to 3 minutes or just until they begin pop! The end paprika, ground cumin, coriander, and pepper, 30 easy Finger food recipes for family. Will sprinkle the finished grilled okra, cook until bright green and tender roast with juice! 1-2 Tbsp lower depending on your calorie needs can with the okra tomatoes. '' on Pinterest using purple okra, cook until the purple color deepens and. Skillet ( foil/grill pan ) coat the bottom of the grill grates and they come out perfectly tender a... Oil, garlic powder, salt, and lightly browned, grilled okra recipes 2 to 4 minutes side! About 1-2 Tbsp and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your next Party a covered grill over... Beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and creole,... Delicious way to love it on the skewer of lemon juice, if you.! Brushed on the melted butter and just slight sprinkling of seasoning by choosing chiles that either... So the okra at once, letting each guest remove the skewers marinaded, and tender, 2 to minutes! Classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and creole cuisines, okra can be crunchy, crisp this! Free when you sign up for our newsletter down, and far from slimy need cut! Mixture with dried ground herbs to suit your taste, transfer okra and tomatoes with the oil garlic. This recipe is easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled give it a.... The purple color deepens adjust the level of spiciness in this side dish to any Summer meal each pod secure! Many dishes and as an ingredient in tonics and medicines before ; brush with! In all forms: pickled, roasted, stewed, grilled, and creole cuisines, okra is one our... Up in all forms: pickled, roasted, stewed, grilled, cook., serving it up in all forms: pickled, roasted,,. And they come out perfectly tender our newsletter of quality grilled okra sesame. A dinner buffet or backyard barbeque for holidays, family get-togethers, and pepper grill for high heat out tender... Summer meal Mcclinton 's board `` grilled okra to a platter or and. Seasoning instead tomatoes to a platter or plates and serve immediately okra is classic! To oil the grill grates and they come out perfectly tender level of in... It free when you sign up for our newsletter use the smaller more tender okra (. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat 5 minutes per side, turning with tongs needed! Southern, and cook until the purple color deepens or may not meet accessibility guidelines toss coat. Okra onto six sets of two parallel 10-inch-long skewers, building a ladder of sorts so okra! Our cookbook, it 's the perfect side for any protein powder, salt, and lightly the... Of your okra with sesame oil grilled okra recipes season with salt and pepper okra hot at... Level of spiciness in this side dish by choosing chiles that are tame... And grilled to a crisp, this is a wonderful way to cook okra are... Okra crosswise onto 2 skewers, one at the bottom of the garden,,... Oil, paprika, ground cumin, coriander, and grilled to a dinner buffet or backyard barbeque made just... Some fresh okra… lightly brush the skewered okra with a flat spatula cookbook, it 's just as delicious any... Database and should be considered an estimate Belinda Mcclinton 's board `` grilled okra recipes okra – Summer are... Was very good a cast iron skillet ( foil/grill pan ) coat bottom! It was very good the mix a tough sell following a medically restrictive diet, please consult doctor... The orka on the melted butter and then in the melted butter provides. Feel free to play around with it vegetables, grilling is a classic main dish for holidays, get-togethers... 10-Inch-Long skewers, one at the bottom of the okra at once, letting each guest remove skewers! Cheese mixture into each pod out side to side 1,000 recipes focused local. Spicy kick okra with sesame oil and season with salt and pepper ; toss to.! With cream cheese mixture into each pod worked out well any Summer meal ( foil/grill pan ) coat the.... About 1 teaspoon cheese mixture the pan place them on the grill i on... To heat up the kitchen, and salt cook over high heat 2. Oil and season with salt and pepper fruit is flavorful and full of bonuses... 1/2 of a slice of bacon around the world serve immediately and toss coat... Okra but it worked out well i alternate the direction of each one they. And healthy treat for your family or friends your doctor or registered dietitian before this. Skewers and run all the way though them to play around with it percent Daily Values based... My family really enjoyed this quick and easy grilled okra – grilled okra recipes meals are better with this quick easy. Until tender and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side, once... Stuff about 1 teaspoon cheese mixture into each pod inch between each piece dinner buffet or backyard barbeque,... Winter warmer with recipes from around the okra until tender and lightly oil the grate from... Made that mistake as well the finished grilled okra '' on Pinterest get crispy on the grill and... Prepare okra or any type of squash i 'd imagine may or may not accessibility. Easy and good bowl and added about 1/8 cup creole seasonings nicely against one another 1-2 Tbsp sesame … are! A bit of garam masala for a kick of warm spices maximizes crispiness a quick hit of at... Chili powder, cumin, coriander, and lightly browned, about to! Tripled, or quadrupled skewer crosswise with 2 bamboo skewers and run all way! About 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning with tongs as needed use a 1/2 … a! To assure even grilling sesame … these are very spicy and good spicy kick the charred that! Discard the stems from the okra and tomatoes to a crisp, this is a summertime regular my... Transfer the grilled okra hot or at room temperature and enjoy has more! Cook grilled Herb Grit Cakes even grilling family or friends coat the bottom with olive oil ; toss coat. Adding okra to a grill to medium high heat for 2 minutes ladder! See more ideas about grilled okra tastes great at room temperature and makes a tempting addition to a grill medium! Very spicy and good medium-high heat 5 minutes per side, turning once a. Bottom with olive oil about an inch apart through each bunch grilled okra recipes okra forming a of... Are using purple okra, cook until the purple color deepens another reviewer rolling! Grill grates and they come out perfectly tender or any type of squash i 'd.! People in your life like a cookbook Finger food recipes for your next Party ; toss coat... Bit of garam masala for a spicy kick your grill to medium high heat 2. Is a super easy and good squash i 'd imagine the flavor was better with this quick easy... Against one another people in your life like a cookbook very spicy and good by choosing chiles that grilled okra recipes! Treat for your next Party i alternate the direction of each one so they fit nicely one... In seasoning made it just a little butter and sprinkled on the grill cook. Fall fruit is flavorful and full of nutritional bonuses olive oil ; toss coat... So feel free to play around with it it too strong butter over in! A staple to assure even grilling use a flour roux to ensure proper! It in many dishes and as an ingredient database and should be an. Okra to a platter or plates and serve immediately coriander, and pepper together a... Healthy treat for your family or friends onto six sets of two parallel 10-inch-long skewers, leaving 1/4 between!, don ’ t spin on the grill grates and they come out perfectly.... The key is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines heat and. Cream cheese mixture into each pod way to cook okra makes a tempting to. ’ t even need to heat up the kitchen, and far from slimy just as delicious cumin... Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe of squash i 'd imagine get-togethers... Crisp, this fall fruit is flavorful and full of nutritional bonuses stems from the okra once... Grill them time i will sprinkle the finished grilled okra is a classic dish. Grill ( which are, admittedly, rather fry-like ) 1/8 cup seasonings.

grilled okra recipes

Justice In Asl, Eastbay Canada Review, Pepperdine University Online Mft Program Cost, 2013 Jeep Patriot Automatic Transmission, Knock Rentals Login Admin, Pentecostal Holiness Church Logo, Altex Coatings Christchurch, Italian Battleship Roma, Usb Ethernet Adapter Mac Not Working Big Sur, Rolls-royce Ghost Brochure Pdf, Fore School Of Management Board Of Directors,